What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which test captain would you prefer to play under

Which captain would you play under?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'd argue we did that BECAUSE he was a great captain, tbh. His value to the side was more than what he offered with the bat. I agree he was carried for too long, but I also believe he was an excellent captain.

SR Waugh for mine though. I love the cricket Australia played under his captaincy and I love the tough edge he brought to cricket in general.
Poor Micheal Bevan was stuck at 7 and then Discarded while Micheal Brearley kept on keeping on. Waugh proved that keeping Taylor was a waste of time and if anything the team went to another level without having to carry him.

He was never getting dropped because he was the boards lap dog. And still is.

Pretty easy to be a great captain when you've got Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist and Ponting in your team.

AB turned Australian cricket around, number one for mine in the modern era.

Def for me too. If on the list for the poll, I'd have liked him a 1000 times.

Border basically saved Australian cricket post WSC, during-South African rebel tours, and got the team on the up after the 1989 Ashes. I always think it was sad he didn't get to play out the Ashes 1994/95 as captain because he didn't want to tour Pakistan in late 1994.

Fangs

Coach
Pretty easy to be a great captain when you've got Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist and Ponting in your team.

AB turned Australian cricket around, number one for mine in the modern era.

Not as easy as you'd think. Some massive egos in there.

Warne to this day won't forgive Waugh from dropping him during the Windies tour in 1999. Still managed to get Warne playing at his best despite their differences. Same can't be said for Clarke vs Watson/Everyone.

Can't speak about AB however. Before my time.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Speak to Langer and Hayden,, they cant talk highly enough of Tugger, they performed best under him
Taylor had the same side but was no where as dominant, Plus he was carried for a lot of tests, so not really a leader in that sense.

Plus the poll isn't about who saved Australian cricket, its who you would like as your captain from the ones listed

Timbo

Staff member
Taylor or Waugh. Waugh (Gilchrist) was out last competent captain IMO.

mozza91

Coach
Taylor or Waugh. Waugh (Gilchrist) was out last competent captain IMO.
Clarke was a very good captain. Maybe not the most likeable bloke but an astute tactician and very positive with field placements and declarations.

King hit

Coach
Strong disagree.

5-0 Ashes sweep against the odds, world cup champions, series win in South Africa, regained the NO 1 ranking in the world, handled the Phillip Hughes tragedy amazingly well. He was very under appreciated as a captain if you ask me.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Clarke was tactically very astute, but a poor leader of men.

The total opposite of Ponting who was well liked and a good leader of men but he was tactically inept.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think Steve Waugh was slightly overrated as a tactician.

He'd occasionally have 13 fielders in the slips cordon when the opposition was 20/3 and chasing 500 and some would be in awe of his aggression.

Well it's very easy to be aggressive in those circumstances when you had McGrath, Warne and peak Gillespie in your arsenal bowling to the likes of Sherwin Campbell and Rob Key.

He didn't have the answers against India away in 2001 or at home in 2004 when the likes of Sachin Dravid VVS and later Sehwag got on top.

Don't get me wrong he certainly wasn't a bad captain. But let's just say that he reminds me of Mal Meninga - not a tactical genius but a great, strong leader who benifited from leading a ridiculously GoaT side.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'll try and answer PB's question sensibly because despite his kiss of death he's a good sport.

Tubby - a good leader of men who got the best out of those around him and yet was a hard arse when he needed to be. A good tactician too.

Tugger - a guy who valued the baggy green and the history of cricket and was able to bring together a lot egos to form one of the most dominant teams in history. Didn't have to be a great tactician because of the greatness of his team.

Punter - a leader by example rather than brains or tactics and would have benefited from a bit longer as vc.

Pup - almost the opposite of ponting, a decent tactician but a poor man manager. Except for his handling of the Phillip Hughes tragedy where he was exceptional.

Smiffy - probably thrown into the role a couple of years too early which you can see by his lack of creativity and tactical nous. Can't fault his form as captain

Chappell - helluva, I can't remember.

Of these I'd go Taylor just over Waugh.

Bazal

Post Whore
Strong disagree.

He was very good tactically, and understood the game much better than Ponting or Smith for example. No doubt he was divisive, but I also think that the Australian team at the time was in transition and full of egos that were themselves very divisive and he held that together for quite a while before it came apart.

I think Steve Waugh was slightly overrated as a tactician.

He'd occasionally have 13 fielders in the slips cordon when the opposition was 20/3 and chasing 500 and some would be in awe of his aggression.

Well it's very easy to be aggressive in those circumstances when you had McGrath, Warne and peak Gillespie in your arsenal bowling to the likes of Sherwin Campbell and Rob Key.

He didn't have the answers against India away in 2001 or at home in 2004 when the likes of Sachin Dravid VVS and later Sehwag got on top.

Don't get me wrong he certainly wasn't a bad captain. But let's just say that he reminds me of Mal Meninga - not a tactical genius but a great, strong leader who benifited from leading a ridiculously GoaT side.

Tugga learned from AB, who was also not a particularly imaginative tactician. He knew how to read a cricket game better than just any captain I've ever seen though and he got the best out of his players.

I was young when I saw AB so I don't have a great memory of him, but I do think that he was an overrated leader with hindsight. I think Waugh took his bastard persona, but softened it and genuinely cared for his players and wanted to nurture them as cricketers. AB certainly at times (and with hindsight) drove players into the ground. When he came out and made comments about Renshaw in India you could see a bit of that. Who cares about your well-being, the team is paramount.

Steve Waugh might not have been the Taylor or Clarke style of tactical captain, but he was the best captain in my lifetime as a packaged leader of a cricket team.

JJ

Immortal
I was young when I saw AB so I don't have a great memory of him, but I do think that he was an overrated leader with hindsight. I think Waugh took his bastard persona, but softened it and genuinely cared for his players and wanted to nurture them as cricketers. AB certainly at times (and with hindsight) drove players into the ground. When he came out and made comments about Renshaw in India you could see a bit of that. Who cares about your well-being, the team is paramount.

Steve Waugh might not have been the Taylor or Clarke style of tactical captain, but he was the best captain in my lifetime as a packaged leader of a cricket team.

Think we need to forget the caricature of Chappell that we hear on 9 now - he was, by all accounts, both a leader of men (as per Waugh and Border) and a fine tactician (as per Taylor) - hard to judge given the different eras - but his TV stint latterly has diminished peoples' perceptions of him

Clarke all style no substance IMO

Latest posts