1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL & NRLW along with the match programme for the coming weekend of action in the NRL Finals, NRLW, Challenge Cup, Super League, NZRL and the Toulouges Nines!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber goes one-on-one with retired NRL match official Gavin Badger, Rick Edgerton looks at some of the legendary halves pairings as Penrith pair Nathan Cleary & Jarome Luai ascend to potential greatness, and we look at a world of rugby league this coming weekend with Steve Mascord.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Finals Week 3, NRLW Round 3, Challenge Cup Final, Super League Round 16, NZRL Premiership and Toulouges Nines programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 21 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Where to?

Discussion in 'Sydney Roosters' started by adamkungl, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo First Grade

So Flanagan gone after 29 first grade games, but we go all in on Lam in 2021 after playing a whole 11 first grade games. Gee nothing will go wrong there o_O

2. Valheru

Valheru Coach

I believe Kyle was never anything more than (hopefully) a cog in the wheel to keep the machine going and get a 3 peat.

That obviously didn't occur and they clearly don't believe he is a long term solution there. They are probably not confident of getting back to the GF in the next few years so may as well go with whomever they do think the best long term option is and give him time to develop.

3. H.H

H.H Juniors

Yeah we all remember that and he copped a bake from Robbo for it. That said, it's just part of his learning as a player and I have no doubt he took that option as he's scored that try every single time through his junior career and thought he would again.

Tough way to learn that it doesn't work that way in first grade.

Anyway, I just think he works better with Keary, is far more of a threat with the ball and has a better all round game than Flannagan, kicking aside.

Let's see how it plays out - hell, they're talking about Pearce coming back.

4. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

If someone wants to buy Flanno, maybe the club wouldn't stand in his way, but that's not necessarily the same as punting him.
    We have an extra halfback and either this year or next one of them has to go, so if the situation resolves itself then so be it.

Babyface O'reilly and Valheru like this.
  5. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

Also regarding Pearce, I always liked him and was sad when he left, but his 2020 season was pretty limp even considering the Knights made the finals. I very much doubt we'd go back to the future on this one, but I would find the reactions very very funny

6. Valheru

Valheru Coach

The more opposition fans that show outrage over the prospect of Flanno leaving, the more I am convinced we are on the right track.

The Fanatical Rooster likes this.
  7. Babyface O'reilly

Babyface O'reilly First Grade

I wasn’t that enamoured with tbh. Partly my fault as I had lofty expectations. Thought he let us down quite often and 2016 Australia Day was the last straw for me when he embarrassed the club. Agreed with the club’s hierarchy that he wasn’t going to take the club to the next level and haven’t seen anything at Newcastle that might suggest that things have changed..

8. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

Nrl.com is reporting we have told Flanno he won't be at the club after 2021. So perhaps some truth to the rumours after all.
    Looks like Robbo will back Lam and Walker.

Babyface O'reilly likes this.
  9. Captain Apollo

10. Babyface O'reilly

Babyface O'reilly First Grade

And yet another search for a goal kicker begins.

11. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

For what it's worth, Flanno still isn't "punted" - yet.
    If he sticks around for 2021 as contracted he'll get his chance, and if he performs, plans can change.

12. Captain Apollo

Not if Sam Walker winds up filling the spot. IIRC, he is an established goal kickers in the lower grades and in his junior footy.

Babyface O'reilly likes this.
  13. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

Kinda funny that everyone's so obsessed with which rookie half we're keeping that no one's bothered discussing any of the prelim finals actually being played this week.

Babyface O'reilly and Valheru like this.
  14. Valheru

Valheru Coach

The furore over the roosters choosing to not re-sign a player is rather amusing.

15. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

you think they'd be half as oUtRaGeD if we let Lam go instead of Flanno? One of them won't survive 2021. No way around it. No mention of Hutch in their Poor Flanno nonsense either

Valheru likes this.
  16. 10$ Ferret

10$ Ferret Juniors

Helenburg, Gymea, maybe Mt Druit and Bondi Utd are the only ones I can think of.
    Unfortunately the kid isn't a first grader. He did not improve on iota all year

17. 10$ Ferret

10$ Ferret Juniors

I hope Walker come good. He controls the game nicely but is too skinny and certainly doesn't have any of the Walker speed. I can't believe all the wraps on him and he hasn't done anything of note. U18s SOO is still age based and means nothing in terms of what you can do in the NRL

18. The Fanatical Rooster

The Fanatical Rooster Juniors

A few thoughts:

-- It is disappointing for Flanno, sure, but footy is a business, and we as a club are in the business of winning premierships, not for being a bleeding heart and charity case. Do you think the Storm are second guessing their decision to let Brodie Croft go? Not for a split second.

-- Walker, while most probably our long term answer, is not ready yet. He needs to be nurtured and carefully managed in his transition to first grade. We don't want to see his development be damaged or stunted for the sake of having a short term fix. Lam will act as an insurance policy of sorts. By keeping Verrills and Lussick, we are providing further depth in the halves as well if need be.

-- The idea of Pearce, or others I have heard about such as Benji, James Maloney, Blake Green or Josh Reynolds, coming to the club are nonsensical. Jimmy is the most sensible, but I cannot see him leaving France anytime soon.

-- On the games over the weekend, I am very happy with the results - Penrith knocked out the Vermin (so that can only be a good thing!) and the Storm accounted for the six again Faiders. Happy days! I'll be neutral next week.

RoosTah likes this.
  19. Captain Apollo

According to Brett Read of The Australian the main reason we've told Flanno won't be re-signed, and why they may give him an early release is due to lack of salary cap space. Teddy wants more money than expected, hence there are insufficient fund to re-sigjn him, the Morris' and Friend without moving someone on.

20. Headless Chook

Headless Chook Juniors

Something’s definitely on the nose in this whole scenario. For what it’s worth I thought he played above what I expected. Put it this way, he didn’t stink.

If the club moves him on it won’t be due to his on field efforts.