What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who bats 1-6 for Australia in Tests this summer

For an indication of the batting problem, there’s only four guys in the current round of Sheffield shield that average over 40 in FC cricket. The batting stocks are dire.

The four are

Matt Short
Cam White
Kurtis Patterson
Jake Lehmann

We’re regularly seeing guys selected with averages in the mid to low 30’s, can’t expect those fellas to succeed at test level.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
For an indication of the batting problem, there’s only four guys in the current round of Sheffield shield that average over 40 in FC cricket. The batting stocks are dire.

The four are

Matt Short
Cam White
Kurtis Patterson
Jake Lehmann

We’re regularly seeing guys selected with averages in the mid to low 30’s, can’t expect those fellas to succeed at test level.

I would be happy to see Lehmann or Patterson get an oppurunity. Lehmann has had a good start to the shield. Patterson for some reason cannot convert his 50s to 100s. In saying that if he can hit 50 consitentley for Australia I would take it

I would be happy to see Lehmann or Patterson get an oppurunity. Lehmann has had a good start to the shield. Patterson for some reason cannot convert his 50s to 100s. In saying that if he can hit 50 consitentley for Australia I would take it

Yeah it’s frustrating that Patterson isn’t converting those 50’s, but I think he’s what our middle order could use. Never gives his wicket away easily. We need to stop those middle order collapses.

Lehmann had a poor year last season, but he looks back in touch this year. I’d strongly consider him too.

Timbo

Staff member
I think the locks, rightly or wrongly, at this point are:

1-Finch
2-
3-Khawaja
4-Darsh the Elder
5-
6-Darsh the Younger

With Head and Labuschagne the incumbents.

I think Head probably holds onto the number 5 slot. They clearly like him, and he made a pretty gritty 80 odd recently.

Renshaw looks badly out of form though sadly, so I don't think you can pick him. The obvious solution is Burns, he's been in fair nick, but for whatever reason the selectors jut don't seem sold on him. Marcus Harris is arguably the form player in the competition with a double and two halfs to his name this season, but will they want another rookie? The other option is to pick Khawaja as an opener and go with Patterson/Lehmann/Hughes in the middle.

For me, I'd pick Head and Burns. I reckon they might go Head and Harris though.

Bazal

Post Whore
We all know the solution deep down. It's time.

4 matches, 444 runs, 1 hundred, 4 50s, average 56

It's Doolan time!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

1-Finch
2-
3-Khawaja
4-Darsh the Elder
5-
6-Darsh the Younger

I think Head probably holds onto the number 5 slot. They clearly like him, and he made a pretty gritty 80 odd recently.

Renshaw looks badly out of form though sadly, so I don't think you can pick him. The obvious solution is Burns, he's been in fair nick, but for whatever reason the selectors jut don't seem sold on him. Marcus Harris is arguably the form player in the competition with a double and two halfs to his name this season, but will they want another rookie? The other option is to pick Khawaja as an opener and go with Patterson/Lehmann/Hughes in the middle.

I do like Head as a cricketer but he has shown to be inconsistent.

I think he is a product of our limited overs system. That 80 that he made at no 5 is where and how I think he should bat but its so hard to get all that limited overs batting out of your system when he has been playing so much of it.

TheParraboy

Staff member
This lineup will put fear into any opposition - mark my words...o

Finch
SMarsh
MMarsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Wade

typicalfan

Coach

1-Finch
2-
3-Khawaja
4-Darsh the Elder
5-
6-Darsh the Younger

Probably this. I wouldnt mind picking Harris if nothing else sends a message that if you get big scores you can fight your way into the side. Sadly the Shield season halts right when you want to reinforce such a message.

Timbo

Staff member
I have this horrible feeling we're going to see Wade's name on the teamlist.

I'll

1-Finch
2-
3-Khawaja
4-Darsh the Elder
5-
6-Darsh the Younger

I like these at 3 & 4 - our two most experienced players who (hopefully) can work out a sizeable innings and not let the opposition bowlers go through our top order like sh!t through a goose..

I'd have Travis Head at 5.. As for the other opener..... Harris (said without any real confidence.. ).