What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which AFL game to go?

mikdalton

Juniors
Hello there.

Basically I'm English but at the end of this month I'm off to see my girlfriend in melbourne who is currently travelling. I'm a huge RL fan so naturally I'm off to Origin III but I'm also quite keen to take in an AFL game. Its something I've seen on TV and heard about an to be honest I find it quite bemusing, it looks quite skillless to be brutally honest but I still quite like watching it and presume it must have skill but I just quite fancy watching a game cos I've heard the atmosphere is one of the best things about it and my girlfriend went a game and loved that part of it.

Because I'll have been the Telstra dome for the RL game I want to go the MCG also because its so massive. The Richmond Collingwood game I've heard is supposed to have up to 80k there so this is a favourite, however I would like as to whether one of these games would be better,

Melbourne vs Port Adelaide
Hawthorn vs West Coast
Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

Any info would be good thanks. Plus I know its not sport related but where would be a good place to take my girl as a suprise either like for something to eat or just something different?

AuckMel

Bench
Melbourne v Port would be played in front of about 35000 people, but would be a pretty good game. The other two games "might" be ok, it's just that Hawthorn and the Kangaroos are playing so poorly.

Pies v Tigers should be a beauty, but you just never know. The atmosphere will be sensational no matter what.

meltiger

First Grade
mikdalton said:
Hello there.

Basically I'm English but at the end of this month I'm off to see my girlfriend in melbourne who is currently travelling. I'm a huge RL fan so naturally I'm off to Origin III but I'm also quite keen to take in an AFL game. Its something I've seen on TV and heard about an to be honest I find it quite bemusing, it looks quite skillless to be brutally honest but I still quite like watching it and presume it must have skill but I just quite fancy watching a game cos I've heard the atmosphere is one of the best things about it and my girlfriend went a game and loved that part of it.

Because I'll have been the Telstra dome for the RL game I want to go the MCG also because its so massive. The Richmond Collingwood game I've heard is supposed to have up to 80k there so this is a favourite, however I would like as to whether one of these games would be better,

Melbourne vs Port Adelaide
Hawthorn vs West Coast
Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

Any info would be good thanks. Plus I know its not sport related but where would be a good place to take my girl as a suprise either like for something to eat or just something different?

If you wanna see Victorian sport at it's best, the battle of the old enemies is the way to go.

Then you can go home and say you saw Richmond SMASH Collingwood :)

Definately Pies V Tigers mate, as Auckmel says, the atmosphere at that game will be second to none. (Although not like an English Football game)

camsmith

Juniors
HAS to be Richmond vs Collingwood game.

If you are going to see footy in Melbourne it has to be at the MCG, and you're lucky if you do go, it will be one of the few times where the G has more than 70,000 there.

The best of the other games would probably be Bulldogs/Kang but that will be at Telstra dome and if you're going to the Dome already with SoO (im going to that aswell should be awesome!) then you would be better off going to the MCG instead of the Dome again.

On the other places to eat etc... im sure others would know more about that than myself, so i'll leave that to them lol.

So if you want a Big crowd, big atmosphere, two decent sides and an attacking and hard game of footy... then the Tiges vs Pies game would easily be the one to go to.

If you do go to that game... remember Pies are ferals so dont support them ;)

Cricketer

Juniors
See the Tigers of course. Upwards of 70k for this one especially if the Pies get up this weekend. Lets hope all the Pie ferals turn up so we can rake in the cash.

camsmith

Juniors
And if you go to the Tiges-Pies game, come back and let us know how ya liked it etc.... would be interested to know.

mikdalton

Juniors
ended up missing the Tigers Collingwood game, mainly because I was out for the England game the night before (which finished near 4am) so I was too hung over to get up for it. However forseeing this and because of a cancellation to some other arrangements I ended up going to see the Melbourne Dee's against the Port Adelaide Power. It probably wasnt the best showcase of AFL the 65 odd thousand empty seats would suggest that but I actually really enjoyed it. It is true what they say about it being better at the ground than on TV, you see how it flows better and it seems rougher. I actually wanted to go another game before I left Collingwood played at Telstra the week after but seeing as though I left early the next morn I decided against it as with the soccer, SOO and AFL I think I bombarded my girl with enough sport. The Storm vs the Broncos also suffered for this reason.

Before I left though i had to get a collingwood top as its the same colours as the mighty Widnes RL and an AFL ball to see if it differs from an RL one which I reckon it does a bit. I also watched the highlights on TV back home but its not quite the same but I'll keep trying. If I lived in Melbourne (which I was really impressed by) I reckon I'd adopt a team and follow em because for $19 you cant go far wrong. Thats about half the price of a Huddersfield super league ticket and less than a third of even a premier league team like Everton never mind a Chelsea or a Man U. Its also about $30 for a good second division RL game (Widnes) over here at the mo too.

camsmith

Juniors
Good to hear mate!

Although the Collingwood vs Tiges game was a cracker so you missed out on that one ;)

Umm and yeah sounds like you had a good time, good on ya :D

Latest posts