What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

• 1st to 4th

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • 5th to 8th

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • 9th to 12th

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • 13th to 16th

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coffs dragon

Bench
Like a JetSki we'll be off to a fast start and leading the field. Then when the conditions get tough we'll die in the arse. Dragons power game under McJetski more of the same same....8th at best but more likely 9th!!!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
If I was selecting the team, I would have penciled in

1 Dufty
2 McDonald
3 Lomax
4 Lafai
5 Matherson Johns
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 Debelin
12 Simms
11 Frizzell
10 Graham
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 AhMau
15 Host
16 Kerr/Latimore
17 Leilua

With that team a lot would be riding on Dufty, Lomax and Matherson Johns being success stories. I think they all have it in them to be a success. We do have a very good pack and a very good pair of halves. They can provide the likes of Dufty, Lomax and Matherson Johns the right circumstances to enter first grade.

I think we should make the top 8. If the above mentioned youngsters get a shot and succeed, we could even be a top 4 team?

I have not seen much of Herbert or Garrick, but I would not mind if either of them were given a shot at centre or wing. McDonald failed to impress last season and if a youngster can take his spot, I would be fine with that. Nightingale is now too slow and should have retired from the NRL last season.
You don’t rate Joel Thompson?

_snafu_

Immortal
10th

We have no speed in our backline and other teams worked us out to address the “power game” - simply compress the defensive line (knowing that if our clunky passing does get out to an outside back, they can be easily handled).

Frank Facer

First Grade
You don’t rate Joel Thompson?
No I don't rate Thompson. I think Simms better than him and I want to see Host and Leilua develop their game in first grade. I am hoping that either or both Host and Leilua can be better than Thompson by 2019. I obviously won't mind if Thompson signs with another club for next season. I would be happy if we signed Wamsley, based on good reports and James Graham's recommendation.

Crush

Coach
After this thread runs its course I want to see a thread- what will be the actual starting 17 that McGregor will pick.
I reckon everyone will nail it! He is so predictable.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No I don't rate Thompson. I think Simms better than him and I want to see Host and Leilua develop their game in first grade. I am hoping that either or both Host and Leilua can be better than Thompson by 2019. I obviously won't mind if Thompson signs with another club for next season. I would be happy if we signed Wamsley, based on good reports and James Graham's recommendation.

62sOLc6.gif

ground zero

Juniors
an what if the saints lose the 1st 10 games in a row is it the coach the ceo or the players chosen fault?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
with this chimpanzee coaching? outside the 8.

this gonad-chewer would have turned the '55-'65 team into 11 consecutive spooners.

A gonad chewing chimpanzee.....now theres a visual......would that be his own or someone elses......in any case that is gold.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Runaway minor premiers.

Steamroll everyone in the finals.

2018 premiers. 60-0 vs roosters in GF.
This post is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin...

Firstly, we won't be runaway minor premiers, SOO will take care of that. Much of the Qld and NSW squads will be made up of Dragon players and we will drop most of our games around that time. Nevertheless we will be minor premiers with two rounds to spare.

Secondly we won't win 60-0, there is no way Gareth kicks ten from ten.

Finally, the most ridiculous claim, no way Roosters are playing in October without Pearce.

Otherwise, spot on.

Last edited:

dragon thomo

Juniors
I also believe that it would be good if Thompsen can move on, he is a good first grade player but thats it. If we want to improve we still need another front rower and a change to our outside backs.

Redhoopz

Juniors
6th - 10th .... I don't think they'll finish higher than sixth. I'd like to be proved wrong but I can't see it at this stage. Their inability to have a back up game plan or highlight and exploit any weakness in the opposition cost them.

Hopefully Hunt can take charge and lead the team around the park. Fingers crossed they abandon the midfield bombs every set, which always have us on the back foot.

Old Timer

Coach
For a coach that gets shit canned constantly a lot of people (72%) seem to think he can make the 8.
On those stats he can't be that bad a coach or is it just another year of false expectations and us lying to ourselves?

BBTB

Juniors
For a coach that gets shit canned constantly a lot of people (72%) seem to think he can make the 8.
On those stats he can't be that bad a coach or is it just another year of false expectations and us lying to ourselves?
It's the later..

JDHD

Juniors

I want to believe it's because we came ninth this year without a halfback, so adding a dominant playmaker will immediately translate into an ascended ladder position.

The reality is that nothing else has really changed, so why therefore should we expect to be any better than ninth on for and against?

BBTB

Juniors
I want to believe it's because we came ninth this year without a halfback, so adding a dominant playmaker will immediately translate into an ascended ladder position.

The reality is that nothing else has really changed, so why therefore should we expect to be any better than ninth on for and against?
For mine, I'll be hoping for the best but anticipating the worst.
Until they get a Coach we'll always be pushing it uphill.