What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has the best 1,6,7,9?

Moffo

Referee
As many commentators will tell you, this is where the strength in a team lies. I still think Melbourne have it here

1. Billy Slater
6. Greg Inglis
7. Cooper Cronk
9. Cam Smith

Anyone disagree?

Who's 1,6,7,9 might surprise this year? I'm going to be slightly biased and say the dogs

1. Luke Patten
6. Ben Barba
7. Brett Kimmorley
9. Michael Ennis

Roosters and Manly go ok with their 1,6,7,9's as well

HevyDevy

Coach
Definitely Melbourne with Manly a close second (their hooking options let them down when compared to Cam Smith).

Cowboys go okay.

Knights go alright.

1. Kurt Gidley.
6. Jarrod Mullen.
7. Take ur pic.
9. Isaac De Gois.

Not quite superstar material but only 3 teams definately have better.

Hmm Manly with Stewart, Lyon, Orford and Ballin goes alright.

The Knights one would be better if they had some better halves.

yobbo84

Coach
1. Wesser
6. Wing
7. Sandow
9. Luke

No, seriously, let's just name our own teams :roll:. Melbourne and Manly are still the best.

1. Wesser
6. Wing
7. Sandow
9. Luke

No, seriously, let's just name our own teams :roll:. Melbourne and Manly are still the best.

After some recent performances that looks good on paper.

We got:

01. Minichiello
06. Anasta
07. Pearce
09. Aubusson

Godz Illa

Coach
Shellharbour to dominate the NSW Cup

1. Michael Lett
6. Danny Lawrence
7. Matt Head
9. Daniel Fepuleai

Ahh the new-age 1,6,7,9 is the most important positions argument.

I remember back in the days when it was 6,7 & 13.

In the future it will probably be 7,8,10 & 17 or something trivial like that.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Definitely Melbourne with Manly a close second (their hooking options let them down when compared to Cam Smith).

Cowboys go okay.
I disagree, Manly have one of the best hooking rotations going around in the game. Ballin is a a workaholic, and settles the side. LeStrange provides plenty of spark off the bench. Neither are stars in their own right, but they provide plenty of variety to keep the opposition guessing. They are two very different players, so when the opposition starts to settle into a rhythm, they get swapped. It's a very effective combination.

azzah72

Bench
Dog's/Storm/Sea Eagles will be the best.

But since everyone is naming thier own team:

1.Kearney
6.Barrett
7.Seymour
9.Hughes
13. Matuia :roll:

Allright team if in form i suppose.

mxlegend99

Referee
Best IMO is the Broncos:
1. Karmichael Hunt
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
9. P.J. Marsh

The Panthers have the potential to surprise though:
1. Lachlan Coote
6. Wade Graham
7. Jarrod Sammut
9. Paul Aiton

Lachlan Coote has already proven he has what it takes to make it in first grade. His debut was unexpected. With an off-season knowing he will be the first choice fullback, i think it can only improve his game. Matty Johns compared him to Billy Slater and in a couple of years he could definitely be as good as Slater.

Wade Graham was very solid last season, and showed some exceptional skills at the first grade level. He was big to begin with, and has bulked up even more since then. He is an exceptional leader and should be able to focus alot more on his footy in 2009. Matt Johns claims that he is the best young ball player in the game, and he is definitely up there. His passing game is exceptional... many Panthers fans would love to see him playing in the #7 due to the way he can boss his forwards around and his incredibly accurate rocket passes. His only weakness was his defence in 2008, although it didn't help when he was moved into the centres to defend. Physically he could drop any player that ran straight at him no worries.

Jarrod Sammut had a first grade debut in 2007, but in 2008 between his attitude and Matt Elliott being a knob kinda hurt his career a bit. Going into 2009 he is looking much stronger and hopefully Matt Elliott lets him partner Wade Graham in the halves. Another player that Matty Johns praises highly.

Paul Aiton has been waiting to be the starting hooker for quiet a while now. He played exceptional in the world cup for PNG, but is still no guarantee to get the #9. Either way, the competition between Masada Iosefa and Paul Aiton is going to be great. I think by the end of 2009, we will easily have one of the best hooker rotations going around.

Obviously it's an incredible young combination, with extremely limited experience between them. Definitely not capable of going all the way just yet... but i think that every game we play with this combination our team is only going to improve and get much better. There's a decent chance that Jarrod Sammut won't be in the halves, and that Luke Lewis will be there. There's also a minor chance that Paul Aiton will come off the bench with Masada Iosefa starting. Although either way it's a great rotation.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
As many commentators will tell you, this is where the strength in a team lies. I still think Melbourne have it here

1. Billy Slater
6. Greg Inglis
7. Cooper Cronk
9. Cam Smith

Anyone disagree?
replace Inglis with Taumata

Who's 1,6,7,9 might surprise this year? I'm going to be slightly biased and say the dogs

1. Luke Patten
6. Ben Barba
7. Brett Kimmorley
9. Michael Ennis

Roosters and Manly go ok with their 1,6,7,9's as well
you've got a cripple, a touch football player and a pensioner. In anycase I bet my bottom dollar Barba won't be the 1st grade 5/8th in 2009, last time I checked you had to play defence aswell as attack in league.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Well I think one of the worst is the Eels

1. Hayne/Burt
6. Keating
7. Finch
9. Keating

But that is not the only thing that wins you games.

Eels Dude

Coach
This thread is a joke, Melbourne have the best without a doubt, though Manly have an overall better side.

For the bloke who suggested Bulldogs as up there, no way. All I can say is

1. Old and past it
6. Young and unproven
7. Old and past it
9. Goes pretty well

Parra's aint crash hot either just to show i'm not biased

1. Hayne
6. K Keating/ Mateo
7. Finch
9. M Keating

Could go alright if all are playing in form, but otherwise gonna be a struggle.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah it most definitely is Melbourne,and even with Inglis possibly going back to the centres this year,his replacement(kid from the Dogs??) isn't too bad either.

Pretty much everyone else has a weak(er) link...
Cows possible combination this year isn't too bad either.
1.Bowen
6.Watts(if he's there)
7.JT
9.Payne

Mr Saab

Referee
No one has mentioned the Raiders....seems like a thread where you name your own team. Feel sorry for them as they are getting no love.

sooperdooper

First Grade
manly and melbourne easily, daylight to the rest, which is why these 2 dominated last season.
But it can turn quickly