What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Qld NRL clubs play during the Brisbane Olympics?

Steel Saints

Juniors
So Brisbane have won the rights to host the Olympic Games in 2032. The dates for those games are 'tentatively' set for July 23 to August 8. With that timeframe, it obviously falls during the NRL season.

Back in Sydney 2000, the event was held post season from September 15 to October 1. In that year, the NRL began its season a month early.

When the Brisbane Olympics are underway, Suncorp, Townsville, CBus, Sunshine Coast and even Barlow Park in Cairns would be all unavailable. So where will the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, (Brisbane II) play?

Would the NRL have those sides drawn to play away from home during the Olympics?
Would the NRL shut down the comp for a few weeks?
Or a possible new boutique stadium in Brisbane (cap 20000) to accommodate a second team in the city?

Thoughts...

steeden.

Juniors
I assume the NRL will pause during the Olympics (why compete for the media attention). There’ll be a bump-in period for Olympic venues, so maybe the Queensland clubs play away during that time.

Venues that could be useable still, and who have hosted a NRL game, trial, or Test, include:
- GC: Carrara (the Lions might have to play a few seasons there in the leadup)
- Cairns: Cazaly’s
- Mackay: BB Print Stadium
- Toowoomba: Clive Berghofer
- Redcliffe: Dolphin Oval
- Gladstone: Marley Brown
- Rockhampton: Browne Park

roofromoz

First Grade
I assume the NRL will pause during the Olympics (why compete for the media attention). There’ll be a bump-in period for Olympic venues, so maybe the Queensland clubs play away during that time.

Venues that could be useable still, and who have hosted a NRL game, trial, or Test, include:
- GC: Carrara (the Lions might have to play a few seasons there in the leadup)
- Cairns: Cazaly’s
- Mackay: BB Print Stadium
- Toowoomba: Clive Berghofer
- Redcliffe: Dolphin Oval
- Gladstone: Marley Brown
- Rockhampton: Browne Park

I am sure I read somewhere that the IOC does not permit (or at least encourage) domestic sporting competitions of any kind running at the same time as the Olympics in the host country, which is why I think the NRL season was bought a month forward in 2000 with the grand final in late August.

seanoff

Juniors
If the NRL and AFL want to keep going, they’ll be out of QLD for at least a month. There is usually a period before the games where the stadiums have to be prepared.

The team most impacted will be the Lions. The Gabba will be out of action for at least 3 years.

big hit!

Bench
I am sure I read somewhere that the IOC does not permit (or at least encourage) domestic sporting competitions of any kind running at the same time as the Olympics in the host country, which is why I think the NRL season was bought a month forward in 2000 with the grand final in late August.

I was under this impression too. From at least two weeks prior to the olympic event and until the closing ceremony (usually held on a Sunday), domestic professional competitions have to cease play.

The 2000 NRL GF was held on 27 Aug
The 2000 AFL GF was a week later on 2 Sep
The 2000 Olympics began 15 Sep

That's basically a month of no NRL or AFL. I'll assume the seasons will be extended by a month to the end of October.

bileduct

Coach
It's not just Queensland venues that are impacted.

Soccer games are being played all over the place, including the new SFS and AAMI Park.

Kougari Oval is a great place to watch the football. Just play the game there, Langlands Park and Dolphin Oval.

Wally Lewis, Pat Rafter, Sam Stosur, Ash Barty, Anna Meares and Johnathan Thurston have to be at the Opening Ceremony to light the Olympic flame. No fumbleballers can do it as they'll drop the torch.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
They’ll just play away games. domestic comps don’t have to stop during the olympics. therell be plenty of on the road venues available including nz, perth, Adelaide, marvel stadium, png, regional grounds etc etc.

Mind you if Vlandys is around much longer we won’t need to worry about having a comp in 11 years!

So Brisbane have won the rights to host the Olympic Games in 2032. The dates for those games are 'tentatively' set for July 23 to August 8. With that timeframe, it obviously falls during the NRL season.

Back in Sydney 2000, the event was held post season from September 15 to October 1. In that year, the NRL began its season a month early.

When the Brisbane Olympics are underway, Suncorp, Townsville, CBus, Sunshine Coast and even Barlow Park in Cairns would be all unavailable. So where will the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, (Brisbane II) play?

Would the NRL have those sides drawn to play away from home during the Olympics?
Would the NRL shut down the comp for a few weeks?
Or a possible new boutique stadium in Brisbane (cap 20000) to accommodate a second team in the city?

Thoughts...
Brisbane is hosting the Olympics?

Good to see this con job is on the decline.

Assuming the olympics run in late September. Usually that’s week 2/3 of the finals. In the current format to get a home game in week 2 or 3 of the finals you need to finish in the top 4.

I don’t think we have to worry about our 3 current Qld teams making the top 4, and if the second Brisbane team comes in just relocate them to Perth.

Latest posts