What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Will Be 2007 Captain??

Stuart

Juniors
I hope it isnt Withers. With Dunemann, Dobson, Carney, Hinchcliffe, Zillman and to a lesser extent McCrone and Herbert at the club i dont think he should be given the relative safety of making the 17 that the captaincy carries. I dont think he is good enough to deserve taht above those other players mentioned...

I would be happy with Thompson or Tongue but would also be supportive of giving the capatiancy to one of our young up and comers. Horse or TLL for example...

I wouldnt be opposed giving it to Chilli Con Carney either, he is a kid that is going to be leading this club next year (with the help of dunemann, withers, zillman, dobson, our halves) he needs to be responsible for the entire team, only then will we see his true potential

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I think Carney would be a good captain. I have a question, does anyone see Carney becoming an origin player in the next few years?

mastertalba

Juniors
I would be guessing Thompson for the fact that he has shown his loyalty to the club for being the first bloke to sign into the next decade and being a one club player which is very rare in this day and age.

Timbo

Staff member
Welcome to the forums, Wollongong Raider.

It's a good question-I used to be pretty adamant in my support of Withers, and whilst I do think he's an automatic selection in the 17 next year, I'm starting to lean towards Tongue.

For mine it's definitely out of those two and Thompson.

I hope it doesn't go to Toddy-He doesn't need that responsibility yet. After one of the above three retires, perhaps.

Stuart

Juniors
schif4eva said:
I think Carney would be a good captain. I have a question, does anyone see Carney becoming an origin player in the next few years?

Carney has matured alot this year and could be a good choice. Id be reluctant though, he is already going to be in a pretty important leadership role next season in the halves and id be inclined to let him focus solely on that next year and not give him extra responsibility outside of that just yet.

If Carney continues to improve, which i think he will, he's a smokey for origin next year IMO. NSW have very little depth at 5/8...injury or very good form could well see him there sooner than most think...

Macko8

Juniors
Definetly Thommo for the simple fact his a genuine clubman who gives his all every game and stays loyal to the raiders each n everytime.
Id have Tonguey as vice captain or co-captain if you like.

Definately not Withers...no way. If he is elected captain then its bullox,
IMO if he was elected captain, the captaincy would go to his head, and thats something we definately dont need.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I assume that's what has secured Thommo here until 2010. His last few games have been outstanding on top of an excellent season and he already looks like a leader.

Brimmer

Juniors
Tongue for mine.

Over the years I played footy, if I had a player who averaged around 50 tackles a match he would definately command my respect.

Players like that, I think, make great captains because he wears his heart on his sleeve and he lets his performances do the talking. Other players thrive on such inspiration.

Just a query...

Anybody know what the all-time or raiders most tackles in a season stat? I'd tip tonguey would be well up there...

edabomb

First Grade
Brimmer said:
Tongue for mine.

Over the years I played footy, if I had a player who averaged around 50 tackles a match he would definately command my respect.

Players like that, I think, make great captains because he wears his heart on his sleeve and he lets his performances do the talking. Other players thrive on such inspiration.

Just a query...

Anybody know what the all-time or raiders most tackles in a season stat? I'd tip tonguey would be well up there...

It's 1005 or something by Richard Swain. They made big deal of it the year he broke the 1000 (2001??). Tongue is easily on target, though I'm not completely sure of what he's on thanks to NRL.coms hopeless stats never being updated. Over 900 though.

SOULS 04

Juniors
i was massive fan of it being tongue but i may be leaning towards carney now. I think he would love the leadership role and then know that so much is on him to perform. he also will have the kicking duties too you would think and thats my only concern alot on a young guys plate but i think he's up to it.

thickos

First Grade
Ed is right about the tackle record being 1005 by Swain.

Tongue's 59 was 17 over his match average, which alone would have got there.

Unless injury strikes he will smash the tackle count by 30-40.

edabomb

First Grade
Carney is only just establishing himself as a starting half. Why don't we just make him captain/CEO/Coach.....

Raiders.com.au has Tongue on 947 tackles.