What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be Wests Tigers Coach in 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brown has an edge over Taylor imo.

Brown's efforts at Huddersfield not only put an end to them being also-rans and a token addition to the Superleague top competition (for being the team where the game was born) to being one of the big 4 sides in the comp.

He made the team reliant more on local talent (in that I mean British, not Australian and Kiwi) than most of the other sides in the comp, made them successful, and even after he left, his work has ensured that they have remained successful.

If he can put an end to the St Helens chokathon in SL Grand Finals, he will have achieved a huge amount in essentially a very short time in England.

Taylor hasn't been able to get himself a full time gig permanently which to me says that there is some flaw with his ability. No doubt he'd be a good coach, but good coaches get head coaching gigs, yet he's been without one for a few years now.

Griffin has been lucky to coach sides that have mostly been dominant in their respective comps, or one city teams.

gallagher

Juniors
It may come down to who Griffin or Taylor can bring with them. The roosters apparently have salry cap pressure and Bennett seems like he could weilding the axe in Bronco land

Matchball

Bench
It may come down to who Griffin or Taylor can bring with them. The roosters apparently have salry cap pressure and Bennett seems like he could weilding the axe in Bronco land

Good point.
Hopefully Griffin then as he would be able to attract Broncos on the outer.
Taylor would bring nothing but his thin lips and alcoholism.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Why are so many jumping on the Taylor train? He knows footy but since retirement he's most notable achievement is getting knocked out by David Faalogo after a dozen beers on Mad Monday.

I realise everyone has their cross to bear but I want my team's players to know not to cross the coach under any circumstances

Alternatively, if my coach has form for getting on the drink with players then he loses points in the respect stakes immediately.

Sorry if this is harsh but I can't overlook it.

Brown won't be taken seriously because his interview was via Skype. The other candidates who met the board in person are at a huge advantage.

I also have no doubt that Matt Parish is very much in the mix. I don't have any mail but I suspect Farah came out of Origin camp singing his praises and that is coincidently when the Potter out campaign started.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brown won't be taken serious because his interview was over skype?

What a weird comment.

Would he be more respected if he abandoned his side who are still in the finals, to fly over here for a face to face interview & then fly back?

The fact he didn't do that is a plus for him. Shows his commitment to the club.

Another day, another piece on the Tigers.

Craig Bellamy has given David Kidwell's coaching credentials a ringing endorsement as Wests Tigers prepare to make a call on the man to replace Mick Potter.

Kidwell, Jason Taylor, Anthony Griffin, Nathan Brown and Todd Payten have all been interviewed for the post, with the joint-venture club's new board meeting on Thursday night to debate the options.

Kidwell, who alongside Payten was Potter's assistant at the Tigers, has a long history with Bellamy. The New Zealand international joined the Storm as a player in 2003, the same year Bellamy was handed the clipboard. Kidwell then spent three years under Bellamy as a coach before moving to Sydney last year for family reasons. Those experiences have convinced Bellamy that Kidwell would be a worthy head coach at the Tigers or another NRL club.

"Going on what I saw in the three years he's had with us [as a deputy] – and obviously he's coached the Junior Kiwis as well – he'd be getting very close to being ready to coach first grade," Bellamy said. "He was a very team-orientated player, that's what he was like, and that's what I found was one of his greatest strengths as a coach. Whatever needs doing, he'll get in and get it done if he thinks it will help the team. He's very knowledgeable about the game, he was always a smart player and will always do what he needs to do. As a coach he works with two teams – the one that goes out on the field and also the coaching team as well. He was very giving in both areas.

"He is a very mature guy for his age. He's got great pride in his origins as a person and that filters in through how he played and how he coached. He'd do a good job if he could get a start."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ng-options-20140925-10m0k3.html#ixzz3EMmvHD2u

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he was any good, Bellamy would have fought to keep him.

Thats the only endorsement that rings true.

So do we all recall someone saying coaches would be lining up for this gig.

So far 3 shit assistant coaches, 1 decent assistant coach, one sacked coach with fair results in the NRL & a successful SuperLeague coach whose side is a good chance of winning the title are all we've had.

typicalfan

Coach
What coach would line up for this gig considering what happened to Potter?

Lucky to have candidates at all. I'd be watching my back with Farah around as well.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
What coach would line up for this gig considering what happened to Potter?
And this is the most pertinent point that some constantly forget

Lucky to have candidates at all. I'd be watching my back with Farah around as well.
Farah isn't the big issue many want to make it out to be.

A CEO with balls could handle Farah easily enough.

A CEO who would give his coach all the authority and access he requires to do his job properly would also ensure that the coach could handle Farah better.

I personally don't think Farah was that much of a problem, he was just the only person who the media would go to for answers about rumours stemming from boardroom leaks.

Leaks that would have been stopped if we had a CEO with some balls.

Bench
If he was any good, Bellamy would have fought to keep him.

Thats the only endorsement that rings true.

So do we all recall someone saying coaches would be lining up for this gig.

So far 3 shit assistant coaches, 1 decent assistant coach, one sacked coach with fair results in the NRL & a successful SuperLeague coach whose side is a good chance of winning the title are all we've had.

We have had Griffin,Taylor,Brown,Kidwell,Payten,Parish and Folkes apply that I know of,with the first 5 getting interviewed,who else is their around to apply,tell me where this super coach is that we should have got.
For Me Griffin,Brown or Taylor will do well,and we should take one of them and back them.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same shit went on with Noyce and Humphries at the helm.
Blaming Mayer for this mess is a stretch.

No it's not. Humphries couldn't even set KPI's for the coach. No balls.

Mayer is no better and no different.

He can't stop the leaks to the media from the boardroom, he can't tell a player to pull his head in, he refuses to kill speculation that could derail the team until after it has derailed the team.

f**king reactive softcock!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have had Griffin,Taylor,Brown,Kidwell,Payten,Parish and Folkes apply that I know of,with the first 5 getting interviewed,who else is their around to apply,tell me where this super coach is that we should have got.
For Me Griffin,Brown or Taylor will do well,and we should take one of them and back them.

We were reliably informed that coaches would be lining up for the gig.

My stance was that there wouldn't be.

It appears, in the media anyway, that Folkes isn't in the picture anymore.

That's sad.

magpie4ever

First Grade
And this is the most pertinent point that some constantly forget

Farah isn't the big issue many want to make it out to be.

A CEO with balls could handle Farah easily enough.

A CEO who would give his coach all the authority and access he requires to do his job properly would also ensure that the coach could handle Farah better.

I personally don't think Farah was that much of a problem, he was just the only person who the media would go to for answers about rumours stemming from boardroom leaks.

Leaks that would have been stopped if we had a CEO with some balls.

Fairyland.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
and you were obviously there and know everything that happened.

To suggest one way or the other is equally plausible and are nothing more than opinions.

get over yourself.

Tiger05

First Grade
We were reliably informed that coaches would be lining up for the gig.

My stance was that there wouldn't be.

It appears, in the media anyway, that Folkes isn't in the picture anymore.

That's sad.

You definitely got this wrong. There are plenty of options.

As for Folkes I have no idea why he is rated so highly on Internet forums.

TimmyB

Juniors
Calling Griffin a sacked coach is a laughable distortion of the truth to suit an agenda. He only lost his job because of specific circumstances which allowed Bennett to walk out on his contract. Or circumstances which rendered his contract void. You make it sounds like Griffin is damaged goods, and I think that is a very, very contestable point.

typicalfan

Coach
Farah certainly wasn't a big help. The guys mentioned are mainly guys looking to get a foot in the door but someone experienced could possibly see it as a poisoned chalice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts