What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should we sign for 2022

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I still do not understand why you cannot snag a super rugby centre from NZ.

Every couple of years forever.
Because rugby pays better. A Super Rugby centre can go to Japan or Europe and earn 300k or so. An All Black centre can go and earn 700k. The only centre we've had go across codes was Laumape - the other way. And now he's gone to France.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Because rugby pays better. A Super Rugby centre can go to Japan or Europe and earn 300k or so. An All Black centre can go and earn 700k. The only centre we've had go across codes was Laumape - the other way. And now he's gone to France.
Well I have been watching 'Head High' on Stan. Very kiwi and yes being All Black is all about the fame and fortune. Love the show too. So very kiwi..... beats Victorian crap on ABC or vflbc as I know it.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Well I have been watching 'Head High' on Stan. Very kiwi and yes being All Black is all about the fame and fortune. Love the show too. So very kiwi..... beats Victorian crap on ABC or vflbc as I know it.
Yep not a bad show tbh. Stumbled across it randomly on Stan too

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, absolutely it's fame and fortune too. League's best hope is to pick at the crop before they become established union stars - like we've done with Rocco Berry. Unfortunately, we're not very good at developing young talent so even when we get a young one that has potential, we often fail.

One Warrior

Bench
Bennett for one year in some form of role, before he presumably coaches the new Brisbane expansion team, whichever one it is.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, absolutely it's fame and fortune too. League's best hope is to pick at the crop before they become established union stars - like we've done with Rocco Berry. Unfortunately, we're not very good at developing young talent so even when we get a young one that has potential, we often fail.
your use of the word "often" at the end there is interesting, when was the last time we didn't fail?

JJ

Immortal
Bunty Afoa?
I agree with the ?

Not sure it's a success either

Papali'i makes me mad, in the Dally M team of the year - I know he's partly responsible, but seriously everyone knew he was good...

That said, if we sort ourselves out Taylor could be our equivalent

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I agree with the ?

Not sure it's a success either

Papali'i makes me mad, in the Dally M team of the year - I know he's partly responsible, but seriously everyone knew he was good...

That said, if we sort ourselves out Taylor could be our equivalent

Papalii makes me mad too, but I would reverse it and say the Warriors were partly responsible, but it falls on him.

The most meters he ran in over 60 games at the Warriors? 135m. Do you know how many times he beat that in his first 10 games at the Eels? 9 lol. And many many more for the rest of the season.

We certainly contributed to it, but that comes down to an individuals effort. Even towards the end of last year you’d think he would bust his arse for a new contract. He never did.

waipiro

Juniors
Papalii makes me mad too, but I would reverse it and say the Warriors were partly responsible, but it falls on him.

The most meters he ran in over 60 games at the Warriors? 135m. Do you know how many times he beat that in his first 10 games at the Eels? 9 lol. And many many more for the rest of the season.

We certainly contributed to it, but that comes down to an individuals effort. Even towards the end of last year you’d think he would bust his arse for a new contract. He never did.
I think Papalii is like Taukeiaho...needed to get out of New Zealand and grow up. That's on them. Be interesting If Papalii will kick on next year or will he ride on his first year success like he did after his break out year with us. That will be the test

waipiro

Juniors
your use of the word "often" at the end there is interesting, when was the last time we didn't fail?
We developed Fusitua into a good winger didnt we? When shaun left we lacked the playmakers to give him any decent opportunities...and then Covid restrictions really stopped him in his tracks last few years

JJ

Immortal
We developed Fusitua into a good winger didnt we? When shaun left we lacked the playmakers to give him any decent opportunities...and then Covid restrictions really stopped him in his tracks last few years
Johnson was long ago...

Fus, yeah, kind of... he's not much value atm

JJ

Immortal
Yep but we only had one year without him before covid hit
Not sure what you point is, if Shaun isn’t yet at the point that he can manage things as the primary playmaker then he’s underachieved… which he has, although I understand he was key for us, but I’m still of them view he’s a great downhill skier, e whether he’s the guy you want beside you when things are tough, when the pack is barely breaking even, I think not h go or now…. The great halves (John’s, Lewis, Sterling, Thurston, Mortimer) found a way….

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Not sure what you point is, if Shaun isn’t yet at the point that he can manage things as the primary playmaker then he’s underachieved… which he has, although I understand he was key for us, but I’m still of them view he’s a great downhill skier, e whether he’s the guy you want beside you when things are tough, when the pack is barely breaking even, I think not h go or now…. The great halves (John’s, Lewis, Sterling, Thurston, Mortimer) found a way….

I can answer that for you, no he’s absolutely not that guy. He’s no where near those top halves - but the problem is hardly anyone is.

He’ll improve our team 10 fold from this year, but he’s not the magical missing piece of the puzzle that so many people are hoping/expecting him to be.

The reality is we are still 2 or 3 key pieces away from being a top 3 or 4 team. 2023 and 2024 will likely be our best chances to get close. Manu and a top hooker might get us close, but even then we’ll still have to do a lot of things we’ll

JJ

Immortal
Wonder what the plan is around Egan - I do not see hooker as a particular issue, he's as good as most - Melbourne two, Penrith, Souths, and the Eels until they lost him have better hookers, but most are plod tbh I'm not seeing Egan as worse than league average - there's no chance of us getting a "top" hooker, unless Smith or Grant become dissatisfied with sharing, or Melbourne get tired of Smith's dickheadery...

Halves are a huge issue, if we have Johnson and Taylor we have potential - potential to be good, and potential to be flakey...

Aitken and Berry surely have to be centres...