What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which ref most suits the Raiders?

kaon

Juniors
I thought of this question as soon as I heard that Shayne Hayne was our ref against the Cowboys and got that sinking feeling. Shayne seems to be on a mission to get the play the ball as fast as possible which adversely affects the Raiders game and was the reason for stopping our winning streak. Hayne dead set thinks its still Super League.

Harrigan does allow for a slower play the ball but in all the games I’ve seen this year, I think Steve Clark most suits our side. It would be interesting to see any stats that relates this info but off the top of my head, I’d much rather have Clark or Harrigan than either Hanye or Tim Mander.

azza

Juniors
Hayne is an awful referee but not exactly for the reasons u have specified, IMHO.

Yes, he does seem to want fast play the balls but that is to our advantage, in fact, when we get fast play the balls we are one of the best teams in the comp.

But what makes him so so so so bad is his one-sided refereeing, especially in relation to the 10 meters. Did you see how often the Cowboys (and us on several occasions, though not as many) were inside the 10? It was more like a 6 meter rule. And given our game is based so heavily on making yards up the middle and then getting quick play the balls to our halves, no wonder we struggle when he refs. By the time the halves get the ball they have no room to work. He is a disgrace. It's a shame too coz when I first saw him ref a couple of years back he was quite promising. Then he grew too much of an ego and ever since he has sucked.

kaon

Juniors
It would be interesting so see what percentage of Hayne's penalties are around the ruck.

bucko

Juniors
I don't think we do very well with Simpkins on the park either. Onto Shayne Hayne, I can't sum up his disgracefulness in words...

Paullyboy

Coach
Im really not one who gets into referee bagging (I referee myself and I know how bloody hard it is!), but I really struggle to defend Shayne hayne. He makes a lot of elementary refereeing mistakes in that he gets suckered in by people milking penalties too long. You can pick it 99 times out of 100 when Hayne is going to give a penalty in the ruck because the attacker just has to shake, or move a tiny bit and he is guaranteed a penalty - I honestly cannot believe the NRL coaches havent picked up on it yet and instructed their players to play towards this! i would have hated to see Michael Hancock being tackled in a Shayne Hayne controlled game - every tackle would have brought about a penalty to Hancock without a doubt

greeneyed

First Grade
Hayne seems to like fast play the balls, but his problem on Saturday was that he was quite uneven in policing it ie he let the Cowboys lie all over us, but he penalised us heavily for it.

And his 10 metres was awful.