What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the line draw, when you say no "not eating that" ?

horrie hastings

First Grade
Frogs legs.

Had frogs legs when I was in Singapore back in the 90s, can’t say I was neither here or there’s with them, would try them again though, snails are the one that bugs me, tried some at a French degustation dinner, really battled to get one in my mouth and have never gone that close again, couldn’t tell you what it tasted like but just the thought of it means I would never touch them again.

The Rosco

Bench
This'll cause an uproar . . . . . My line is drawn at mangoes. Those putrid, vile, fruit of the devil. The smell makes you dry reach. To watch merkins slobber away at them like they are eating a pussy is simply disgusting and vomit inducing. I'm 55years old and one has never passed my lips. A mango, that is . . .
While we are at it, cooked apples/apple pies ( especially while still hot ). Actually, any warm dessert. Why not just save time and stick 2 fingers up your arse, then down your throat straight after ?
The first cafe I see with hot mango pie as a dessert will be firebombed within a week.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Haven't had Tripe for a while but the Wife does a good version, lightly boiled with some peas and corn in a white sauce, hard to find the tripe these days but will have to have a closer look, Pigs Trotters, your thoughts?.

I would be up to trying pig trotters, my uncle used to work at the abbattoir at Homebush back in the 60s and I remember him bringing them home and my Aunty used to cook them, have to admit she never served them to us when visited or stayed there though. When we lived at Paddington my father used to fix the phones at Anderson’s small goods, he used to bring home all sorts of meats and Frankfurts but the one I remember most was black pudding, he used to fry it up for breakfast, I loved it, don’t have it much these days but I still love it when I have it.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
This'll cause an uproar . . . . . My line is drawn at mangoes. Those putrid, vile, fruit of the devil. The smell makes you dry reach. To watch merkins slobber away at them like they are eating a pussy is simply disgusting and vomit inducing. I'm 55years old and one has never passed my lips. A mango, that is . . .
While we are at it, cooked apples/apple pies ( especially while still hot ). Actually, any warm dessert. Why not just save time and stick 2 fingers up your arse, then down your throat straight after ?
The first cafe I see with hot mango pie as a dessert will be firebombed within a week.

I'm with you on Mangoes.

But get the f**k out of here with that view on apple pie.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I love the anger.

I used to get dragged to a market every Sunday once, I remember mainly the guy who yelled "Get ya Bowen Mangoes customers" for hours.

Did have a Mango tree in my yard once too, never ate them, kids liked them but.

Chickens Feet at Yum Cha is great.

In Saigon I ate a snake’s beating heart, drank its blood and bile (seperately) in rice wine and then they cooked it 3 different ways which was delicious.

Steak and kidney is good. Haven’t had much more offal than that but would try anything once....

Apart from those half-formed duck foetuses they eat in China. They crack the egg and there it is. Pick off any larger feathers and get into it. Yikes!

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Apart from those half-formed duck foetuses they eat in China. They crack the egg and there it is. Pick off any larger feathers and get into it. Yikes!
In the Philippines they eat boiled chicken eggs that have a baby chicken inside. Call them crunchy eggs. Colour the shell purple so you can know which kind of egg is which. They sell them singly in shops. Not something I'd try.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'm with you on Mangoes.

Mangoes I can take or leave, I can eat it but I wouldn’t buy one myself and I don’t really like the texture or smell. I really used to dislike apple pie mainly because of those horrible frozen Nannas brand ones but I found a Greek cake shop in Marrickville which made their own and they were beautiful, sad the shop doesn’t exist anymore.

The Rosco

Bench
I'm with you on Mangoes.

So we are at 1 out of 2.
I'm OK with that.
I recently went on a cruise with the Mrs. At our regular table for dinner, the waitress only Fkkd up once by bringing me a hot choc lava cake. Every night from there, my lava was fridged and served at an appropriate temperature. And not a cooked apple in sight. Happy to sling her a $50 on the last night.

And Horrie . . . . whadd'ya reckon mate ? if they sold apple pies it's a recipe for business failure !! . . . kidding, while I still hate them . . . it's sad losing an old school cake/pie/sports/anything shop.
Off topic . . . I once cooked a BBQ with Horrie himself at one of the many yr 12 end of school parties back in the day. Real nice bloke. I met his Mrs, too. Now I know where Jackson gets his rugged good looks from.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Chickens Feet at Yum Cha is great.

Steak and kidney is good. Haven’t had much more offal than that but would try anything once....
!

Chicken feet done properly are fine but a lot of yum cha places do them badly, one place I go to for yum cha has duck feet, I order them when they have them, love the webbing, beautiful and gelatinous.

kidney I really dislike, goes back to those horrible steak and kidney pies but I don’t mind liver, I won’t eat a lot of it but I don’t mind it, actually love chicken livers and all the other bits like gizzards and hearts from the chook.

Think I might skip on the snakes heart, blood and bile though :wink:

horrie hastings

First Grade
And Horrie . . . . whadd'ya reckon mate ? if they sold apple pies it's a recipe for business failure !! . . . kidding, while I still hate them . . . it's sad losing an old school cake/pie/sports/anything shop.
Off topic . . . I once cooked a BBQ with Horrie himself at one of the many yr 12 end of school parties back in the day. Real nice bloke. I met his Mrs, too. Now I know where Jackson gets his rugged good looks from.

The ladies would have been about a 100 when they retired, it was sad day, great little business, they used to make beautiful biscuits too and would always slip you a few extra. I haven’t met Horrie but my sister worked with him for a while at Easts Leagues club when she trying to get some extra money to travel overseas, she thought he was a real nob at first but she stayed back for after work drinks one day and reckons he was a really nice guy away from the work environment.

Last edited: