What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

Ulysseus

Bench
Who? Bryson Goodwin? Corey Payne, yeah big losses those...

I don't know what the f**k happened to Corey.
For a while there at Saints he looked like he was going to turn into something, many around the place were calling him "potential untapped".
Regrettably, it looks as if it has remained untapped.

Big Pete

Referee
So all this time you been playin devils advocate on me? Ya bastard. I used my best sales pitch too and all this time you knew you were going to buy it before you walked in.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with Hannant, you just don't like my comparisons to Webcke and see them as an insult rather than a compliment. ;-)

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Haha - the last part is true. The first part reminds me of a politicians recall. Well we are on the same page now - so who cares ;)

Your part of town safe for power and what not Pete? I'm seeing quite horrible footage...

MatthewA

Juniors
It's easy to say at the moment, but the Dogs squad doesn't inspire much confidence. The bench they carried last year was ordinary. J. Morris saw little ball most weeks. Ben Roberts was bloody horrible. Ennis is a Jekyl and Hyde player - good one week and f**ken horrible the next. I like Tolman though. Great buy. Eastwood was good before he left. A couple of positives there. The rest of the pack are ordinary. Who knows what the halves will be like. Barber looks like he will develop into a great attacking player but is a very, very poor defender. Where does he play? What will they do with idris??? Centre or second row??? They will do well to make the eight with that squad.
Ben Roberts missed most of the season with injury.. How can you say he was "bloody horrible"? He was the key to our left side when he was on the field. The try assists and line break assists he gave to Josh Morris on that left side when he played was fantastic. When he got injured, we lost our left side strike.

Can't agree that the pack is ordinary. Tandy, Tolman, Ryan, Stagg, Eastwood, Pritchard, Millington, Foster etc.. Very strong stuff. Tandy was phenomenal when he came on board for us last year. 2 man of the match awards in a row to kick things off and didn't take a backwards step.

The bench we carried last year was ordinary, yeah. The fact that we used the most players in the comp out of any team because of the highest injury toll in years probably attributed. This year the bench will be much more deadly with Eastwood and Paea coming off it.

Looking at our 30 man squad, with the players and the depth we have, I don't see how anyone can talk it down. Potentially it's one of the best in the comp. We just need to gel in the opening rounds and we can go very far..

MatthewA

Juniors
:lol: if that was the Dogs highest injury toll in years geez they've had it easy.
Can't argue against the fact that we had to use the most players in the NRL.

Injuries shouldn't really be an excuse, though. We didn't have the depth. I think the Hannant saga really affected us and Kimmorley proved that he played on a year too long. We've fixed all the areas that needed fixing - forwards, bench and depth. Should be a good year.

MatthewA

Juniors
Not really. Due to the injuries we had to use more players. It wasn't a case of Moore changing for the sake of change.

MatthewA

Juniors
No it wasn't.. Moore will be the first to say you need to try and stick with the same combinations and gel the team.

franklin2323

Immortal
The thing with the Bulldogs is how long will it take to gel. I think Roberts needs to play in 6. So they need to find the best 7 to suit his play.

Was Idris moving in the pack permantly?? If so who do you leave out??

By mid-year these should be worked out and all any team needs to do is just make the finals and go from there.

No reason why they can't but the same could be said for almost every time in the comp. I am excited about what will happen this year should be a good year

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
genuine title threats

Dragons
Warriors
Storm

Top 8 to contain
Tigers
Cowboys
Raiders

Fringe finalists
Brisbane
Manly
Roosters

Big Pete

Referee
No it wasn't.. Moore will be the first to say you need to try and stick with the same combinations and gel the team.

Mate that's rubbish when he's giving players only one game and then plonking them back never to be seen again eg. Heka Nanai, Danny Williams, Martin Taupau and Corey Payne who was brought back for the final game for absolutely no reason.

I'm not even mentioning the likes of Junior Tia Kilifi, Shane Neuman, Brad Morrin, Tim Browne, Dene Halatau who were chopped and changed as well as Romelo and Winitana who suffered season ending injuries for bugger all games (big losses!).

The point is, yes the Dogs had injuries but your measure of 'well we used the most players so obviously we had the most injuries' is flawed. Truth is, you had crap depth and those injuries struck a lot of those players.

I mean it's funny to hear a Doggies fan b***t about injuries when you have a team like the Warriors and Sea Eagles, teams who lost quality players through out the season, just carry on and win the comp.

Also looking at Foster's stats has reminded me - what was so special about him again? 65m off 10 hit ups is hardly the thing of legend.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't know what the f**k happened to Corey.
For a while there at Saints he looked like he was going to turn into something, many around the place were calling him "potential untapped".
Regrettably, it looks as if it has remained untapped.

Oh yeah I just watched a 2005 game, Round 6 Brisbane Broncos vs. St. George Illawarra Dragons and Corey was absolutely immense off the bench, breaking through tackles and causing concern with his speed. Ever since he moved to the Tigers he hasn't been the same player.

gronkathon

First Grade
Sheens throwing him into the front row damaged him beyond repair. Ditto Danny Galea

On the Bulldogs last year Tandy & Stagg carried their pack. The addition of hardened characters like Tolman & Eastwood who will work makes them more of a genuine threat. Don't rate Hodkinson or Keating as stable or good enough to not allow Roberts to flake out like he can at times

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Oh yeah I just watched a 2005 game, Round 6 Brisbane Broncos vs. St. George Illawarra Dragons and Corey was absolutely immense off the bench, breaking through tackles and causing concern with his speed. Ever since he moved to the Tigers he hasn't been the same player.

He was immense in 2005. Immense. A weapon as you said Pete.

He copped tow or three severe head knocks in 06. The last one being where he and Benny Creagh had a sickening collision out at Penrith one night. Creagh was badly cut but managed to stay on, whereas Corey ended up in a bad way and I think he was taken to hospital.

He was never the same after that sequence of knocks. I reckon it not only took some confidence from him mentally, but drained him substantially physically too.

He was, and still is, great in the knuckle department too.

EDIT - Heres a link - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2006/06/12/1660743.htm

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Wests Tigers have never ever made the top 8 in consecutive years,they are so hot and cold,anyone who fears them is a idiot.