What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will win the halves race?

Rich102

Staff member
The search for Shaun Johnson's Warriors replacement has been narrowed down to two players — and both are relatively unknown youngsters.

Warriors' coach Stephen Kearney confirmed on Thursday that the club was not looking to recruit any halves to fill the vacuum left by Johnson's departure.

The Warriors were linked with a number of playmakers in the wake of Johnson's exit, and the ongoing machinations of the NRL market mean there might still be options available.

But Kearney ruled out bringing someone in and is instead putting his faith in local Chanel Harris-Tavita and ex Bulldogs and Panthers utility Adam Keighran.

Neither have played first grade but both have obvious potential.

Keighran, 21, was named in the 2018 Intrust Super Premiership team of the year, while 19-year-old Harris-Tavita played for the Junior Kiwis last October and was the Warriors 2017 NYC player of the year.

"In my eyes, at this stage, we are fine with who we have," said Kearney, when asked about halves options. "They are tracking along nicely."

As they enter their third month of pre-season training, Harris-Tavita and Keighran have both spent plenty of time beside Blake Green, now the Warriors' only established playmaker.

"They have both put their hands up over the course of the summer," said Kearney. "They are [two] young men who sense there is an opportunity. We have been putting them in as Greenie's other half, different each week, so they get a run with Greenie."

"I couldn't say [who is ahead] at this stage," said Kearney. "It changes from session to session. All I know they are working really hard, [and] doing a lot of work with [assistant coaches] Stacey [Jones] and Todd [Payten].

"We are swapping the young guys each week. We won't make that decision until after the two trials that we have had. They will get an opportunity against Melbourne to play together but in terms of final decision making we won't do that until we have to…the week before the competition starts."

Peta Hiku has utility appeal, but Kearney said it was unlikely he would be shifted from his centre or wing spot. And there appears to be little prospect of Tohu Harris reprising his cameos in the No 6 jersey, having been an unlikely five-eighth for both the Kiwis and the Storm.

"Absolutely not," laughed Kearney of Harris. "[He's] ruled out. Well and truly".

Rotorua product Hayze Perham was also mentioned as a possibility, though he's an outside contender given the difficult transition from fullback to the halves.

The decision – and the process – is one of the most important challenges of Kearney's coaching career. He has to identify the most suitable option to take on the second playmaking role, then equip him with the confidence and belief to perform in one of the most demanding positions in the NRL.

Hooker Issac Luke has made encouraging progress after his offseason operation but still looks an outside chance to be ready for the season-opener in two months.

"It will be touch and go," said Kearney. "He is tracking along fairly well and he is a bit further ahead than we anticipated but a lot of that will depend on when he starts doing the contact work."

Captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is also carrying a niggle, described by Kearney as a soft tissue injury, but it is not serious and he took a full part in training on Thursday.

www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12191986

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Sounds encouraging. Good to hear Harris and Hiku aren’t in the frame, must mean the young guys are looking decent.
Any news on Roache? Is he fit?

Sounds encouraging. Good to hear Harris and Hiku aren’t in the frame, must mean the young guys are looking decent.

Roache has aggravated an old injury and can't catch a break I read somewhere. Ben Henry the 2nd lol we got Luke and Lawton but would love to see Roache in the mix.

Matua

Bench
I wish I could muster up some of your enthusiasm for this poop show. But comments like this don't fill me with hope:
"I couldn't say [who is ahead] at this stage," said Kearney. "It changes from session to session.

MKEB...

Staff member
What I am hearing, is that Harris-Tavita is looking a good option at this stage.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
My speculation on Kearney’s statement - Harris-Tavita is looking good but is very green, while Keighran is looking like he’ll be a reliable option having had more time at NSW Cup level. Hence his statement that it changes from session to session is likely correct.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Geez I wish they had footage of Keighran and Harris-Tavita on youtube. So far I can only find Harris-Tavitas "scorpion kick" try set up. Couldn't find anything on Keighran so I guess I'll just have to wait for the season.

Geez I wish they had footage of Keighran and Harris-Tavita on youtube. So far I can only find Harris-Tavitas "scorpion kick" try set up. Couldn't find anything on Keighran so I guess I'll just have to wait for the season.

Keighran's goal kick that sealed an ISP victory has done the rounds on Facebook. He has a good boot and legs made out of Granite. Looks cool under pressure. I don't see that same calmness with our Kiwi Boys. Aussies always have the advantage of being battle ready earlier than our boys hence why I voted Keighran to start in Round 1. One thing the Kiwi lads have over the battle ready Aussies is our freakish / natural talents at Junior level.

Also Keighran is a goal kicker and with SJ gone we only have Luke and Keighran as noted goal kickers. Kata can but nobody loves him enough to be even in the starting 17 let alone our GK.

[0]=68.ARCwWFkiZYq1XKnCfqK-EnWSlzd08LgkJNAJ1UXO-2B03kaxwmjS0DATqYqm0ScJw7ZQurBKZazjakXc0zW4ieerkgEMdPNjivNgoAFX5rN7m92E2BZVTwMzPcbmjsjivjuvzXIFc3MX0fEbPu0W7FgaJ6_Crj28UWC3HFs7-V0B9wDVk8ka8UHBJ3oL7k4EfRVVb7TKGPuNQYdAKz0iNSGSh7ij5gbYwFdniu592I-Y1jOt9UZCWKiItVQjmIEb8Ta3dX9kkqFl7L3-IBhkxY0WKiMFRShBQ9RiW-WXgB8QZYo_vQFkrKbEPRJtRGhB3NgN5W5t&__tn__=K-R

1. RTS
6. Keighran
7. Green
9. Luke

Last edited:

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Yeah I agree...imo we have a lot of x factor/strike in players like RTS, Hiku, Fusi, Luke etc so we're not screaming out for any more.
A well rated junior Aussie whose gone through the system will be a great addition and add some balance to the squad.

Jeeze a pairing of Green and Keighran, who would have picked that 15 months ago?
I can't remember the last time we didn't have atleast one dynamic, x factor type half in our team

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Fien/Rovelli/Witt combinations never took us to the ULTIMATE. The grand final.

In 2002 it was Jones/Tony/Hohaia. In 2011 it was Johnson/Maloney/Hohaia, that went to grand finals. Yes...KILLER halves combinations.

I just thought the 2002 and 2011 halves were worth a mention if were gonna talk finals footy. Guys that have BEEN there...