What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Are The SGI Board Members?

possm

Coach
Much will depend on the make up of the new SGI Board; our future is in their hands so it would be nice to know who they are and a bit about their background.

The board composition needs to be changed if the club is to be successful.

The St George directors of Young, Black and Piggott have been around for a long long time.

No business acumen.

Johnston has significant business administration experience, but he has 1 vote.

As for the WIN & Illawarra nominees, they too have to date done very little to improve the club.

Zero accountability.

Cannot see where change will come from.

Interesting to see the NRL did not want the Saints side of the JV to take control of the licence.

BLM01

First Grade
Well if Roy Masters likes what the Dragons have done, I suppose i have give them time and have some faith. Roy is one of the few journos that can see it and call it for what it is, his opinions are not always right but unbiased and makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: jak

possm

Coach

Thank you very much, it certainly answers some questions. So the SGI Board members are:

Andrew Gordon – WIN – Chair – No casting vote – previous member
Andrew Lancaster - WIN – full voting rights
Craig Osborne – WIN – full voting rights

Graeme Gulloch – Illawarra – limited voting rights

Craig Young – St George – previous member
Peter Black – St George – previous member
Ralph Piggott – St George – previous member
Brian Johnston – St George also CEO – previous member

And it seems that the old guard of St George remain on the Board while WIN has introduced two new members. I don't know anything about Graeme Gulloch Illawarra representative however, he has limited voting rights.

possm

Coach

Inside the $10m deal that sets up Dragons for a bright future
Roy Masters20 August 2018 — 6:05pm
St George and WIN will each supply four directors to the Dragons board. The chairman will not have a casting vote. Former directors insist any deadlocks in the past have always been resolved. Before St George dominating the directorships when the Steelers could not pay their half of debts, board debates always ended in consensus.

• St George’s four directors will be Craig Young, a former premiership captain; Peter Black, who has been a board member since the mid-1980s; Ralph Piggott, another long-term director who will be chairman of the St George Leagues Club, replacing Johnston – who will also sit on the joint-venture board as CEO.

Johnston, who joined St George as a player in 1980 from Dunedoo, where his family owns a rural property, said he was delighted to return to the club in an executive role.

“The three Fs are the most important things in my life – farming, football and family,” he said. “I’ve been working in the financial services industry and when the club mentioned the position to me during the interview process for Peter Doust’s replacement, I reflected on those three loves and decided to accept the challenge again.”

If the test of an individual’s contribution to rugby league is to leave a place in a better position than he found it, Doust, after 18 years in the role, has succeeded, the ultimate rebuttal to those who led the “Oust Doust” campaign. The club will have the resources to fight forever for a position in the top four, overseen by a board with a mix of football experience, business expertise and communication skills.

Doust will leave at the end of the Dragons' 2018 finals campaign and retain a connection as deputy chairman of the St George Leagues Club, which is trading well.

The $5.8m NRL loan triggered speculation the licensed club was in financial difficulty, but this was never the case. In fact, the Leagues Club offered to repay the debt to the NRL. But this was not acceptable to all stakeholders. While St George would have to make interest payments it would have put Kogarah in a maximum position of leverage in negotiations, an outcome not preferred by the NRL which wanted Wollongong to have 50 per cent equity.

Ultimately it has been a WIN, win for all parties.

Paddles

Juniors
Can anyone point me towards information about the board and governance - e.g. annual reports, any terms of reference, how board members are appointed and tenure, info about AGMs etc? I have sent the club a couple of emails but no response yet.

Carlton

Juniors
Can anyone point me towards information about the board and governance - e.g. annual reports, any terms of reference, how board members are appointed and tenure, info about AGMs etc? I have sent the club a couple of emails but no response yet.

I've tried to find this information and came up with nothing. Doesn't leave a good impression when everything is always so secretive.

Gareth67

First Grade
Inside the $10m deal that sets up Dragons for a bright future
Roy Masters20 August 2018 — 6:05pm
St George and WIN will each supply four directors to the Dragons board. The chairman will not have a casting vote. Former directors insist any deadlocks in the past have always been resolved. Before St George dominating the directorships when the Steelers could not pay their half of debts, board debates always ended in consensus.

• St George’s four directors will be Craig Young, a former premiership captain; Peter Black, who has been a board member since the mid-1980s; Ralph Piggott, another long-term director who will be chairman of the St George Leagues Club, replacing Johnston – who will also sit on the joint-venture board as CEO.

Johnston, who joined St George as a player in 1980 from Dunedoo, where his family owns a rural property, said he was delighted to return to the club in an executive role.

“The three Fs are the most important things in my life – farming, football and family,” he said. “I’ve been working in the financial services industry and when the club mentioned the position to me during the interview process for Peter Doust’s replacement, I reflected on those three loves and decided to accept the challenge again.”

If the test of an individual’s contribution to rugby league is to leave a place in a better position than he found it, Doust, after 18 years in the role, has succeeded, the ultimate rebuttal to those who led the “Oust Doust” campaign. The club will have the resources to fight forever for a position in the top four, overseen by a board with a mix of football experience, business expertise and communication skills.

Doust will leave at the end of the Dragons' 2018 finals campaign and retain a connection as deputy chairman of the St George Leagues Club, which is trading well.

The $5.8m NRL loan triggered speculation the licensed club was in financial difficulty, but this was never the case. In fact, the Leagues Club offered to repay the debt to the NRL. But this was not acceptable to all stakeholders. While St George would have to make interest payments it would have put Kogarah in a maximum position of leverage in negotiations, an outcome not preferred by the NRL which wanted Wollongong to have 50 per cent equity.

Ultimately it has been a WIN, win for all parties.

9C7D5627-C3AA-4988-9B38-18AF1E0BC816.jpeg

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
There are many of you bagging our board but as you can see, they do attend games, sit in the stands and barrack from the fences, etc. Well done, board members.

6a0147e1d4f40f970b016766c60de8970b-pi

photo+(7).bmp

denis preston

First Grade
Thank you very much, it certainly answers some questions. So the SGI Board members are:

Andrew Gordon – WIN – Chair – No casting vote – previous member
Andrew Lancaster - WIN – full voting rights
Craig Osborne – WIN – full voting rights

Graeme Gulloch – Illawarra – limited voting rights

Craig Young – St George – previous member
Peter Black – St George – previous member
Ralph Piggott – St George – previous member
Brian Johnston – St George also CEO – previous member

And it seems that the old guard of St George remain on the Board while WIN has introduced two new members. I don't know anything about Graeme Gulloch Illawarra representative however, he has limited voting rights.

If you have a look at the makeup of the board Lancaster ( WIN CEO ),Osborne ( local solicitor ) & Gulloch ( Steelers director ) are basically puppets of Andrew Gordon. Now would you call Craig Young St George or Wollongong ? I'd call him W'Gong , particularly with his son employed and in the boys club. So on any major issue the WIN side has a majority ? Too simplistic and sarcastic ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Our "Board" members are:
Mr. Surf
Mr. Skate
Mr. Black
Mr. White
Mr. Plaster
Mr. Cup
Mr. Paddle
Mr. On

Which ever way you look at it they're all inanimate objects, the exception being Mr. On Board who is in charge or our membership drive.