What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best winger to have played the game in the last 40 years? Semi or Grothe?

Semi or Grothe

• Semi

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Grothe

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Gronk

Staff member
yes i remember the marrickville mauler Jeff fenech , came off the bench into the 1st grade top side game, for 10 mins on the wing, and got smashed a few times in tackles, and thats about it, it was set up, with the tv crews on sidline, and a small celebration, that jeff got to play 1st grade with the big boys , it was at parramatta stadium

It never happened.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/search/?q=fenech

Even Paul Kent who played 30 secs for the eels in his only FG appearance was allocated a player number. Fenech does not appear on the list.

https://www.parraeels.com.au/about/official-player-numbers/

It never happened.

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^^
Jeff Fenech – Boxing To Rugby League
The Parramatta Eels have produced some woeful signings in their history, but the decision to give boxer Jeff Fenech a contract rates right up there and he only managed to play a couple of reserve grade games before going back to Boxing.

We couldn’t find any footage of Fenech wearing the blue and gold.

https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/blog/2015/11/06/code-hop-flops/

lingard

Coach
I agree.

I still rate Sterling and Kenny as the best pair of halves I have seen at any level of the game. Stuart and Daley would be the next best pair of club halves I can remember off the top of my head.

I was just talking to a mate the other day, who is a Parra fan. We were saying that Kenny, Sterling and Price should all be immortals.

Price should absolutely, definitely be an immortal. The other two, very close.

lingard

Coach
I saw Grothe's entire career and I saw Semi's entire career. In Grothe's first season he was pretty raw and made lots of errors, but he quickly learnt his trade and became the most complete winger I think I've ever seen.
Radradra was a freak. He was probably a bit faster than Grothe - but not much. There's so little in it, but I would go for Grothe on the grounds that he performed for a longer period of time.
If Jarryd Hayne had remained exclusively a winger, we would probably be talking about him in this conversation.

P.S. Jeff Fenech is the best boxer Australia has ever produced. Period.

I saw Grothe's entire career and I saw Semi's entire career. In Grothe's first season he was pretty raw and made lots of errors, but he quickly learnt his trade and became the most complete winger I think I've ever seen.
Radradra was a freak. He was probably a bit faster than Grothe - but not much. There's so little in it, but I would go for Grothe on the grounds that he performed for a longer period of time.
If Jarryd Hayne had remained exclusively a winger, we would probably be talking about him in this conversation.

P.S. Jeff Fenech is the best boxer Australia has ever produced. Period.

What about Les Darcy? You would have gone to some of his fights, surely?

blue bags

First Grade
mark shulman, johnny kolc, both very fast nimble, very tall player, phillip mann, all great eels wingers :)

Eelogical

Referee
There's a bunch of great wingers who've played the game. Terry Fahey, ET, Kerry Boustead, Blacklock...

Neville Glover..............................

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ET played predominantly centre I thought .

And I dont ever recall Fenech playing in the NRL but definitely remember him playing in the 2s at 9

Latest posts