What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which coach?

Who would you want as Panthers coach if Matthe Elliot is shown the door

• Wayne Bennett

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Daniel Anderson

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Graham Murray

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Steve Folks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Caged Panther

First Grade
Obviously a very hypothetical question given the club has given not even the slightest indication they are reconsidering their position on elliott but if he is to go who would we want as coach next season?

Big Mick

Referee
IMO Wayne Bennett would be ideal...

However, given we got buckley's of that happening.

I believe we need a kiwi coach...to get through to the players. Lets face it..the majority of our junior system etc are of polynesian decent. Therefore we need a kiwi coach imo

Stephen Kearney would be ideal. A young coach with fresh ideas, but also being taught by the best in the business and also current kiwi coach so players would surely look to impress more consistently.

Daniel Anderson would be the second option.

murraymob

Coach
i Vote Daniel Anderson. He took the warriors when they where a shambles and turned them around.We need a coach willing to play open football and get away from the forward based game of 10 years that penrith have had.
If we cant get him Big Mick is in

Big Mick

Referee
hahaha Murray...i'd love it...but I'd just have them throwing the ball around...the forwards would hate me. In this day of reduced interchange we need to pressure the defensive line so being in defence isn't just a break...you have to make them feel the tension and make them sweat...only then will we see our little men compensate.

Dave Q

Coach
If he was available, I would be thinking Brian Smith.

If Project Elliot fails (it hasnt yet) the club is unlikely to want to be seen as making the same mistake again so my guess is that it will trot out some local hero as a means of public appeasement.

Someone like Cartwright might be made to measure.

I'd be putting out a few friendly feelers to him now...but not much more.

Of those nominated, I'm a big fan of Muzza.

Caged Panther

First Grade
seem to remember reading about the time brian smith left the eels that he really wanted to coach the panthers. Not that I'd really want him here. Where is shane flannigan coaching at the moment, name rings a bell just can't place the club.

Hmmm all of the choices make it hard they all have such great history in the nrl.

Bennett has taken brisbane from the babies of the nrl to the heavyweights

Murray well what do you need to say has done so much for far north qld no premiership sucess with them yet but oh so close.

Daniel anderson as mentioned would be a logical choice with so many polonesian juniors would do wonders with them.

I really like the style anderson has installed in the warriors they have there big men who do there job so well you dont even notice there doing it and there backs dominate every team.

Then there is folks he is so like bennett its not funny and he has enjoyed so much sucess with the dogs.

What we need is all of them rapped into one with the charisma of john lang.

Reggie Priest

Juniors
None - we should go for Carty or Freddy, throw some big dollars at them and lure them back home for un finished business. Maybe they could duel coach.

Get rid of these imposter imports who know nothing about Penrith.

If I had to go for one it would be Muzza - no explantion.

Ha ha first off hell no to gould and freddy they have both shown that money speaks wonders and they have rooster blood in them and all over them makes me shudder.

Like the idea of cartwright and to be honest i think if we went for him we could probably land the big fish.

Bob

Juniors
I voted for Bennett. Anderson did well in 2002 with the Warriors but in 2003 and 2004 they went backwards due to Anderson having trouble communicating with the Polynesian players. We have a very large percentage of Polynesian players in our system so Anderson would not be a good fit. Murray whilst a good coach can't seem to take his players to the next level. Folkes is very similar in style to M.E as in both like structures and discipline and at the moment it's not working. As for Cartwright - no thanks as he is still very unproven.
Of the other candidates Shane Flanagan coached the Roosters to a Jersey Flegg premiership a few years back but the Roosters did spend a lot of money putting that team together and not many fronm that squad have kicked on

Dave Q

Coach
The only thing certain about coaching is that one day, it all ends in tears.

The successful coaches are the ones the ones that can move about from club to club, notwithstanding how they go.

Sometimes coaches arrive at clubs at the wrong time or events happen that are beyond their control.

Coaches have to deal with circumstances as they fall, no two are ever the same. Teams change yearly, oppositions change, rules changes, club staff change.

The good coaches adapt and plan for change. Its not easy, some make the wrong decisions.

Its hard to say whether any other coach could be doing better than Elliot is with this squad and in these circumstances.

All you can probably say is that after a period of time, the manner in which the players are competing as a whole are not producing the desired results. And beyond that, that you have to consider whether the fault is with the players (injuries, brain snaps, ignoring game plans, mental and physical inability to compete) and not the coach.

It is extraordinarily difficult to compare coaches.

Yet we have seen coaches such Bennett achieve above-average results over several years. I daresay he is coaching very differently now to when he started.

He has at least 12 extra assistants for a start. But he has changed and adapted. He has an outstanding record at NRL level. over a considerable period of time. With or without elite squads, he's pretty much brought home the bacon. That tends to suggest that he can replicate and reproduce those results into the future. No guarantee's but something to hang one's hat on anyway.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Not that I think we need a new coach yet, I still think Matt Elliott should be given until the end of year, but I wouldnt mind seeing Gordon Tallis try his hand at coaching.

John Cartwright was apparently the front-runner for the job (when Roycey was being booted) until management signed up John Lang.

Hoss had some great results with the lower grades. Reminds me of Graham Murray's successes at Penrith.

It might be hard to entice him back home though. I might be wrong, but I heard that one of the reasons why he took the job at the Gold Coast was because his daughter is up there playing tennis - and is quite a good player from what I've heard.

Fibroman

First Grade
The Mighty Panther said:
John Cartwright was apparently the front-runner for the job (when Roycey was being booted) until management signed up John Lang.

Hoss had some great results with the lower grades. Reminds me of Graham Murray's successes at Penrith.

It might be hard to entice him back home though. I might be wrong, but I heard that one of the reasons why he took the job at the Gold Coast was because his daughter is up there playing tennis - and is quite a good player from what I've heard.

His inlaws have got property and business up there too, apparently.

PK said:
Not that I think we need a new coach yet, I still think Matt Elliott should be given until the end of year, but I wouldnt mind seeing Gordon Tallis try his hand at coaching.

Cant recall one time when we agree and this isnt one of them but just out of curiosity what makes u think of tallis.

You have caught my attention bringing up gordo out of the blue.......