What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who'd like to win a Premiership?

Eelementary

Post Whore
'Cos it ain't gonna happen at Parra. Not for a while.

I've finally bitten the bullet and admitted it - while I (quite rightly) think that we can make the top four next year, that is as far as we will go. Watching the Grand Final yesterday (CONGRATS PENNO!) made me realise a few things:

1.) You don't need extraordinary players to beat the Top Teams. No offense to Penno, but they don't have any HUGE names in their side. But they convincingly won. It's a matter of standing up to your opponents, and giving it a go for 80 minutes. It's also an attitude issue. We here at Parra do NOT have that attitude.

2.) The opening 30 minutes was the most intense football I have ever witnessed. It is that sort of form required to win Premierships, and we do not have that. Watching Lang catch the ball and throw himslef tirelessly at the Roosters defence made me think - would Vella do that? Would even Cayless do that?

I'd like to think we have the talent to win it. But unless our attitude and style of play changes (why are we giving so many hit-ups to our second rowers from the kick-offs? FAir dinkum they're great, but that is the Props' jobs! And why are our wingers and centres trying to run it out of our 20?), we won't witness the greatness we did 2 years ago again.

I am not saying it's time for our coach to go. What I am saying is change. Change whatever it is you tell the boys before a match. Change however it is you coach them. Change your recruitng techniques.

And another thing, could you quit this "rebuilding phase" crap. The job of the coach and players is to win Premierships. AS MANY AS POSSIBLE. Instead of "rebuilding", you should be winning Grand Finals. Bite the bullet and do what you have to to get us there and win it. Otherwise, the Premiership will be dominated by the Roosters, Broncos, Warriors, PAnthers, RAiders and other top 8 teams that does NOT include Parramatta.

I don't know about you guys, but I for one want to see Parramatta win a Premiership in my lifetime.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Penrith showed spirit to win yesterday..............that is somthing that the silvertails could not buy.

With all the money they had thrown at the club, they could not buy a premiership.

For Parra to show that sort of spirit.....the motivation is going to have to come from the senior players, or captain Caylo.

I can't see it coming from the coach.

Eelectrica

Referee
Eelementary said:
'Cos it ain't gonna happen at Parra. Not for a while.

1.) You don't need extraordinary players to beat the Top Teams. No offense to Penno, but they don't have any HUGE names in their side. But they convincingly won. It's a matter of standing up to your opponents, and giving it a go for 80 minutes. It's also an attitude issue. We here at Parra do NOT have that attitude.

We became a finesse team that couldn't handle the tough stuff. I believe Smith is going to try and get the team tough again. Whether he gets there or not remains to be seen.

Eelementary said:
2.) The opening 30 minutes was the most intense football I have ever witnessed. It is that sort of form required to win Premierships, and we do not have that. Watching Lang catch the ball and throw himslef tirelessly at the Roosters defence made me think - would Vella do that? Would even Cayless do that?

Penrith couldn't handle that intensity the first time they saw it in round 20 but learnt real quick what it takes.
Hindy and Cayless play at that level every week. Vella can do it be for whatever reason lacks consistency. If Vella can get some consistent performances - Hopefully not consistently bad he'll be back in the rep teams.

Eelementary said:
I'd like to think we have the talent to win it. But unless our attitude and style of play changes (why are we giving so many hit-ups to our second rowers from the kick-offs? FAir dinkum they're great, but that is the Props' jobs! And why are our wingers and centres trying to run it out of our 20?), we won't witness the greatness we did 2 years ago again.
I that's what Smith is going to attempt to do in the offseason. Change the style of play. Get the props doing more hard work and increase their intensity.

Eelementary said:
I am not saying it's time for our coach to go. What I am saying is change. Change whatever it is you tell the boys before a match. Change however it is you coach them. Change your recruitng techniques.
That's what he's doing. He's probably got one more shot as another season of finishing in the wrong half of the table will more than likely see us with a new coach in 2005.

Eelementary said:
I don't know about you guys, but I for one want to see Parramatta win a Premiership in my lifetime.
Yeah, so would I. Technically it has but I didn't really follow football much back then.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
I that's what Smith is going to attempt to do in the offseason. Change the style of play. Get the props doing more hard work and increase their intensity.

Ahhhhh, shouldn't they be doing that already???
Being told to do more hard work and increase their intensity??

If Smith hasn't been doing that, what in the hell has he been telling them??

If he actually needs to tell them that next season, wouldn't you think that he hasn't been doing his job properly this year?

I would.

Suity

Trader

Juniors
Agree with you Suity,since Pay and co. left us we have lacked a feared forward or 2.

Besides Hindi we lack a lot of aggression in the forwards.Lyon,Peterson and Vaeliki are more aggressive than the forwards we have.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Do you really need me to tell you that I agree?

Dunno who saw the shot of the Panthers during the Presidents Cup match. They looked as relaxed and playful as kids on a school excursion. It was wonderful. Next time you see Jamie Lyon at the national Anthem in a big game, look at him in comparison.

John Lang has had his ups and downs. However, I can't recall a young forward under him not going hard for the full 80 mins. Compare that to Mick Vella or Daniel Wagon!

Brian Smith is light years behind the premiership standard coaches. Even Ricky Stuart must be applauded. All of a sudden the chooks are not a transit lounge. They are a strong and close knit club, and very sucessful (6 players touring this month).

And how is Parra travelling under you, Smithy? We've had more exits than Westfields!

Chipmunk

Coach
Twizzle said:
Penrith showed spirit to win yesterday..............that is somthing that the silvertails could not buy.

With all the money they had thrown at the club, they could not buy a premiership.

For Parra to show that sort of spirit.....the motivation is going to have to come from the senior players, or captain Caylo.

I can't see it coming from the coach.

It all starts and comes from the Coach. He is the head of the Football Operations of the Club and the buck stops with him. Parramatta will never show the passion whilst the current leader remains at the Club

Chipmunk

Coach
Trader said:
Agree with you Suity,since Pay and co. left us we have lacked a feared forward or 2.

Besides Hindi we lack a lot of aggression in the forwards.Lyon,Peterson and Vaeliki are more aggressive than the forwards we have.

That is a fair call Trader. Very Very Sad, but a fair call. Ironically I think I would have kept Tonga and played him left Centre and moved Vaeliki to lock to get him more involved!

Chipmunk

Coach
Suitman said:
Eelectrica said:

Ahhhhh, shouldn't they be doing that already???
Being told to do more hard work and increase their intensity??

If Smith hasn't been doing that, what in the hell has he been telling them??

If he actually needs to tell them that next season, wouldn't you think that he hasn't been doing his job properly this year?

I would.

Suity

I will tell u what he has been telling them all year. This would be the weekly immortal words of Supercoach Smith

1. Dont play the ball fast, it will make the game too fast for out opposition to whip our butts.
2. Wags is our most dangerous attacking player, he has got all the moves. I want all you guys running off him, he will put you through holes all day.
3. Lets be as flashy as possible. Chip kicking 10 metres out from our own try line is a great option.
4. Geez, how good is that Wags, he is just terrific all over the park. Caylo will be injured soon and Wags will make a great Captain, he has got Class written all over him!
5. The next forward that goes forward in attack I am dragging straight off, if you arent going to run across field to find that gap then you arent going to play in my team.
6. I love you Wags, you are my hero!!!
7. I am sick of our team overusing our centres Jamie Lyon and David Vaeliki. We dont want two international players in the centres getting the ball too much. They might just be able to do something.
8. It's OK guys, we will be winning comps when Dykes is back. When Dykes fires he is the best in the game. I would swap Freddie and Laurie Daley in his hey day for Dykesy anyway. He is just great. I just wish he was half the fooballer that Wags is!!

Oh yeah, I just cant wait for 2004 with this clown!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Look guys.

Don't get me wrong - I love the team ands I respect Smith. I think his must be one of the toughest jobs in the world.

My only problem is we seem to be getting nowhere. I mean, sure - it appears as though Hindy, Caylo and Hopps play at that intensity. But I must say I disagree.

Watching Galuvao and Puletua and Hindy and Lee, no offense, but their is a huge difference. Also, LAng and CLinton are fearless - Caylo attacks with passion, but not to that degree.

What I am saying is this: we do have intensity, but not nearly enough at present to win a Premiership. I just don't see ANY of our players putting on hits like Clinton or Morley, and that is EXACTLY what we need.

half

Coach
i'm going to have to disagree. hindy is the best second rower in the freakin' world

if all our players were as good as him, we would never lose

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree. Nathan Hindmarsh is the best, and I love the guy.

What I mean is he plays a very different game to Galuvao and Puletua and Morley. I don't think Hindy is as aggressive as he could be - sure, he is DEVASTATING, but not aggressive.

We need players like Jylie Leuluai in defence and Villasanti and Clinton in attack.

And currently, we just don't have that.

Look, my problem is mainly with Vella, WAgs and others. I think Morris, CAylo, Hindy and Lee are doing fine (they can only improve). But our collective pack needs to get more fire.

Eelectrica

Referee
Penrith didn't have that kind of intensity all season either. Smashed by Melbourne in week 2. Blew a huge lead in round 4 against the Raiders. They found it when they needed it though.
At one point Morley was almost dropped from the Roosters top grade Sqad but had a huge game against Newcastle I think it was and didn't look back.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think you need an enforcer type of player in the forwards. The more aggressive and 'mongrel' the better. Most of the top teams seem to have them. I talk of the likes of Morley, Clinton, Webcke, Villasanti, etc

Phillips

Referee
i think we should've kept kylie leuluai he was a hard tackler and that is something that vella is not good at, i would like to see vella on the bench next year until his form improves

ParraMatt

Bench
Phillips said:
i think we should've kept kylie leuluai he was a hard tackler and that is something that vella is not good at, i would like to see vella on the bench next year until his form improves

What team did Kyle go to?

Pazza

First Grade
I think that we are all pretty certain that a forward pack like this wont win a premiership:

8.Cayless
9.Morris
10.Vella
11.Hindmarsh
12.Hopkins
13.Wagon

Cayless, Morris and Hindmarsh are definate starters for next season. I feel that Vella and Hopkins would do far better off the bench. they are both Fast forwards and would fair better when the game is open after 20 mins.

I would like to see:

8.Cayless
9.Morris
10.Cannings
11.Hindmarsh
12.Armit
13.Wagon

Both Armit and Cannings are more suited to the opening exchanges then Vella and Hopkins. Hopkins could do a good job in the opening 20 but i feel he would provide the impact off the bench now that we are missing Solomona. Bench; Vella, Pearson and Hopkins.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hindy is the best Second rower in the world......Smithy has got to go.....JT to be the coach IMO.

The Colonel

Immortal
I would rather see a pack consisting of

8.Cayless
9.Morris
10.Cannings
11.Muckert
12.Armit
13.Hindmarsh

You have size, an agressor in Muckert and metre monsters like Cannings and Armit and passion in Cayless. And then you have Hindy.