What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which players didn't become superstars straight away?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
i strongly disagree with the ben smith comment, being an eels supporter. watching lower grades last yr before he debut he was dominent along with another eel named feleti mateo

Ben Smith was the best player on the field many times last year in Premier League

Kingytek

Juniors
Steve Price would have to be the biggest star emerge over the age of 28. This stage of his career has been best.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Smartman said:
He was highly regarded when playing in Parras lower grades but Brian Smith didnt give him enough opportunities.

Now hes a Bulldog gun
icon6.gif

He was a flop at Parra in first grade (especially in defence), the new start at another club was good for him, it's far from Brian's fault.

And I predict it's downhill for him anyway, he showed absolutely nothing before his injury and I think he'll pick up where he left off.

Kingytek

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
He was a flop at Parra in first grade (especially in defence), the new start at another club was good for him, it's far from Brian's fault.

And I predict it's downhill for him anyway, he showed absolutely nothing before his injury and I think he'll pick up where he left off.

Sometimes you have players that can only play as good as the team around you (lockyer and broncs) so I think he found it hard to perform because the dogs were in a slump, and I guess this explains his time at parramatta!

yobbo84

Coach
ucantseeme said:
Scott Sattler

He was a nifnuf until THAT tackle, now he is a footy legend more famous than his dad.

Please. John Sattler was probably the best front rower ever to play the game. Scott was nothing more than a solid first grader.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Harold Bishop said:
Willie Tonga is severely overrated IMO, i would rather Ben Smith.

Tonga's brilliant...injuries ruined his progress this year but he's a freak on his feet, Ben's a great talent but alot of improvement left in him.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Kingytek said:
Sometimes you have players that can only play as good as the team around you (lockyer and broncs) so I think he found it hard to perform because the dogs were in a slump, and I guess this explains his time at parramatta!

I'd say alot of it is to do with Sherwin being in a slump. He played with Witt, Dykes, McFadden and Wagon in the halves at Parra and did nothing. Sherwin goes into a slump and he shows his "Parra form" once again. Just a theory though, either way he's very overrated and I don't shed a tear when I think about us releasing him.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
From memory, Nathan Hindmarsh was shocking in premier league and was almost cut before being given a shot at first grade.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
I'd say alot of it is to do with Sherwin being in a slump. He played with Witt, Dykes, McFadden and Wagon in the halves at Parra and did nothing. Sherwin goes into a slump and he shows his "Parra form" once again. Just a theory though, either way he's very overrated and I don't shed a tear when I think about us releasing him.

mate! I'd have him back, I wouldn't even think twice.

Stagger eel

Staff member
eloquentEEL said:
From memory, Nathan Hindmarsh was shocking in premier league and was almost cut before being given a shot at first grade.

ecxcellent!!...he was very ordinary in pl, and infact BS promoted him as a way to fast track his development, and the rest is history..

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Darren Smith was average while at the dogs then after he went to the Broncs, he came on in NRL and Origin-then Australia.
Over 15 years or so, i consider him as a late bloomer to some extent.

Also Wade McKinnon was a reserves player with Souths until he came back to Parra and probably is now in the top 5 fullbacks in the NRL.

Other side of the scale is John Simon-was a star for the Steelers for his first 2-3 years, then after leaving them to play at a few clubs including Parra and the Tigers, he went consistantly downhil.

Azkatro

First Grade
knights04 said:
Definately harsh. Sattler was easily one of the best players for the Gold Coast when he played. Gave good service also to Penrith, Tigers regardless of his brilliant tackle.
He also debuted Origin that year, so you could say he was a late bloomer. My nomination is for Matt Gafa. He actually debuted in 1997 then went away for years. Now he has re-emerged an absolute superstar.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Azkatro said:
He also debuted Origin that year, so you could say he was a late bloomer. My nomination is for Matt Gafa. He actually debuted in 1997 then went away for years. Now he has re-emerged an absolute superstar.
superstar? i dunno bout that

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Preston is an excellent nomination!

Still recall him playing on the wing with the old gold coast seagulls or giants or was it the chargers-under Phil Economidis i think.

Mr Saab

Referee
GAMEFIRST said:
Darren Smith was average while at the dogs then after he went to the Broncs, he came on in NRL and Origin-then Australia.
Over 15 years or so, i consider him as a late bloomer to some extent.

Darren smith was playing origin well before he joined the Broncos in 1995.