What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach for 2015 on

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach from 2015 on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT0007

Juniors
I like Smith but based on what he said I think we can rule him out as he wouldnt have said what he did if he thought he was a candidate. I'm not sure that I want Bennett as he seems to have hit a wall like he did mid 2011 and he doesnt have the answers. Not a fan of Henry due to his low win percentage so I'm leaning toward Sheens. I'm not convinced with Macgreggor but I think he has the respect of the players and that has helped and I like the style of footy they are playing

Godz Illa

Coach
I like Smith but based on what he said I think we can rule him out as he wouldnt have said what he did if he thought he was a candidate. I'm not sure that I want Bennett as he seems to have hit a wall like he did mid 2011 and he doesnt have the answers. Not a fan of Henry due to his low win percentage so I'm leaning toward Sheens. I'm not convinced with Macgreggor but I think he has the respect of the players and that has helped and I like the style of footy they are playing
Sheens has made 3 finals series since 1996 but Bennett is the one who's hit a wall?

FlameThrower

Bench
We can forget Bennent, Bellamy, rumour is Henry is going to Titans in 2015. Now we hear Smith not keen as well, this us not good, we are not that much of a basket case surely? Not so sure about Sheens now.
The list is getting smaller by the minute. I still say look outside, need new blood, with new coaching staff, I'd prefer Shaun Wane.
No to any rookie coach...

BrissyRedV

Bench
We can forget Bennent, Bellamy, rumour is Henry is going to Titans in 2015. Now we hear Smith not keen as well, this us not good, we are not that much of a basket case surely? Not so sure about Sheens now.
The list is getting smaller by the minute. I still say look outside, need new blood, with new coaching staff, I'd prefer Shaun Wane.

Yep, the list is getting smaller. All the good coaches are locked up on long term deals with their current NRL clubs and all that is left is the scraps. Now is not the time to be risking another few years rebuilding with a rookie coach. We need a coach that is going to attract talent and not be a push over with our current management and board issues. We also need a coach who is going to cultivate and help develop our juniors. The guy you have mentioned is the guy who can do this for us and he is the guy who I would like us to approach. Highly unlikely that we will, but it would be nice if we went for the best available.

Out of everyone else, I still cringe when Sheens or Henry is mentioned. I don't think they would bring us the success we crave and good coaches rarely get sacked. Taylor has experienced the top job before and was sacked but not for his teams on field performance, might be an option but would he attract players and would he stand up to Doust? Who knows. He may be the best option available in the NRL currently. But the longer this drags I get this sinking feeling that we are going to end up with Mary or Millard as coach for 2015 which will be a disaster.

Como Connection

First Grade
That's a strange story about Henry, he is the assistant coach at the Titians already, drives one of their vehicles, wears their gear, etc etc, please explain, is it bye bye Carty then !!

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Bennet is no chance, he has to be either staying in Newcastle or heading home to QLD. Perhaps as coach of the Titans? I still think he is after a third premiership with a third club.

When we are after Bellamy, you couldn't blame Doust for thinking we were a chance. he had just won the 2012 comp.........there is nothing else to achieve in Melbourne. But it looks like Bellamy, Smith, Cronk and Slater are all glued by the backside and will retire together.

Hasler? I never thought he'd leave Manly, but looks like he is a career coach, so if he wins one with the Dogs, he might want a new challenge, but we can't wait around for this scenario to play out.

This Shaun Wane sounds the goods, but is he an Aussie or a Pom? He might not be the right long term choice if he wants to return home to the U.K.
Tony Smith seems to have settled in the UK, has it been 20 years since he left Oz? The UK may be his home too now.

I' be targeting someone who can manage our juniors as well as the NRL side, and the best we had besides Brian Smith was Nathan Brown. I also think Jason Taylor should be considered, being an assistant to Robinson and winning a comp has surely helped his development.
So Doust should be thinking, "I'm either going to appoint an experienced but youngish coach like Nathan Brown, or an older experienced coach like Brian Smith or Tim Sheens, with a Jason Taylor or Jim Dymock as assistant and have a succession plan in place for one of these assistants to take over in 3-4 years."

BrissyRedV

Bench
Bennet is no chance, he has to be either staying in Newcastle or heading home to QLD. Perhaps as coach of the Titans? I still think he is after a third premiership with a third club.

When we are after Bellamy, you couldn't blame Doust for thinking we were a chance. he had just won the 2012 comp.........there is nothing else to achieve in Melbourne. But it looks like Bellamy, Smith, Cronk and Slater are all glued by the backside and will retire together.

Hasler? I never thought he'd leave Manly, but looks like he is a career coach, so if he wins one with the Dogs, he might want a new challenge, but we can't wait around for this scenario to play out.

This Shaun Wane sounds the goods, but is he an Aussie or a Pom? He might not be the right long term choice if he wants to return home to the U.K.
Tony Smith seems to have settled in the UK, has it been 20 years since he left Oz? The UK may be his home too now.

I' be targeting someone who can manage our juniors as well as the NRL side, and the best we had besides Brian Smith was Nathan Brown. I also think Jason Taylor should be considered, being an assistant to Robinson and winning a comp has surely helped his development.
So Doust should be thinking, "I'm either going to appoint an experienced but youngish coach like Nathan Brown, or an older experienced coach like Brian Smith or Tim Sheens, with a Jason Taylor or Jim Dymock as assistant and have a succession plan in place for one of these assistants to take over in 3-4 years."

You are suggesting Doust could possibly have some foresight and forward planning which is as likely as Bellamy or Hasler breaking their contracts to come to us. Unfortunately, with our current management, we are likely to be more worried about the bottom line and signing the cheapest possible and that usually means someone internal to the club.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
You are suggesting Doust could possibly have some foresight and forward planning which is as likely as Bellamy or Hasler breaking their contracts to come to us. Unfortunately, with our current management, we are likely to be more worried about the bottom line and signing the cheapest possible and that usually means someone internal to the club.

Maybe some previous club legends, from both sides of the merger, should have a look at what happened at Parramatta and follow suite to shake up the board.......some short term pain for long term gain.

Como Connection

First Grade
I feel the club will wait for Bennett's decision, then it's either Sheens or Henry.
If so we have a few weeks to wait for Wayne's decision, not sure we can wait that long.

GT0007

Juniors
Sheens has made 3 finals series since 1996 but Bennett is the one who's hit a wall?

I don't know if you've checked the table but Bennetts side is running last midway so I'd say he's hit a wall. They've lost 7 or 8 in a row. Sheens is one of the better options of available coaches. AS for his Record in making finals he's done pretty well with the squad he's had. Not many superstars come thru the Tigers or go to them. Someone gave him the Aussie job for a reason. I'd be happy with Smith or Brown but maybe we need so done from outside the club to evoke change

GT0007

Juniors
I feel the club will wait for Bennett's decision, then it's either Sheens or Henry.
If so we have a few weeks to wait for Wayne's decision, not sure we can wait that long.

Do we know if anyone has spoken to Wayne? I don't think he's the type of guy who would be happy to compete for the job

Can't help but think if they want Henry they better be quick because if the titans keep losing Cartwright is gone and Henry will get the gig and we'll mis out!

Coffs dragon

Bench
Unfortunately, you can put a line through Bennett returning to the Dragons. That won't happen & that boat has long sailed. I expect he will honour his contract at the Knights & be there next year. I have heard a whisper from a Bronco club office staff that there is secrecy & dealings going on behind the scenes to get Bennett back at the Broncos in 2016 in a Director of Coaching Role. He will not be the head coach and he would never replace Griffin, if sacked. In true Bennett style, all remains confidential and private to the media rumours. The Dragons move is pie in the sky theory only.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Can't help but think if they want Henry they better be quick because if the titans keep losing Cartwright is gone and Henry will get the gig and we'll mis out!

I feel this is close to reality & will happen with Henry taking over from next year. The fact our club has not announced a coach for next year & beyond, probably rules out Sheens and Henry as they are both available and have no commitments. So that tells me its possibly someone still under a contract & unwilling to divulge their intentions and departure. That to me points to Brownie or Daley...I will put my bet on Brownie with Mary as his assistant !! My logic could be wide of the mark, however I think Brownie was telling a fib by saying he won't return to the Dragons.

Godz Illa

Coach
I don't know if you've checked the table but Bennetts side is running last midway so I'd say he's hit a wall. They've lost 7 or 8 in a row. Sheens is one of the better options of available coaches. AS for his Record in making finals he's done pretty well with the squad he's had. Not many superstars come thru the Tigers or go to them. Someone gave him the Aussie job for a reason. I'd be happy with Smith or Brown but maybe we need so done from outside the club to evoke change
:lol: GT there is so much wrong with this post I barely know where to begin. Just like your laughable claim that Mitch Rein is a good defender based purely on tackle count, you are letting surface stats tell you the whole story.
Bennett's Knights are not having a good year on the field. But the fact the club has been a shambles off the field all year long, and the traumatic loss of Alex McKinnon affords them some excuses. They did get within 80 minutes of a grand final last year.
That Sheens' record is abysmal is his fault alone, the 05 Bradbury premiership notwithstanding. His recruitment and retention decisions were poor at best, and his selections were laughable to everyone but Tigers fans.
He got the Aussie job for a reason, sure: because Stuart was sacked and no-one else wanted it. Another Bradbury. Despite the fact it is the easiest coaching job outside of the Harlem Globetrotters he still managed to lose the 2010 Tri Nations tournament (mainly due to his own stupid selection of Tuqiri on the wing instead of Boyd - Tuqiri made several crucial errors in the final).

In short he's a nightmare choice and would be akin to the Roosters hiring of Chris Anderson in 2007. A guy they only hired because they missed out on Bennett