1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Whilst he’s at it - The BIFF

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Chimp, May 17, 2020.

1. Chimp

Chimp Juniors

So PVL appears to be a pretty ballsy guy - he reckons he knows what makes the game more entertaining and ain’t afraid of trampling over people, or being unpopular in his quest to make the game great - so I wonder if he has the balls to take on the PC brigade and soften the approach to punishing the biff.

I genuinely have never met a rugby league fan in person who doesn’t like the biff - the only ones I’ve ever heard say they’re glad it’s gone is people on the internet (and I don’t believe they really mean it - they’re just after virtue points).

Taking away the biff has had many unintended consequences;
    - The ‘all in’ handbags, shirt pulling, and verbals we see now is a blight on the game
    - Cheap niggle and wrestling moves (chokes, joint pressure etc) are at an all time high
    - Milking, verbals and general whining is at an all time high
    - Players ‘staying down’ hurt after what is relatively minor contact is at an all time high (making our players look either soft or cynical - Getting like soccer)
    - Halfbacks/Wingers and players who previously would have been dealt with have suddenly become plastic hard men, knowing there is no physical comeback (Thurston slapping was a great example of this)

My view on the vast majority of stuff that is similar or sits in those points above is that it would all end immediately if they knew they’d be physically held to account, immediately.

And most importantly, the game is far less exciting and enjoyable without the anticipation and spectacle of a bit of fair biff between rivals. Origin has nowhere near the same excitement or anticipation nowadays. Games used to be built up based on rivalries in the media in the lead up to a game (Chief and Spud, countless Origins, Storm/Manly etc), and that made for a spine tingling atmosphere on game day.
    You only have to look in the media and on the rugby league TV programmes at how often they review and talk about previous famous fights to know how entertaining it is.
    It’s what the fans want, and I reckon with a loud enough movement, PVL might be the man with the resolve to bring it back (though in a relatively controlled manner - cheap shots and king hits should still be heavily punished). The yellow/red cards should be used to control the game in situations where the biff is preventing the game flowing - but often, a stink is exactly what is needed to get it out of everyone’s systems and then let the game flow.

Thoughts?

2. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita Bench

I loved the biff as much as anyone. But personally I can’t ever see is going back to the biff unless the world turns into a post-apocalyptic landscape like Mad Max.

Generalzod, Bronco18 and jargan83 like this.
  3. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

“Turns”?

Have you been grocery shopping lately when there’s only 3 potatoes left in the fresh department?

4. Bring back John Fifita

Yes. But in South Australia we are officially Covid-free! And don’t need spearguns to get a tin of beans...

For now..

5. Chimp

Chimp Juniors

I’ve always thought the same, but PVL does appear to be made of stern stuff, and it sounds like he won’t be around long term, so could make the change and move on, without the worry of being held accountable if it went wrong or someone pulled legal action against the sport.

6. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

macnaz, hunters, The Rosco and 2 others like this.
  7. Bring back John Fifita

Now there’s a man who seeks results..

8. Fangs

Fangs Bench

It's great. It always was great. But times have changed and I wouldn't allow it back. It's 2020.

We will always have Youtube.

9. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog First Grade

this is just as dumb as every other time it gets brought up

wont happen, shouldnt happen, and wont happen

grouch, nick87, taipan and 2 others like this.
  10. T.S Quint

T.S Quint Coach

Stop calling it ‘biff’. It’s stupid. It’s called fighting.

Go watch boxing or MMA if that’s what you want.

11. Chimp

Chimp Juniors

I don’t want to watch boxing or MMA, I want to watch the best version of Rugby League....

Care to answer any of the points I raised?

12. T.S Quint

T.S Quint Coach

Your only point is that you want fighting allowed back in Rugby League.
    Then again fighting was never actually allowed in Rugby League though. There were players getting sent to the bin in the 80’s for fighting, just as they should.

This “players getting away with trash talk and niggle” rubbish...who cares. If it’s bad enough that it’s affecting the play, penalise them. If not, get over it.

Timbo and TheVelourFog like this.
  13. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog First Grade

yeah

being able to punch a bloke is the absolute last thing an actual football fan is interested in seeing in the game

says a lot about you

T.S Quint and Timbo like this.
  14. TheDalek079

TheDalek079 Bench

Old man yells at cloud

T.S Quint, t-ba, grouch and 1 other person like this.
  15. alexwilliams_66692007

alexwilliams_66692007 First Grade

Punches - no thanks.

Shoulder charge - yes please

16. mozza91

mozza91 First Grade

I enjoyed a punch on as much as the next fan but the game doesn’t lose anything without it.

17. Timbo

Timbo Moderator Staff Member

You’ve already got parents refusing to let their kids play the game in increasing numbers due to concerns over concussion and the like, and you want to make it legal to punch each other in the head?

Can this surprise off season please f**king end already?

T.S Quint and TheDalek079 like this.
  18. taipan

taipan Referee

Punching belongs to the ring.Not in rugby league.
    Any suggestion to bring it back,is ludicrous.

19. Dave's mate

Dave's mate Juniors

The only change that needs to be made is IF you are hit you can throw as many as you like defending yourself

20. taipan

taipan Referee

And the the person who is the hitter ,is tied down, whilst the "hittee" is allowed to respond UFC style.