What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do you believe!

chileman

Coach
I'm not greedy: Kouta

By Jim Wilson
August 11, 2006
CARLTON icon Anthony Koutoufides has shelved contract talks with the Blues until the end of the season.
And he's reacted angrily to claims he's putting money before the club's best interests, following a report in yesterday's Herald Sun.
Koutoufides says he is not greedy and his club will always come first.
While Blues officials want to continue talks, Koutoufides is reluctant. It's believed his decision to play on next year will hinge on club management and whether they will increase the offer on the table.
The Blues leader won't reveal any details of the contract negotiations, but it's understood an offer of $200,000 was put to his management last week by chief executive Michael Malouf.
It would be a drastic pay cut on what the Blues champion is earning this year, but last night he strongly denied claims his pay packet this season was more than $1 million.
"Let me make it clear, it's not anywhere near that figure. Yes, I'm getting paid well, but I also agreed to the club's wishes six years ago to help out with a back-ended contract," Koutoufides said.
"I agreed because the club was struggling and they wanted to back-date it to last year, as half of it would only go into the salary cap as I'd be on the veterans' list. I'm not a player who's driven by money, but I'm like anyone - I have a family to look after."
Koutoufides has sacrificed his own financial situation on numerous occasions during his career for the sake of the club.
He played in Carlton's premiership team in 1995, when he was paid about $50,000, and didn't start earning a salary that reflected his market value until 1998.
He was asked by the club at the end of the 2000 season to sign a five-year deal on the proviso he would be back-paid later in the contract's term.
"It's not a big deal, but when people start saying I'm greedy and that I'm on ridiculous money, they need to know the circumstances and facts surrounding my agreement," Koutoufides said.
"I love the Carlton Football Club and always will as it's been a huge part of my life. All this talk and innuendo is frustrating, so I just want to play good footy and see out the season.
"I will be asking the club if we can leave all contract negotiations until then."
Malouf last night refused to discuss the talks.
"We are talking with Anthony about his future, but that's all I'm prepared to say at this stage," Malouf said.
"We will not discuss the nature of the negotiations through the media."
The Blues realise how popular Koutoufides is with the club's supporters and the possible backlash if he is treated poorly.
Koutoufides will now concentrate on the final four rounds before making a firm decision on his future.
It's believed he's prepared to retire if the current offer is not increased.
"I will not discuss anything to do with the details of the contract, but what I will say is that I'm not selfish and the navy Blue jumper means a hell of a lot to me," Koutoufides said.
"We'll sit down in a month and work through a process."
www.foxsports.com.au

or

Should Kouta Play in 2007?
10:50:03 AM Thu 10 August, 2006
carltonfc.com.au
If he does it will be a new contract, not a pay cut..

Forget all the hype in today’s media, the question as to whether Kouta plays in 2007 is not about pay cuts, firstly it is about Anthony Koutoufides and whether he decides he wants to commit to another year of AFL. No doubt there are some that would argue he should retire while others believe he should go on, based on his recent form and the important leadership he provides to a developing young side. While the arguments continue, the media will also continue to bring up the subject in the grab for ratings and readership and the all important sales.

Today’s article is a classic example of using AFL, in this case the Carlton Football Club, and one of the true stars of the game, to sell newspapers. The headline of a $900,000 pay cut is incorrect, not only are the figures a guess but importantly there is no pay cut. Anthony Koutoufides is contracted until the end of the 2006 season, if he continues to play in 2007 it will be on a new contract agreed to between him and the Club, while it will undoubtedly be for less money than his current contract, it will be a new contract, not a pay cut as the headlines suggest. The headline has given many the wrong impression as to Anthony’s contract position with Carlton.

In the article Anthony Koutoufides says, “I love the Carlton Football Club and want to play on next year, but I’m not prepared to talk about anything to do with contract negotiations. We are working through a process and I wanted to leave the contract talks until the end of the season but the club has brought it forward.”

The fact is Anthony has not fully committed to playing next season and he is expected to make a decision at the end of the 2006 season, at this stage he is certainly keen to play on but has confirmed he will not make a final decision until September. Obviously knowing he is looking at playing on, the club has had an initial discussion regarding a possible contract for 2007, remembering that Anthony is out of contract at the end of this year. This initial discussion has not been followed up officially by the club or Anthony as it will wait until Anthony is committed to playing next year. Like all discussion and contract negotiations this will be confidential.
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=287893

CyberKev

Staff member
I'm leaning towards Kouta on this one, but most likely the truth is somewhere in-between.

Cupid Stunt

Yeah this seems to run along the whole "3 sides to a story" line. But for a change I think I'm leaning towards the player as well.

meltiger

First Grade
chileman said:
Today’s article is a classic example of using AFL, in this case the Carlton Football Club, and one of the true stars of the game, to sell newspapers. The headline of a $900,000 pay cut is incorrect, not only are the figures a guess but importantly there is no pay cut. Anthony Koutoufides is contracted until the end of the 2006 season, if he continues to play in 2007 it will be on a new contract agreed to between him and the Club, while it will undoubtedly be for less money than his current contract, it will be a new contract, not a pay cut as the headlines suggest.

:lol:

This person should go and join up with either Labor or Liberals, what an astounding piece of spin doctoring that is. :lol:

Let me ask you this gents, if you're company had you on a 3 year fixed term contract for a million a year, then offered you another 3 year fixed term contract for 200k a year, to perform exactly the same job. Would you consider it a pay cut?

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
:lol:

This person should go and join up with either Labor or Liberals, what an astounding piece of spin doctoring that is. :lol:

Let me ask you this gents, if you're company had you on a 3 year fixed term contract for a million a year, then offered you another 3 year fixed term contract for 200k a year, to perform exactly the same job. Would you consider it a pay cut?

LOL.

Its a pay cut, alright!

I thought Kouta came across as genuine on nospam29 last night.

I don't believe for a second that he is, or has ever been, on $900k a year; especially allowing for the sets of pay cuts that he has taken over the years.

He said himself that, given his age, he expected to be on a reduced salary for a final year (should he boot up for it).

The sticking point is how much this reduction should be. Carlton has to be fair, given that it back ended his last contract, but he still took a healthy pay cut during it regardless.

I would think a $300k contract (about $100k up on what they've offered) would be enough and would be fair.

I doubt he'll go around again though, to be honest.

Latest posts