What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be Wests Tigers Coach in 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger05

First Grade
madunit - great response.

Is there a reason why Folkes is rated highly ? I think its another one for the crazy train.

Choo Choo.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
If the final 5 contenders are Brown, Taylor, Griffin, Payten & Kidwell, I'd have Brown as best, closely followed by Taylor and Griffen distant 3rd.

I may be doing them a disservice, but I would not rate Payten or Kidwell simply becuase they were the assistant coaches when the WT ship imploded and if Potter has to wear the blame, and has been sacked for the =temas performance how can the assistant coaches escape the same fate?

Kidwell was defensive coach- WT leaked phenominal amounts of points in the latter half of the season. He simply wasnt good enough and couldnt motivate the players to put their bodies into it. If he was that good, surely he could have motivated the tema to perform for him and at least make a reasonable effort in defence. They didnt, so he is out of contention and should be out of a job at WT

Payten- he was Potter's assistant, the coach the players knew and trusted. Well, that worked well didnt it? As with Kidwell, no abiltity shown to motivate the platers and have them perfrom, even if it was just for him. WT crashed out in the latter half of the season. Payten cannot escape shared blame for the failure. Fresh fields for him elsewhere too.

And overall, there have been persistent rumours all season that these two were white anting Potter and not supporting him presumably with both the player group and WT management. Disloyalty should not be rewarded.

PS I suppose the decison of the successful candidate offered the job will be who is the coaching director / manager of football operations? Any mail on that?

Tiger05

First Grade
I may be doing them a disservice, but I would not rate Payten or Kidwell simply becuase they were the assistant coaches when the WT ship imploded and if Potter has to wear the blame, and has been sacked for the =temas performance how can the assistant coaches escape the same fate?

I agree with this. If one of them get the job I will support them however I don't see how you can sack Potter and give the job to Payten or Kidwell.

I figure coaches are overrated anyway. Look at Bennett at Newcastle. You need the players to do well.

Tiger05

First Grade
Ignorance isn't intelligence

Of course but what has that got to do with your comments regarding Folkes. If you can't face the subject directly just say so. Its cool by me. If you can try to use facts to back up your opinion.

It should be as simple as your comments regarding no one would coach us. Facts have proven you wrong. Do you have any facts to back up why Folkes is so highly regarded ?

Matchball

Bench
Of course but what has that got to do with your comments regarding Folkes. If you can't face the subject directly just say so. Its cool by me. If you can try to use facts to back up your opinion.

It should be as simple as your comments regarding no one would coach us. Facts have proven you wrong. Do you have any facts to back up why Folkes is so highly regarded ?

For a start, Folkes was our fitness coach when we made the finals in 10 and 11.
It was our only finals appearances since 2005 so I guess He had us in top condition and could do it again.

Tiger05

First Grade
For a start, Folkes was our fitness coach when we made the finals in 10 and 11.
It was our only finals appearances since 2005 so I guess He had us in top condition and could do it again.

I understand how people can sort of jump to conclusions but to me a fitness coach doesn't correlate to being a head coach.

If you take a step back you must be able to see that this means jack shit.

Now he might be a decent option. I don't know. I do think though that there is no possible reason for the Folkes love.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand how people can sort of jump to conclusions but to me a fitness coach doesn't correlate to being a head coach.

If you take a step back you must be able to see that this means jack shit.

Now he might be a decent option. I don't know. I do think though that there is no possible reason for the Folkes love.

You do realise Folkes has been a head coach before.

He made the finals 7 times in 11 seasons (it would've been 8 if it weren't for club administrators rorting the cap)

Thats the same number of finals appearances in 11 years than Wests Tigers, Balmain and the Magpies combined have had since 1990.

His background in strength and conditioning would be a massive bonus to us given that its widely ackowledged by those involved with the club, that we are very very poor in this area.

He is also very good with defensive structures. Another of our weaknesses.

We need him at the club.

We all know this, but you just opt to argue against it for the sake of arguing. This much is evident when you do not provide a single shred of anything tangible or rational to any of your arguments.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jason Taylor was last a head coach in 2009.
Steve Folkes was last a head coach in 2008

Taylor has a win % of 46.1%
Folkes has a win % of 56.3%
Griffin has a win % of 53.5% at a club whose career success rate is 62.24% in a one club city.

Folkes qualifications and skills in strength and conditioning is an addition to his coaching capability.

Tiger05

First Grade
You do realise Folkes has been a head coach before.

Yes.

He made the finals 7 times in 11 seasons (it would've been 8 if it weren't for club administrators rorting the cap)

So he had better players because they were cheating which puts his record under a little cloud at least.

His background in strength and conditioning would be a massive bonus to us given that its widely ackowledged by those involved with the club, that we are very very poor in this area.

I'm not convinced with regards to this point at all.

He is also very good with defensive structures. Another of our weaknesses.

Wasn't Kidwell the defensive coach at the storm ? It didn't help us out this year.

We all know this, but you just opt to argue against it for the sake of arguing. This much is evident when you do not provide a single shred of anything tangible or rational to any of your arguments.

Top story bro.

My rational argument is pretty simple - I have no idea if Folkes is a good option or not. I don't believe in the hero worshiping though.

As for who will be the coach I really don't care. There are a bunch of options. Give the one who interviews the best and has the best resume a chance. If they fail you can move them on.

Tiger05

First Grade
Thanks for proving my last point right once again, muppet.

How so ??? I just don't see any reason for putting Folkes on a pedestal. I don't get it.

As a side point you have a lot of anger dude. Take a chill pill.

TimmyB

Juniors
Jason Taylor was last a head coach in 2009.
Steve Folkes was last a head coach in 2008

Taylor has a win % of 46.1%
Folkes has a win % of 56.3%
Griffin has a win % of 53.5% at a club whose career success rate is 62.24% in a one club city.

Folkes qualifications and skills in strength and conditioning is an addition to his coaching capability.

I know you live in a fairyland where statistics are everything, but Griffin didn't have a Lockyer or Langer (not to mention the half a dozen other class players that played with Langer) at his disposal. It's chalk and cheese. He was in a rebuilding phase. Had Hunt playing wonderful footy this year.

Tiger05

First Grade
Results.

That's the reason.

I totally agree that results matter. That is why all that matters is the results for whoever is the next coach. If that is Folkes and he does well that is great. If it is Payten and we win games sweet.

I'll trust the board to pick the best option and then if the coach doesn't get results I say sack them ala Potter.

innsaneink

Referee
I cant see us getting results instantly unless the new blokes a magician.

We need a long term plan, we need to continue to rebuild, we need to improve in so many area off field and on, membership, merch, marketing, player recruitment, strength cond, fitness, defense, attitude and a winning culture etc etc

That doesnt come instantly....the GM & coach must click and have a good rapport, these are crucial appointments

Matchball

Bench
Well that was fun.
Complete circle jerk from your original point.

You're a grade A imbecile.

Edit: 05, not ink.

Bench
I know you live in a fairyland where statistics are everything, but Griffin didn't have a Lockyer or Langer (not to mention the half a dozen other class players that played with Langer) at his disposal. It's chalk and cheese. He was in a rebuilding phase. Had Hunt playing wonderful footy this year.

That is bang on about Griffin,he rebuilt what was a poor bronco team,he developed players a few in particular,Hunt and McCullough have improved out of sight and are now dominant players,he doesn't get credit for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts