What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Qld NRL clubs play during the Brisbane Olympics?

Saxon

Bench
So Brisbane have won the rights to host the Olympic Games in 2032. The dates for those games are 'tentatively' set for July 23 to August 8. With that timeframe, it obviously falls during the NRL season.

Back in Sydney 2000, the event was held post season from September 15 to October 1. In that year, the NRL began its season a month early.

When the Brisbane Olympics are underway, Suncorp, Townsville, CBus, Sunshine Coast and even Barlow Park in Cairns would be all unavailable. So where will the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, (Brisbane II) play?

Would the NRL have those sides drawn to play away from home during the Olympics?
Would the NRL shut down the comp for a few weeks?
Or a possible new boutique stadium in Brisbane (cap 20000) to accommodate a second team in the city?

Thoughts...
Olympics will be dead by 2032.

big hit!

Bench
Haha true!
However, I am a sceptical mofo.
Rio and London time zones are not very friendly for us Aussies and with Tokyo an hour behind, the opening ceremony is at a very convenient time for viewers.

Anyway, until I see a Steeden in the Olympics, I've lost interest!

Have never understood how folks can follow a sport, but then claim to have absolutely no interest in any other sport on the planet.

Like some of the comments about athletics in here. Yeah, it's not rugby league. They don't chase after a ball and feature men crashing into each other for 80mins. But f**k me, the basics of putting one foot in front of the other in quick succession seems to be common between them.

Someguy

First Grade
A nice new stadium in Brisbane? Maybe they could finally host a grand final! I’m guessing this year stubborn NRL will prefer an empty stadium GF in Sydney than taking the game elsewhere

Munted

Bench
Have never understood how folks can follow a sport, but then claim to have absolutely no interest in any other sport on the planet.

Like some of the comments about athletics in here. Yeah, it's not rugby league. They don't chase after a ball and feature men crashing into each other for 80mins. But f**k me, the basics of putting one foot in front of the other in quick succession seems to be common between them.
Nah I'm not one of those NRL is life type folks.
Just don't get into individual sports (tennis, golf etc) and the Olympics is a big athletics carnival for me.
Motorsport is probably the closest 'individual' sport i get behind.
If there is a team sport involving a ball, I can get behind it!

Therein lies the problem of athletics for me, there’s not much else going on besides that - for the viewer sitting at home anyway. It lacks the gladiatorial aspect and sleight of hand for me. Doesn’t mean I don’t like other sports. Love soccer, cricket, NFL, F1 and MotoGP for example. Not much of a tennis fan - in fact, I think it’s a game for Mosman housewives but I’ll watch Wimbledon and AO. I’ve got the Olympics on Tele but it’s wallpaper, really.