What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Years exactly did Joey ‘own Origin’

isaiah

Bench
Talk this week that Cleary wants to own it like Johns did. I remember Joey talking it up in his day, but never consistently achieving it. In my mind, his talk in the early 2000’s galvanised Queenslanders to not take the foot off the throat until they had the dynasty that Johns and Gould talked about.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
He was exceptional in 05, pretty good in 03. Tapers off to bit part player after that.

Getting hoisted by Goddard will be forever his legacy though.

Munky

Coach
2000 he was pretty good coming off the bench in a three zip win.

For all the shit Cleary gets, you'd think all the pre 06 'NSW legends' dominated Origin or something.

Stinkfinger

Juniors
Talk this week that Cleary wants to own it like Johns did. I remember Joey talking it up in his day, but never consistently achieving it. In my mind, his talk in the early 2000’s galvanised Queenslanders to not take the foot off the throat until they had the dynasty that Johns and Gould talked about.
He will do exactly that is allowed to play his game without getting hit illegally by the opposition. That is how it has always worked.

Exsilium

First Grade
I think its easy to target the halves but the modern origin game is won in the forwards.

The better pack will lay the platform.

Johns was a great player. No doubt. However, it will be won in the middle with the service to the outside backs being the key.

Homo man69

Juniors
He's more galvanised for the time he was injured for over a year near the end of his career. Then played 6 of his worst games ever for Newcastle. We lost the first game and Barrett went down injured. Gould called upon Johns and he played some of his best ever footy to win both for us. Some players thrive on pressure eg Langer coming from Super League to win a must win game by himself

mongoose

Coach
2000 he was pretty good coming off the bench in a three zip win.

For all the shit Cleary gets, you'd think all the pre 06 'NSW legends' dominated Origin or something.
he was insanely good off the bench in 2000... he was also awesome at hooker in 96.

98, 99, 2002 are years he probably should have owned but didn't. He didn't play in 2001 due to injury I think...

Llangennech

Juniors
It's the way that players around Johns upped their game when he was playing, they trusted him, like players around Tom Brady trusted him not to give the ball back to the opposition easily.

He's more galvanised for the time he was injured for over a year near the end of his career. Then played 6 of his worst games ever for Newcastle. We lost the first game and Barrett went down injured. Gould called upon Johns and he played some of his best ever footy to win both for us. Some players thrive on pressure eg Langer coming from Super League to win a must win game by himself
*R. Stuart called upon Johns......

Latest posts