What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which AMNRL players would be able to make it to the NRL

Screech

Juniors
Ian Blake was a good player, out of his depth at QCup level but with the limited time he spent in the game he was outstanding. Future THawk captain and by far the best player to come out of America to date.

Play some footy

Juniors
Screech - best player to come out of American to date? You're out of your mind. He's a second rower -there are plenty better ball handlers who've come out of the states then him by far.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I don't know about that. Blakey is pretty good and would press hard for that honor. Remember only Americans, not the imports that have moved there.

Screech

Juniors
Play some footy said:
Screech - best player to come out of American to date? You're out of your mind. He's a second rower -there are plenty better ball handlers who've come out of the states then him by far.
Name a better American? Take out grand parent rule, born and breed Americans he is the first picked every time.

roopy

Referee
Screech said:
Name a better American? Take out grand parent rule, born and breed Americans he is the first picked every time.
Al E Kirkland - the standout player for the US All Stars in their tour of Australia in 1953 and went on the play 2 seasons for Parramatta and a few seasons in England. He was described as being as good as any centre in the world at the time.

Kamala

Juniors
I think Ian Blake could make it, a younger Chris Clinton or Rob Ralachandran, they are both 40!. Will Brazier if he lost 20lbs and put on muscle. I know in the Knights there are players who could play at a decent level, perhaps Jim Beam Cup. Same goes with the Wildcats.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Kamala;

I believe there are a lot of players that could play in he Jim Beam Comp.

There are many Bulls players in their early carreers could have played at that level or with the right team made it to the NRL. Three of them off he top of my head are Shayne Mains, Cory Sherridon, and Erick Hollingworth.

There are also players on other teams earlier in their carreers and with the right training could have made it.

Play some footy

Juniors
Blake has been playing league for 2 years - he can run forward and tackle. Is this what qualifies as somone being the best ever?

The majority of the older guys in the league were better players in their prime then Blake.

Screech

Juniors
What he learnt at the best Rugby League club in the world (Brisbane Broncos) makes him the best. He would know finer points of the game that every local player in the AMNRL would have no idea about. And to answer the thread, none, not one player could make it to the NRL. Its insulting to the thousands of Australian, New Zealand and English players that cant make it, who would be untouchable in that comp.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Play some footy said:
Blake has been playing league for 2 years - he can run forward and tackle. Is this what qualifies as somone being the best ever?

The majority of the older guys in the league were better players in their prime then Blake.

Not knowing Ian Blake, I do not know how good he is or is not. If he is playing or has played for the Broncos he has to be prety good.

However, I do agree with Play some footy in that many of the older in the AMNRL in their prime were probally better then him.

roopy

Referee
Blake was far above the standard of any other player in the game v Japan at Coffs.
The only guys who came close were Alf Duncan and Brandin Costin - and both those guys have had very destinguished careers at a very high level.

My feeling is that Blake would be hard to beat as the best American player.

lloydy

Juniors
After playing against the Knights last night I have to say Will Brazier is by far the best American born player in the AMNRL and still could go a long way in either league or union. Ian Blake is, without doubt, a good player, but if he really is that good he should dominate in the AMNRL which last night he did not. Will, on the other hand, on both sides of the ball just took it to the Knights and although he was targeted and recieved hit after hit, he was head and shoulders above Blake.

War Pig

Juniors
Who else is there that can make it? What about Gareth Gibbs? I'm sure if he worked hard enough he might be alright.

roopy

Referee
War Pig - those photos make too big a file to send in one lot. I'll send them to you a few at a time.

Screech

Juniors
lloydy said:
After playing against the Knights last night I have to say Will Brazier is by far the best American born player in the AMNRL and still could go a long way in either league or union. Ian Blake is, without doubt, a good player, but if he really is that good he should dominate in the AMNRL which last night he did not. Will, on the other hand, on both sides of the ball just took it to the Knights and although he was targeted and recieved hit after hit, he was head and shoulders above Blake.
Brazier was very impressive against Australia, I remember a few of the boys here talking about him during the game. Seemed quite overweight though, but definately has a great frame for the the game. A pre season in Oz would do him the world of good.

lloydy

Juniors
Will is working with a personal trainer and is losing some weight and getting much fitter. I also know he's looking to go abroad again to get some experience so if you know anyone looking give us a shout.