What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is our best ever signing?

Who is our best ever signing?

• Clinton Schifcofske

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Mal Meninga

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Ron Giteau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terry Fahey

• Ryan O'Hara

• Brandon Costin

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Peter Jackson

• Sam Backo

• Jason Smith

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other (please specify)

• Total voters

legend

Coach
This doesn't include juniors so if I miss anyone, let me know and I'll edit the poll.

Raider_69

Post Whore
schif or meninga, i went schif as he has single handed held this team together in some very tough times, he has ordinary support, ordinary coach and yet off the back of him for 5 odd years we havnt been walk overs

legend

Coach
Good point but I doubt we would have won three premierships without Meninga and this is highlighted by the 1995 season. We were standouts along with Manly but failed to make the grand final the year after he retired so on that basis I went with big Mal.

woodgers

Bench
I went Mal. I prefered Laurie, Clyde and Ricky as players however Mal was the one that made those special teams what they were. I would suggest a lot of those good signings joined up just to play with Mal.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Jason Smith simply for what he does to the team. Schif holds the team together and saves them so many games with his last line defence and you know it when he isn't there. But I think Smith is an even more noticable absentee. I can't really remember Meninga but I think he had so many great players around him to help him shine they way he did.

legend

Coach
Meninga got me when he said winning a GF was better than winning Origin and better than playing for Australia. He was Canberra through and through and his speech after the 89 GF got me in.

thickos

First Grade
Big Mal. Everything fell into place after him. We were lucky to have a true legend of the game with us for so long.

Recently - Schif. Easily. He has been the glue that has held the place together, and while Belcher and Mullins were superb fullbacks, Schif has been one in a pretty ordinary team. That takes a lot of class.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Yep, for me is a 2 horse race between Schif and Mal
i went schif cause while without mal we may not have won a premiership or 2, we still would have been a very hard team to beat, while in the past 5 years, without schif we would be fair dinkum spooners. Which just edges big Mal out

Edwahu

Bench
Mal is the greatest signing off all time at any club. His signing was the catalyst for all our success.

Mr Saab

Referee
Chicken George 1st, daylight second. Mal was an inspiration and a player everyone i am sure would have loved to have played with.
He had an aura about him that very few posses.
And he could play a bit too!

Chachi

Bench
While I think Stuart was the most important player we've ever had, I think Meninga proved to be the most important single signing for us due to the influx of other great players he attracted. If it wasn't for him, guys like Stuart, Belcher and Jackson would probably have ended up at bloody Manly or something.

Mr Saab

Referee
ricky was a crucial player (and still remains my alltime fav halfback) for the raiders.
1993 emphasised that to the fullest.

jed

First Grade
Mal first, daylight second, Schif third, but I wouldn't be writing off Jason Smith's signing as being one of the best ever. We've already seen this year his significance - the games he plays, we're playing much better footy than the ones he's been injured. The way he's lifted the team, it's similar to the way that Newcastle lift when Joey's on the field.

sh*t, I just compared Smithy to Johns. I need to have my head examined :?

Macko8

Juniors
the big fella meninga no kidding about that. most popular rugby league player to embrace the game.

ausraider

Juniors
As much as I would like to choose Mal I think Schif has to be there with him.Haven't seen a single player who makes such a big difference to a side.Seriously without him in the last 4 years where would we be on the ladder.But then we have had some very good players during Mal's days whereas Schif is doing it all alone.l

dubby

Bench
BIG MAL!!! I still idolise the big guy after all these years. The fact he is not involved with the Raiders in some way still hurts me. Inspirational, class, strength.

The sight of Shif kissing his Raider emblem puts him high on my list as well. I nearlly cried when i saw that, and I bet a few of you guys felt the same way.

Latest posts