What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Will Win The 2008 World Cup

Going on NZ's performance last night, the fact they will only get younger as their top players are available next year and they will be lead by the likes of Williams and Marshall in 2008....I have to say Im leaning towards New Zealand right now.

I dont think England stands a chance as their younger players just dont kick on.

Australia will field a good team, but where the the young superstars that will step up? Johnes wont be there, Lockyer looks 50/50 at this stage, we havent god any good young props that are standing tall and putting their hand up as future Test players.

Im just not seeing the same bright future for Australia as I am for NZ.

Anyway, what do you think?

carlnz

Bench
Its hard to say, just remember it was one win last night, the Kiwis need to back it up this week to prove it was no fluke.

With the up and coming talent you have to say NZ will be there...and if England can get their young ones to kick on and France keep there best players from going to Rugby..it could be all on!!

2 and a half years is a long long time.

But still....the thought of Williams, Marshall, Pritchard, Asotasi, cayless, Whatuira and the like running out in the World Cup final....I mean, THAT is a good side.

I know its a long way off, injuries and other things will come into play. But I think going off of last nighst win, the way they won, the composure the Kiwi's showed when in the past they would have fallen over.....its interesting.

The Tank

Bench
I believe New Zealand have a shot...and I'm not basing that on last night's performance whatsoever...As you say Freak the young talent coming through makes for a good future for the Kiwis.

thommo4pm

Coach
Could you imagine a NZ v France Final.....

That would be a major boost for the International League game and the future of the great sport.
It may be a kick in the butt for the organisers who will be praying Australia make the final, but it would be great in the overall scheme of things.
Just a thought......

Sun_Down

Juniors
I will probably be criticised for this, but in my opinion, England look pretty screwed, they dont have nearly as many young players as NZ etc.

Final for my mind: NZ or France V Australia

Big Bunny

Juniors
NZ has the talent, but they don't have what it takes mentally to consistently put a team on the field that's prepared to work for 80 minutes. It's not a problem with fitness, it's just that their forwards in particular are always looking for the easy way out. You can put Marshall on the field and all of the great Kiwi impact players in the premiership next to him, but he'll still be firing when the others have gone into a lull because luck might have stopped going their way for a couple of sets of six. In contrast, when the chips are down Australia digs deep, they work harder. NZ just won't. Even the mental abilities of the much maligned Great Britain side serves up better than that, because whilst they can't match Aus & NZ for raw talent or even fitness in the last 20min of a Test, they at least keep trying.

screeny

Bench
BB,

What you're saying is true, but perhaps this is where McClennan, Master Coach, comes into the equation?

He identified NZ's lack of mental toughness as a key and is addressing it. A big win will do no harm to his attempts at changing the Kiwis' mindset.

Big Bunny

Juniors
screeny said:
BB,

What you're saying is true, but perhaps this is where McClennan, Master Coach, comes into the equation?

He identified NZ's lack of mental toughness as a key and is addressing it. A big win will do no harm to his attempts at changing the Kiwis' mindset.

I agree mate, McClennan might be just what the doctor ordered, but can he achieve a miracle over the length of a single tournament? I don't believe so. NZ last night turned to water when an ounce of bad luck went against them, only to then have a little dig when they finally had something go their way again. Until NZ decides to control the flow of the game rather than react to the flow created by the opposition after an initital 20-30min siege, they will never consistently beat Australia despite being better on paper (as they will be at full strength).

rlinternational

Juniors
NZ do have great young players, but so do Australia - Thurston, Watmough, Stewart, Bott, that hooker for Melbourne Storm, Tim Smith etc etc.
Should be between Australia and NZ imo.

Parraletic

Juniors
The Australian Kangaroos will win again. Let's not get to excited that the Aussies have lost 1 test, we all know they'll come back & win.
Go Australia!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Depends on injuries to key players. It is out of NZ/Australia. GB will try hard but I can't see the depth that the other two sides have.

The Tank

Bench
Depth is definately improving for the Kiwis. The quality of the players that played yesterday was quite high - despite alot of missing players.

Hari Kari

Juniors
Australia should go ok.

they'll have quality players in key positions.

1. Mini ~ Bowen ~ Hunt

6/7. T.Smith ~ Prince ~ Orford ~ Thurston ~ Barrett

9. Farah

still a long way off but the team will have some of these blokes or someone who finds form and can play as good as them. plenty of other possibles.

screeny

Bench
Big Bunny said:
I agree mate, McClennan might be just what the doctor ordered, but can he achieve a miracle over the length of a single tournament? I don't believe so. NZ last night turned to water when an ounce of bad luck went against them, only to then have a little dig when they finally had something go their way again. Until NZ decides to control the flow of the game rather than react to the flow created by the opposition after an initital 20-30min siege, they will never consistently beat Australia despite being better on paper (as they will be at full strength).

In 'The Great Split: Rugby's Class War' RFL archivist Ton Collins subscribes Wales's infatuation with RU down to one single victory, against the all powerful NZ All Black side of so-snd-so year.

Before Saturday's Test I really was excited, not just for the usual Test footy reasons, but due to McClennan's approach to the Test and the realisation that the Kiwis in all honesty throw away Tests v Australia just as much as the Roos win them.

NZ did have a semi-collapse but who honestly believed they would recover? None of us. But the did and perhaps that one victory could - just maybe - be a seminal turning point in their Test fortunes.

Bennet was also to blame a little as his reorganisation of the side after Tahu's removal cost them dearly. Waterhouse was out of position on Webb's try and provided no threat down the left. The NZers also had a lot of joy targetting that side of Australia's defence, with Toopi's third and Cayless's try coming on their right.

If Bennett doesn't readjust and McClennan somehow convinces the Kiwis it was no fluke.....welll, you never know, we could be on the verge of something big.

Latest posts