What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best junior player you have seen ?

Captain BF

Juniors
Pete, thats awesome! Tooooookey was an absolute favourite of mine. Is there any chance you could take some pic's when he plays and posting them online please? That would be brilliant.

p.s. Great Topic all!

parra pete

Referee
Pete, thats awesome! Tooooookey was an absolute favourite of mine. Is there any chance you could take some pic's when he plays and posting them online please? That would be brilliant.

p.s. Great Topic all!

Most certainly...Mark is coaching Souths Logan Magpies Colts at the moment, and SL have the bye that weekend. Souths Logan/and the Raiders/Queensland FOGS have become a feeder Club for us over the years with (2006) David Furner, Wayne Collins, Andy McFadden (Raiders) - 2007 Gary Belcher and Darren Smith (FOGS) with 2008 - Tooks (Souths Logan) and maybe Mitch Brennan (FOG/Raider/Souths Logan) this year.

Avenger

Immortal
I spoke with Matt Adamson at Lavington (at Penrith v Parra trial) earlier in the year..He is huge, and fit...gee looks like he could still play at top level....
He wanted to come down and have a game with the local Club (along with Snoopy Collins) in a one off guest appearance...(the good old Raiders connection)
It would have been necessary for the Panthers to have a Friday night game and for our Club to be at home on the same weekend..It was a logistical nightmare for us to promote...so we have settled for Mark Toooooooooooookey, plus two other Qld FOGS for the game to be played on July 6......

Pete

In the mid 90's I came across Matt Adamson at a bar and I felt like Tattoo in Fantasy Island. (I am a tad under 6 foot). He is one of the biggest men I have ever come across.

Gronk

Staff member
Pete

In the mid 90's I came across Matt Adamson at a bar and I felt like Tattoo in Fantasy Island. (I am a tad under 6 foot). He is one of the biggest men I have ever come across.

IIRC his brother, Phil who was a prop, was a bigger unit.

parra pete

Referee
Pete

You are not wrong...I was amazed at how big he is..and how fit. I would have loved for him to have played for us..but it was too hard too organise. Maybe 2009....
We will have former Storm player Ben Roarty play a few games for us this season also. Just takes a bit of imagination and promotion. The matches have been windfall for the local fans and Club..getting bigger each year..thanks to Cavalier Developments and its General Manager who is a former coach of the local Club.
"It's not what you know, but WHO you know that gets things done".

Bigfella

Coach
Avenger, I am pretty sure Luke O'Donnell played lower grades for us din't he?

Not that I remember seeing him play, just that I am sure I had read that?

Mind you, it might have just been you posting previously!

Hanscholo

Bench
Brad Fitler by a country mile. I watched him play for Australia as a jnr against Great Britain in newcastle and i have never seen a more amazing performance. His footwork, speed and strength were just unstoppable.

sooperdooper

First Grade
HM-BALMAIN.jpg

Very Matty Bowen like. Maybe he wasn't the robot they wanted?

Not sure but he was a spectacular player. Played in the same Matthews side as Oake, Delaney, Mateo, John Williams and Heath L'Estrange.

your pretty good colonel.... spot on!
he went to school with lestrange and mateo....they cut him out of nowhere! just like they did with l'estrange.
Joe could have been a star...

Goey Man

Juniors
For Parramatta : Barney Haslett
League in general : I went through Primary and Secondary school with a kid who was a couple of years ahead of me. He was an absolute gun. While I was working in Sydney about 10 years ago I was drinking after work with a couple workmates. The conversation came to league and who had made first grade from each of our high schools. They each rattled of about 18 to 24 players between them. They they asked me, I said "One" they pissed themselves laughing, till I said his name was Andrew Johns.

Fan_Since_1964

Juniors

Hi.
My first response here and I thought what better than to comment on the best junior I have seen.
Ive been a fan since 1964 and seen most of those mentioned earlier. All great players for sure.
I remember fondly an Under 23 (maybe 21) team coached by Gary Pethebridge as THE best footy team I have ever seen. Their backline movements were something to behold. Amongst many exceptional players in that team, (sorry I dont remember too many other than Jason Nicol) the best, in my opinion, by the length of the straight going away was Glen Liddiard. Generally he played full back and trust me, he was worth the price of admission alone. The great pity was that he never progressed as he should eventually going to Penrith and getting caught up in the Ben Alexander accident and controversy. I always thought that a coach like Jack Gibson would have turned him into an all time great.
I once saw Glen kick for touch and actually kick the ball over the Cronin stand. Ive never seen that done before and since. His acceleration was amazing.
Hi to everyone and Go Parra tonight.

Cheers
Gaz

thedux

Juniors
Can someone who has seen them tell me how good O'Donnell and Gallen were in our lower grades ? I know you cannot keep them all, but why didn't we keep these 2 ?

Not sure about O'Donnell but the Gallen's SG Ball team were rubbish. I don't think any of the forwards ended up going anywhere and Gallen himself was 75kg ringing wet but had one of those "growth spurts" that you just can't explain...

carson

Juniors
Not sure about O'Donnell but the Gallen's SG Ball team were rubbish. I don't think any of the forwards ended up going anywhere and Gallen himself was 75kg ringing wet but had one of those "growth spurts" that you just can't explain...

Isn't rage and becoming a psychopath a side effect of those "growth spurts"?

boxhead

First Grade
Good point :p

I'll try my hand at this topic. Because I only started watching the NRL very recently I can only comment on juniors from the past few years, so here are my picks;

1. Beau Henry
2. Josh Dugan
3. Jacob Loko
4. Brad Murray

Thing is though, I can only remember some names; I know there are players I have seen that deserve mention, but of which I just can't remember who they are.

Henry and Murray are the two best halves in the NYC I've seen, Dugan and Loko were two of the best players overall I've seen. Loko in his first year of NYC at the age of 18 makes it look easy! Dugan was incredible.

Last edited:

Latest posts