What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should captain Australia in the T20 Series v Sri Lanka

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Chris Lynn should be captain,he's the most kool and calm mofo i've ever seen,not even kidding,this bloke should be captain.,he's on field demeanor is delicious.

steggz

Juniors
Chris Lynn should be captain,he's the most kool and calm mofo i've ever seen,not even kidding,this bloke should be captain.,he's on field demeanor is delicious.
Demeanour is one thing, tactical nous is another
You both miss the point. It's a shit T20 series played right when the best 15 players are put of the country.

Who cares who we pick? Devalue this as much as possible I say!
You can devalue this (if that's what you want to do) any manner of ways, picking a South African chucker is not the way to do this.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Squad named.
Aaron Finch (c), Patrick Cummins, James Faulkner, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Michael Klinger, Chris Lynn, Tim Paine, Jhye Richardson, Billy Stanlake, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

A big WTF to Tim Paine. The rest is ok considering it's basically a second string side in a meh series.

Iafeta

Referee
I'd have gone Ferguson myself. He had a horror test debut, but he's a good limited overs bat, experienced and performed well at domestic level for some time. Some of the selections are becoming head scratchers. You've got blokes like Fergo, Maddo, Carty, they basically get one match or two at best and if they don't belt a ton that's them done for life. I genuinely think if they keep selecting as they do, you will be able to name 5 XIs of players playing domestically who have represented Australia. It's like they're applying their spin carousel selection post Warne to their full team these days. I get Rob Quiney and Alex Doolan weren't considered because they're the standby bats for India but now we are just picking blokes from anywhere.

I've seen some blokes in this very forum who have started taking the proverbial on Australian team selections and thrown up names that have no right to be mentioned, but really their jovial stabs in the dark are as likely as anyone's. They know no shame these blokes.

mozza91

Coach
After his error free effort in Game 1, I feel big Matty Wade should be made captain permanently in all 3 formats.

Bazal

Post Whore
Squad named.
Aaron Finch (c), Patrick Cummins, James Faulkner, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Michael Klinger, Chris Lynn, Tim Paine, Jhye Richardson, Billy Stanlake, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

A big WTF to Tim Paine. The rest is ok considering it's basically a second string side in a meh series.

Paine had a great big bash. Absolutely no wtf with his selection IMO. Allows blokes who might be in line for a test slot down the track to play Shield cricket rather than a pointless T20 series.

I like the squad tbh. It's better than some we've picked for T20 tournaments that actually had some meaning. Only thing is I'd rather Cummins playing Shield cricket.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd have gone Ferguson myself. He had a horror test debut, but he's a good limited overs bat, experienced and performed well at domestic level for some time. Some of the selections are becoming head scratchers. You've got blokes like Fergo, Maddo, Carty, they basically get one match or two at best and if they don't belt a ton that's them done for life. I genuinely think if they keep selecting as they do, you will be able to name 5 XIs of players playing domestically who have represented Australia. It's like they're applying their spin carousel selection post Warne to their full team these days. I get Rob Quiney and Alex Doolan weren't considered because they're the standby bats for India but now we are just picking blokes from anywhere.

I've seen some blokes in this very forum who have started taking the proverbial on Australian team selections and thrown up names that have no right to be mentioned, but really their jovial stabs in the dark are as likely as anyone's. They know no shame these blokes.

It's getting a bit ridiculous. Ferguson could even be in NZ in place of Heazlett. The bloke has 40 odd ODIs and averages 40...we lack batting experience, well there's some.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of articles around atm giving the selectors a serve, mainly about Haezett getting a game for Australia before he played for Qld, most of them are spot in in particular they say the selectors are using the team as a development squad and not showing the Kiwis much respect.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's getting a bit ridiculous. Ferguson could even be in NZ in place of Heazlett. The bloke has 40 odd ODIs and averages 40...we lack batting experience, well there's some.
Agreed, especially considering 2 months ago he was seen a test prospect.

They are making it up as they go along lately real dart board stuff.

Iafeta

Referee
Your team is amazingly successful. But I feel it's in spite of your selectors.

Just off the top of my head, these are former international players going around

Quiney
Doolan
Rorher
Cutting
Muirhead
Hastings
Richardson
Dunk
Bancroft
Holland
Beer
Bailey
Copeland
Ahmed
Couter Ganges
Mennie
Worrall
Tye
Abbott
Sandhu
Bollinger
Boyce
White
Paris
Forrest
Maddinson
Cartwright
Reardon
Adam Voges
McKay
Boland
Tremain
Christian

Now I know some of these blokes don't deserve reselection so being dropped is fine, but why pick them in the first place? And yes I know some of them only played t20 hit and giggle.

Bazal

Post Whore

Just off the top of my head, these are former international players going around

Quiney
Doolan
Rorher
Cutting
Muirhead
Hastings
Richardson
Dunk
Bancroft
Holland
Beer
Bailey
Copeland
Ahmed
Couter Ganges
Mennie
Worrall
Tye
Abbott
Sandhu
Bollinger
Boyce
White
Paris
Forrest
Maddinson
Cartwright
Reardon
Adam Voges
McKay
Boland
Tremain
Christian

Now I know some of these blokes don't deserve reselection so being dropped is fine, but why pick them in the first place? And yes I know some of them only played t20 hit and giggle.

I think the last sentence is more relevant than you realise, given we had a T20 series like this upcoming one where the Test side was on tour and they jammed in a random T20 or two at home for no reason, so we were forced to pick guys like Rohrer and Reardon and Dunk and so on. So that does account for a few of them, in the selectors defence they don't control the scheduling.

There are a few injured players on that list too. Paris, Coulter-Yangtze in particular would almost certainly have gone to South Africa over the scarecrows we sent if they were fit. And there are some blokes who played when they were good, but are past their best now...Dan Christian has an ODI hat-trick, for example. Although that said he's been on absolute fire this season and probably wouldn't look out of place in the national side....McKay was number one ODI bowler in the world once but is well past it now. So many of them are former for a reason

I do agree with the general point though, there are a lot of token selections or guys that we don't give a fair go. And the way they select some players makes absolutely no sense.

2 weeks

Coach

Quiney
Doolan
Rorher
Cutting
Muirhead
Hastings
Richardson
Dunk
Bancroft
Holland
Beer
Bailey
Copeland
Ahmed
Couter Ganges
Mennie
Worrall
Tye
Abbott
Sandhu
Bollinger
Boyce
White
Paris
Forrest
Maddinson
Cartwright
Reardon
Adam Voges
McKay
Boland
Tremain
Christian

What a plod-fest

Being fair i don't think Bailey, Douglas the rugless, Voges, McKay & The Duke Hastings deserve to be on this list

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hohns defending his selection of Klinger saying he was picked on form

lol

Sean Abbott leading BBL wicket taker and Dunk leading run scorer were not picked.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hohns defending his selection of Klinger saying he was picked on form

lol

Sean Abbott leading BBL wicket taker and Dunk leading run scorer were not picked.
Makes absolutely no sense, they throw a young bloke to the wolves like Heazlett in NZ because they are going for youth. That's fine but then the next instant pick a 36 yr old for a totally meaningless 20/20 tourney. Wouldn't the smart option was to pick Klinger for the tour to NZ and let the young bloke have a run in the 20/20??? Considering because of injury that's the only form of cricket he has played this summer???

Iafeta

Referee
On Abbott - wasn't he considered an all rounder? His batting stats for an era of flat tracks, short boundaries and big bats is very very poor. He's a poor mans Chris Pringle.

Bazal

Post Whore
On Abbott - wasn't he considered an all rounder? His batting stats for an era of flat tracks, short boundaries and big bats is very very poor. He's a poor mans Chris Pringle.

Nah. Abbott has always been a bowler who is useful with the bat. Some commentators try and call him an all rounder but they're talking shit. He's no more an all rounder than Tim Southee.

I wouldn't be shocked if he jags a FC hundred or two sometime and he'll score fifties but he's more like a Brett Lee than a genuine all rounder

JJ

Immortal
Klinger? Is he 40 yet??

Just checked, coming up 37 - big career ahead of him.... thing is your selections make no sense - youth one minute, youth with no experience, journeymen, then old journeymen...

Latest posts