What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Cannot Win The Comp In 2006

who cannot win the comp in 2006 and why

• Wests Tigers

Votes: 40 17.8%
  • Nth Queensland

Votes: 27 12.0%
  • Parramatta

Votes: 40 17.8%
  • St George Illawarra

Votes: 41 18.2%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 34 15.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Cronulla

Votes: 112 49.8%
  • Manly

Votes: 66 29.3%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 54 24.0%
  • Penrith

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 87 38.7%
  • Canterbury

Votes: 33 14.7%
  • South Sydney

Votes: 100 44.4%
  • Canberra

Votes: 119 52.9%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raider_ktj

Juniors
Iafeta said:
A lot have written off Canberra; I have this wierd feeling they could get to a major semi final...

Just have a feeling Canberra are going to change their game plan a bit and start to give young Carney a bit of "creative freedom".

If the Raiders have a better run in regards to injuries, and Elliot starts picking the right team (ie dropping Gafa/Mogg etc and giving Zillman, Carney and Ale more game time) then we will make the 8, without a doubt.

eelsta

Bench
Godz Illa said:
Well, if killing you will secure Saints a premiership, then that is one Faustian bargain I am more than happy to make.

give me a call if you need help:lol:

Knightmare

Coach
Smartman said:
Newcastle - If Joey stays injury free and fires then they're a dark horse for the premiership. If joey is injured for most of the year then potential wooden spooners. Simple.

I'm f**king SICK of people talking as if the only reason Newcastle won games this year was because Johns was back. HELLO! He was there at the start of the year, he was halfback when they lost 37-12 to Souths, he was halfback when they lost 40-10 to Melbourne, he was halfback when they lost 52-18 to North Queensland. As well as Johns returning from injury later in the season, the team gained confidence and experience, it was very visible compared to earlier in the season. Whenever Johns isn't there and the Knights win, the other team always "played poorly", when Johns isn't there and the Knights lose, it's "because you can't win without him". Then when he is there, all we ever hear about is what Johns does, as if nobody else ever scores tries, makes hitups or great tackles for Newcastle. If you look at the stats, there are other teams (e.g the Broncos) who have a worse record without their best player than Newcastle do without Johns, and yet we never hear anything about it!

Knightmare

Coach
salivor said:
Brisbane, we're lacking a decent winger and a couple of mobile backrowers to accompany Stagg to be anything but another bloody c**k tease for the 6th year in the row.

Oh my God, 6 years without a premiership! Try being a Souths fan or a Dragons fan- they've gone 34 years and 26 years without winning a comp! Before the other weekend, Tigers fans had been waiting since 1969, and Magpies fans since 1952!

Smartman

Juniors
Knightmare said:
As well as Johns returning from injury later in the season, the team gained confidence and experience, it was very visible compared to earlier in the season.

Exactly correct, thats why they gained confidence because he was there.

At the start of the season Joey was very rusty, he hardly played games for 3 years before that.

Joey controls the system at Newcastle....Simple!

Knightmare

Coach
He was looking good in the first game back against Brisbane, but they didn't win that. Even while he was gone, Newcastle ran some teams close (e.g they only lost to Saints by 2 points). Confidence was down early in the year, I don't know why, but it began to pick up when more players came back and the team became stronger. I think it's easier for opposition fans to blame Andrew Johns for their team losing than it would be for them to admit that their whole team was outplayed by the Knights.

Smartman

Juniors
Its not only Joey but any major halfback for their respective clubs is the most important player in their team but moreso with Newcastle because hes that good.

Relying on one player too much does play with team mates minds.

Knightmare

Coach
I'm not doubting that Johns is talented or influential- I'm just doubting that the team's fortunes rest as heavily on him as people make out. The worst thing is that whenever Johns is gone, other good players are out as well, but people don't seem to ever take notice. It's no coincidence that this year Newcastle had one of the worst injury tolls on record.

Corbin

Juniors
rabbitville said:
Roosters & Dragons

CAUSE THEY'RE CHOKERS

Wrong we won in 02

If Canberra give Ale some more time in the backline especially at centre then they could make the 8.

Roosters will make top 5

Newcastle same as roosters

Rabbiotohs - big call here but i think they can come eighth (with them chasing Robbie Paul BIG +)

Corbin's Table for NRL 2006

1 Newcastle (big big big call but with Carney and Johns they will be big! Note: Injures will have to be very small for this to happen!
2 Tigers
3 Manly
4 Roosters
5 Dragons
6 Eels
7 Rabbitohs
8 Warriors (i think Cleary can make them come good again.)
9 Broncos (end of season...)
10 Sharks
11 Canberra
12 North Queensland Cowboys ( i just think they can do it i dont know exactly why but i just dont think they can do it)
13 Melboure (cronk is not up to it...Bring back Marty Turner!)
14 Bulldogs
15 Penrith

salivor

First Grade
Knightmare said:
Oh my God, 6 years without a premiership! Try being a Souths fan or a Dragons fan- they've gone 34 years and 26 years without winning a comp! Before the other weekend, Tigers fans had been waiting since 1969, and Magpies fans since 1952!

The difference is that Broncos supporters don't and won't settle for mediocrity that the likes of Wests and Souths did and have for many years. Bennett has deliverd us 14 straight finals appearances (16 in total) and 5 premierships but not even that will secure his future. I can live without the premierships but theres no point in going to the finals year in year out when we're nothing but a spectator unless you support the Sharks.

Corbin said:
Wrong we won in 02

If Canberra give Ale some more time in the backline especially at centre then they could make the 8.

Roosters will make top 5

Newcastle same as roosters

Rabbiotohs - big call here but i think they can come eighth (with them chasing Robbie Paul BIG +)

Corbin's Table for NRL 2006

1 Newcastle (big big big call but with Carney and Johns they will be big! Note: Injures will have to be very small for this to happen!
2 Tigers
3 Manly
4 Roosters
5 Dragons
6 Eels
7 Rabbitohs
8 Warriors (i think Cleary can make them come good again.)
9 Broncos (end of season...)
10 Sharks
11 Canberra
12 North Queensland Cowboys ( i just think they can do it i dont know exactly why but i just dont think they can do it)
13 Melboure (cronk is not up to it...Bring back Marty Turner!)
14 Bulldogs
15 Penrith

been slipping a little something in your lattes... roosters 4th...cowboys 12th..try reversing those positions... remember you have Finch

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
03' and 04' still hurting?
I doubt they will come 2nd last, but you have to admit they have taken a few steps back in the signing department. Ross for Norrie? Pomeroy for O'Halloran? Gulovoa for Stapleton?
Where do you seriuosly think they will finish?

Big Mick

Referee
Harold Bishop said:
I doubt they will come 2nd last, but you have to admit they have taken a few steps back in the signing department. Ross for Norrie? Pomeroy for O'Halloran? Gulovoa for Stapleton?
Where do you seriuosly think they will finish?

I think you underestimate the quality of player Bryan Norrie is. We bought Ross when he was 23 from the Dragons PL. We've bought Norrie..who was their PL player of the year...a big rap considering the quality of players they have in the team.

O'Halloran...well I dunno...I personally don't think its a positive signing, but apparantly he's come cheap and he'd be good for depth if anything. The trend in this season and past years has been to go for Big, Mobile backs. O'Halloran is a big boy for a centre, but I don't see him challenging for a first grade spot, and if he gets it, I don't see him keeping it, put it that way. I think Michael Jennings will be a superstar or Bob Blair for that matter, two young guys that will be working hard to fill that void and get their shot at the big time.

Stapleton was purely a depth signing and will not see first grade unless there are injuries. Galuvao had been disappointing this year up until the last 2-3 weeks. He is an influential player, but I don't think we'll lose much...seeing how brilliantly Rodney played, particularly when he started in the back half of the season.

Honestly...I think we can finish between 6th-10th....I don't see us finishing lower than that.

Mr Saab

Referee
salivor said:
The difference is that Broncos supporters don't and won't settle for mediocrity that the likes of Wests and Souths did and have for many years. Bennett has deliverd us 14 straight finals appearances (16 in total)

15 in total
1990..and then 1992-2005 inclusive

Latest posts