What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be Wests Tigers Coach in 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Wests Tigers expected to unveil Jason Taylor as new coach

Michael Carayannis
Published: September 29, 2014 - 2:41PM

Jason Taylor is expected to be announced as Wests Tigers coach as early as Monday afternoon.

It is understood the Wests Tigers players will be informed of the appointment at a 4pm meeting at Concord Oval. The club is also expected to announce a new general manager of football on Monday.

The former Western Suburbs halfback is expected to return as a head coach for the first time since being sacked by the Rabbitohs at the end of 2009. Fairfax Media understands Taylor beat a host of candidates including Anthony Griffin, Nathan Brown, David Kidwell and Todd Payten to replace Mick Potter as coach of the club next season. All five candidates were interviewed last week in front of members of the club's new-look board.

After coaching Parramatta and South Sydney, Taylor has spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach of the Roosters. Taylor, who played 86 top grade games for the Magpies before stints with North Sydney, Northern Eagles and Parramatta, went close to returning to the Eels as head coach this year before a late backflip by the club led to Brad Arthur being installed as coach.

Taylor oversaw South Sydney's return to finals in 2007.

Potter's two-year deal stint was engulfed with off-field woes, while on the field the side struggled with an array of injuries.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ason-taylor-as-new-coach-20140929-10ni5j.html

Tiger05

First Grade
A coach who was knocked out by one of his own players only a few years ago. Fantastic...

Look on the positives:-

1. He has been a part of the successful Roosters team.
2. He has a background from the Wests side of the venture.
3. We have sacked an under-performing coach. This might be tough but I hear you complain about accepting mediocrity a lot. This shows that we are not going down that path.
4. There were a bunch of available options. I assume that we choose the best one.
5. He is completely new to our team and hopefully will not be caught up in supporting any cliques within the club.

I think we should support him and see how he goes.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Look on the positives:-

1. He has been a part of the successful Roosters team.
2. He has a background from the Wests side of the venture.
3. We have sacked an under-performing coach. This might be tough but I hear you complain about accepting mediocrity a lot. This shows that we are not going down that path.
4. There were a bunch of available options. I assume that we choose the best one.
5. He is completely new to our team and will not be caught up in supporting any cliques within the club.

The only point of note is number 5 and if they couldn't get that one right, well...

The other points are irrelevant.

Good luck to him (he'll need it) and I will give him a chance, but forgive me if I am not filled with confidence.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taylor will work out quite well imo, but only if Payten and Kidwell are sacked and we get Folkes as his boss.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
You guys have evidence the Tigers are leaking? Could be Taylor's agent. Rugby League news leaks all the time.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
One thing I do like about Taylor is apparently he had a very good work ethic at training and his personal fitness regime made it possible to play that long run of games....I just hope he can transpose that into his coaching!!!

Tigers Tale

Juniors
So we know Taylor will be coach in 2015. Now I want to know who will be the Football General Manager because if they get that decision wrong we will be mixing oil and water and we will be no better off next year.

I am confident they will get it right but still concerned. I have said a few times we have a crop of young players that can take us to the next level but if we get it wrong off the field it will all be for nothing on it.

I still love my (Wests) Tigers....:lol:

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Eh, besides getting punted by Souffs the guy has a decent record with them (took them to their first finals in years from memory) as well as Parra and U20s. I'm not unhappy with this and like every year and have blind faith we can hopefully turn things around.

He comes from a culture of success at the Roosters and that's gotta be a good thing.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Official WT email...

Wests Tigers announce General Manager of Football Operations and NRL Head Coach

Wests Tigers have today announced that Phil Moss will be joining the Club as General Manager of Football Operations, with Jason Taylor appointed as NRL Head Coach.

Moss will take on the newly created General Manager of Football Operations role, having most recently held a similar position at the Penrith Panthers. Moss also spent eight years at the Parramatta Eels with his most recent position as Chief Operating Officer.

Moss’ experience is extensive in the areas of salary cap management, development pathways, and welfare & education. Moss will oversee NRL, NYC & NSW Cup administration.

Jason Taylor has been NRL Assistant Coach at the Sydney Roosters for the past two seasons, and was an integral part of their premiership win in 2013. Having previously held NRL Head Coaching roles at both the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Parramatta Eels, Taylor has shown a strong desire to develop talented youth, and has been exceptionally impressive in his aspirations to bring through the many young talented players at the Wests Tigers. Taylor is also a strong advocate for discipline and culture, saying that the Club has strong foundations that he can build on as NRL Head Coach.

A selection committee nominated by the Wests Tigers Board for the Head Coaching role comprised of CEO Grant Mayer and three directors, with one representative from Wests, Balmain, and the Independents.

The recruitment process was thorough, with a long list of candidates for both jobs. The selection committee interviewed five candidates for the NRL Head Coach role, followed by a screening process that resulted in Jason Taylor being selected for the job.

Wests Tigers Chair Marina Go said that the appointments were important steps for the Club as it looks to the 2015 season and well beyond.

“The Wests Tigers Board is thrilled to welcome Jason Taylor and Phil Moss, two highly skilled and experienced Rugby League professionals with impressive track records,” said Go. “Their appointments are key to building a new culture and setting the foundations for a successful future at Wests Tigers. This is an important step forward for our Club."

Wests Tigers CEO Grant Mayer said that the Club was looking forward to working closely with Moss and Taylor.

“Both Phil and Jason embraced all of the criteria that the club set for these roles and knowing that they have shared a strong working relationship in the past, the board and management have great confidence that they will lead the Wests Tigers forward,” Mayer said.

“The partnership between Phil and Jason is imperative with both given very clear objectives. Phil will manage the entire football program, with Jason taking on the core coaching responsibilities for the NRL squad. The demands for Head Coaches these days are so diverse that having Phil in the General Manager role will allow Jason to do what he does best.

“Jason has been given full autonomy to interview and appoint his coaching staff. No doubt his first point of call will be to meet with the existing staff to understand their individual strengths. Phil will support Jason in this endeavor and will also build a structure across NYC & NSW Cup that will compliment what the club and the NRL Team,” he said. “The key element for this relationship is that we have a very clear linear approach to how we develop our players from our grassroots program from Harold Matthews and SG Ball all the way to the NRL.

“In regards to our playing roster, many of our Members and fans rejoiced with the Club when we secured players such as Aaron Woods, Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses, James Tedesco, David Nofoaluma and Tim Simona. A key part of the interview process was to ensure that Jason was comfortable with these players, and that he could build around this core group and Captain Robbie Farah, as well as club stalwarts like Chris Lawrence and Keith Galloway. Further recruitment and retention will fall into Jason’s core responsibility. The Club has halted all negotiations throughout this interview process to ensure our Head Coach is given the control he deserves. This process is no different to any other NRL Club or how this Club has operated historically despite what may have been reported,” Mayer said.

Both Moss and Taylor are expected to start with the club no later than October 14, which will ensure they have ample time to prepare for player’s return to 2015 pre-season training on November 3.

Tiger05

First Grade
You can't see how point 2 contradicts point 5?

Only if you are dumb as dogshit. You'd have to believe all sorts of stupid shit like for instance we would struggle to find a coach.

If you had a half a brain you would realize that he played years ago for Western Suburbs but has had nothing to do with the club recently.

Tiger05

First Grade
The club has handled this pretty professionally. It was leaked today and out comes the information regarding the coach and GM today.

It all sounds positive.

Pezz70

Juniors
The club has handled this pretty professionally. It was leaked today and out comes the information regarding the coach and GM today.

It all sounds positive.

The rumour was pretty strong late last week, I heard it on Friday morning from a friend of a friend. It's not the first time he has been right about stuff in tiger town.

It doesn't seem a good fit to me but here's hoping. One thing I think is certain is there'll be some big time head butting going in between senior players and the new coach about midway through next season.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only if you are dumb as dogshit.
A former Wests Player is not going to be biased towards Wests. Fair enough genius.
You'd have to believe all sorts of stupid shit like for instance we would struggle to find a coach.
I never said that. The fact you think I did shows that you are as dumb as dogshit.

If you had a half a brain you would realize that he played years ago for Western Suburbs but has had nothing to do with the club recently.
If you had half a brain you'd realise that most of the board members for Balmain and Wests played for their respective clubs even longer ago that Taylor.

And yet both sides are still bitching.

Tiger05

First Grade
MU - you've been nothing but a dumb f**k recently and you should just drop your stupid bullshit.

Just putting out the stupid shit that you have said that has been proven 100% wrong:-

1. No coach will come to us. Reality is they were queuing up and the club choose the candidate that think is the best option.
2. Guru super-coach Folkes has to get the job because he is a brilliant guru. He didn't even get an interview because people with half a brain can see that your BS is BS.
3. We couldn't sign any players. The rumors are that we have already signed 2 young players that could slot into our squad with no problems.

Last on the list is the dumb f**k comment that our S & C/medical staff are the reason we get injuries. This is patently BS but like all the others it will take some time to get it through the head of dumb f**ks like yourselves that you are dumb f**ks.

Keep arguing if you want to but facts beat bullshit every day of the week and I have facts and you have a steaming pile of bullshit.

How does it feel to get it so f**ken wrong so f**ken often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts