What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best junior player you have seen ?

Avenger

Immortal
This is one of my favourite topics.

Who is the best Junior you have seen in the lower grades ? Whether they ended up making it or not, who is the best ?

I have only really seen Parra players in the lower grades and I think the best I have seen perform at the junior level and in order are:

1. Jason Bell (he could have been anything)

2. Mateo (Did things that amazed me)

3. Danny Crnkovich, maybe a surprise to some but played some great games at fullback in the lower grades.

4. Tim Smith.

5. David Penna. ( I was there for his 5 try afternoon)

The Colonel

Immortal
There was a young player of Islander origins who was an absolutely brilliant player. Played around the same time as Feleti came through the grades and last I heard he ended up at Souths. Played half and 5/8. Never played first grade anywhere and was totally surprised. Delaivuna maybe?

Michael Meigan was another player who was brilliant in the lower grades and never kicked on.

Fathead

Bench
Without doubt the greatest junior at Parramatta in terms of natural talent at a schoolboy/lower grade level was Tony Cosatto.

HevyDevy

Coach
Actually I do remember watching the lower grades before our 1999 semi-final v Melbourne and Jamie Lyon absolutely carved up.

Right there you could see how good he was going to be.

JasonE

Bench
David Emery from East Mount Pritchard and Ashcroft High.Didnt play FG i think but a gun U/23 player

Rated by many experts as the best young player ever seen, completely dominated Sterlo in their junior clashes. He did play a first grade game but sadly injuries wrecked his career.

parra pete

Referee
Solo Alone (aka Mose)...Penrith Matts Shield prop...watch the kid go on Saturday (keep your eye on him Eeela ;-))

parra pete

Referee
Rated by many experts as the best young player ever seen, completely dominated Sterlo in their junior clashes. He did play a first grade game but sadly injuries wrecked his career.

I think David Emery was responsible for 'The Bluff' tap penalty move...
(from memory... and it was a long time ago - can anyone else recall it?)
Had a brother Geoff?
Christopher Sykes at St Gregs...a nephew of mine...died of cancer aged 21 after playing for Easts in an Under 23 premiership. The Roosters have an award for the outstanding junior in the Club named the Christopher Sykes Medal.
Another nephew Paul Quinn Christopher's cousin) - also at St Gregs, played Australian schoolboys, Parramatta and first grade with Souths. Paul was a champion junior who gave the game away in his prime because was a 'bushie' from Mungindi who hated living in the City. He is married to Carmel, Peter Cusack's sister.
I am proud of both the boys.

Bow_rider

Juniors
I think David Emery was responsible for 'The Bluff' tap penalty move...
(from memory... and it was a long time ago - can anyone else recall it?)
Had a brother Geoff?
Christopher Sykes at St Gregs...a nephew of mine...died of cancer aged 21 after playing for Easts in an Under 23 premiership. The Roosters have an award for the outstanding junior in the Club named the Christopher Sykes Medal.
Another nephew Paul Quinn Christopher's cousin) - also at St Gregs, played Australian schoolboys, Parramatta and first grade with Souths. Paul was a champion junior who gave the game away in his prime because was a 'bushie' from Mungindi who hated living in the City. He is married to Carmel, Paul Cusack's sister.
I am proud of both the boys.
Thats right.The Bluff move was from a tap.It was in the amco shield in about 1977.The coach was Keith Clarke i think and he later coached parra u23s.His brother Geoff played alot of grade at parra and he also had an older brother called Allan who also played grade and captained the u23s for quite a while

parra pete

Referee
Geoff Starling..Josh Hannay, Adam Ritson were three gooduns. Starling played Australia when he was just 18. Josh Hannah and Adam Ritson both were picked to play first grade at age 16 - Ritto in the front row for the Sharks..
I saw Eric Grothe come on for a second half in Under 23 agaist Easts, has to be about 1979..and scored two sensational tries a la` Eric Grothe trademark fashion.
Denis Fitzgerald WAS an outstanding young player who went onto represent NSW and Australia. 'The Bear' Bob O'Reilly was another..he learnt his trade from blokes like Dick Thornett and Ron Lynch and went onto become one of the all time greats.

parra pete

Referee
Thats right.The Bluff move was from a tap.It was in the amco shield in about 1977.The coach was Keith Clarke i think and he later coached parra u23s.His brother Geoff played alot of grade at parra and he also had an older brother called Allan who also played grade and captained the u23s for quite a while

From memory, the try was scored by Max Mannix, who later played for the Bulldogs (??).
Allen Emery did captain the Under 23 Eels..
Thanks for helping me out with that one. It was a sensational move..bit like the old ball up the jumper trick.
Don't know if it would be considered in the Spirit of the game these days.
It required the player taking the tap to advise the referee to concentrate and not be put off with any distractions. What happened next, was the player tapped the ball and all his team mates stopped and pointed at the grandstand saying "Look". The opposition all turned around and looked, and the winger raced in took the pass and scored under the posts. Very trickkkkkkkky.