What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whos in the 2019 15 man ashes squad? OFFICIAL SQUAD Announced 26/7

TheParraboy

Staff member
We are currently into our last test before the ashes test series in august
plus a bunch of Shield matches

Any smokies? I reckon they will take Stoinis

Maybe one of Khawaja/Labus/Patterson is swapped for a proper backup keeper?

Warner (JL may pick Bancroft pending Shied form, and backup keeper)
Harris
Burns
Smith
Head
Patterson
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Paine
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Richardson
Lyon
Stoinis/MMarsh (we will bring an allrounder)

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cri...hes-axe-says-tubby/ar-BBT1IeT?ocid=spartanntp

Khawaja facing Ashes axe says Tubby

Former captain Mark Taylor says Usman Khawaja looks like a batsman “who’s not sure of himself” as pressure mounts on the Australian number three.

Khawaja was dismissed for a third ball duck on the opening morning of the second Test against Sri Lanka in Canberra, continuing a dismal summer that has yielded just 209 runs at an average of 23.

His innings of 72 against India in Perth is the only time he’s passed 35 in 10 innings.

His dismissal at Manuka Oval did nothing to dispel doubts about his long-term future, waving the bat at a ball outside off stump with minimal footwork, succeeding only in edging to slip.

With the match against Sri Lanka the last time the Australian Test team takes the field prior to the Ashes series in England later this year, it’s far from guaranteed Khawaja will be on the plane bound for Heathrow this winter.

With David Warner and Steve Smith likely to return from injury and suspension at the top of the order and number four respectively, it leaves Khawaja potentially fighting with Joe Burns and Marcus Harris for just two spots in the side.

“There’s no doubt there’s growing pressure on Usman Khawaja, and he’s no certainty for the Ashes,” Taylor told Wide World of Sports.

“Burns has booked himself a spot for England with his hundred in Canberra. There’s still plenty to play for, and Khawaja’s shot this morning isn’t going to help him.”

Burns played a fighting innings as those around him fell on an overcast morning in Canberra, making the first century by an Australian batsman this summer, while Harris has been consistent in his first season in the national side without making the big score he needs to secure his position.

Regardless, both have shown more than Khawaja in recent times, and their inclusion for England may mean the 32-year-old is squeezed out.

“The good thing is, I don’t think the cupboard is bare. But on the flip side, there’s not many who are certain of their spots at this time. That’s an issue,” Taylor said.

Khawaja’s position has also been questioned by Shane Warne, with the leg-spinning legend writing in the Herald-Sun the left-hander should have been dropped for the Test in Canberra “because he needs a kick up the backside.”

Taylor disagreed with Warne’s assessment but suggested Khawaja’s failure to step up in the absence of Smith and Warner had been one of the most disappointing aspects of the summer.

“Warney is probably harsher than me, I was happy for him to play in Canberra,” Taylor said.

“But now there’s massive pressure on him. Anyone can get a duck, but that shot today looked like a guy who’s not sure of himself. It was an in-between shot. For a guy who bats number three and is a senior player in the team, it wasn’t the sort of shot you want to see.

“I’m not sure he’s taken himself to the next level of becoming a senior player.”

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
hate to say it but I wouldn't pick Oozie, not what he used to be

and no doubt the statisticians, who refer to themselves as selectors will have locked in Burns for his bullying of the grade cricket attack he faced yesterday and they'll quickly forget his failures in the first test, the problem is we are running out of options

same will go for Labs and his 80 in the first test despite his failure yesterday, same with Harris

there is talk of the probables/possibles being picked in the Aust A tour prior to the Ashes to finalise our starting 11, problem is the squad will already be picked by then but players like Pocovski should get a run in those games to show what he can do

typicalfan

Coach
Problem with Pucovski is if he is struggling just being in the squad in Canberra, it would seem like he might not be ready to tour to England.

I’m not sure of Burns at all but he probably is in a strong position for a spot based on his hundred only because the batting has been so weak.

simmo1

First Grade
We are currently into our last test before the ashes test series in august
plus a bunch of Shield matches

Any smokies? I reckon they will take Stoinis

Maybe one of Khawaja/Labus/Patterson is swapped for a proper backup keeper?

Warner (JL may pick Bancroft pending Shied form, and backup keeper)
Harris
Burns
Smith
Head
Patterson
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Paine
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Richardson
Lyon
Stoinis/MMarsh (we will bring an allrounder)

I think this is pretty close. If Wade continues his form into the Shield he will go as backup keeper.

Pucovski obviously has the talent but I doubt the selectors risk it. He just doesn't seem ready for an Ashes tour.

Eelectrica

Referee
Khawaja is unselectable at the moment. Whatever issues he's having he needs to sort them, make runs in the shield and come back a better player.
Picking him for the ashes doesn't do any one any favours at the moment.

If Wade can keep scoring runs in the shield he's got to be there. Damn it's strange saying that, but there it is.

I'd love to say Pucovski, but he's got to get what's going on in his head sorted. JL yacking at anyone for 5 hours is enough to drive anyone nuts.

Warner
Harris
Burns
Smith
Head
Patterson
Renshaw (Please have a massive second half of the shield season)

Paine
Wade

Cummins
Hazlewood
Richardson
Starc
Lyon
Stoinis I guess. Gotta be someone else though.

Second half of the shield season is played with the Dukes ball I believe so maybe another bowler can put their hand up and make a strong claim and kick Stoinis from the squad.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Burns
Warner
Smith
Head
Patterson
Head
Labuschagne

Paine
Wade

Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Richardson
Siddle
Lyon

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd still consider taking Khawaja, but he wouldn't be in my first test 11 at this stage. Or I'd get him in a county side if possible.

The guy is a class player and he's not going to find any form sitting at home watching footy for the winter.

I also still wouldn't be picking Warner. The bloke is cancer, and I can't agree with him being an automatic reselection...If they do pick him though, I'd have Burns at 3 myself.

Squad is a tough shout at the moment. Head and Burns are a lock, Smith is almost certain too. I also think you have to take Renshaw. He's been in rubbish form, but he's also probably our most successful current bat in English conditions apart from Smith.

I don't think you need an all-rounder in England, personally. Backup keeper is interesting too. I'd probably make a wild call and take Handscomb, even though he's not a first choice keeper, because there's not a lot of guys who are good enough with the bat yet. And Wade isn't good enough with the gloves...Handsome Pete also gives us an extra backup batsman, although his form has been iffy and there are questions over his ability in those conditions I guess.

Can you pick more than 15? I feel like they might take a couple extra guys over. But sticking to fifteen for the thread...

Burns
Head
Smith
Renshaw
Patterson
Harris
Khawaja*
Paine
Handscomb or Carey (next best keeper even if he's an ordinary bat)
Lyon
Starc
Haze
Cummins
Richardson
Tremain

I dunno. I'll probably pick something else if you ask me again in a day

Timbo

Staff member
I'd still consider taking Khawaja, but he wouldn't be in my first test 11 at this stage. Or I'd get him in a county side if possible.

The guy is a class player and he's not going to find any form sitting at home watching footy for the winter.

I also still wouldn't be picking Warner. The bloke is cancer, and I can't agree with him being an automatic reselection...If they do pick him though, I'd have Burns at 3 myself.

Squad is a tough shout at the moment. Head and Burns are a lock, Smith is almost certain too. I also think you have to take Renshaw. He's been in rubbish form, but he's also probably our most successful current bat in English conditions apart from Smith.

I don't think you need an all-rounder in England, personally. Backup keeper is interesting too. I'd probably make a wild call and take Handscomb, even though he's not a first choice keeper, because there's not a lot of guys who are good enough with the bat yet. And Wade isn't good enough with the gloves...Handsome Pete also gives us an extra backup batsman, although his form has been iffy and there are questions over his ability in those conditions I guess.

Can you pick more than 15? I feel like they might take a couple extra guys over. But sticking to fifteen for the thread...

Burns
Head
Smith
Renshaw
Patterson
Harris
Khawaja*
Paine
Handscomb or Carey (next best keeper even if he's an ordinary bat)
Lyon
Starc
Haze
Cummins
Richardson
Tremain

I dunno. I'll probably pick something else if you ask me again in a day

I also want to be clear: I don’t want to pick Warner, I’ve just accepted that it’s a given.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We don’t have the depth to be snooty about Warner imo

Yeah he is a trackhead but he has also scored 24 percent of our test centuries since 2014. If someone stepped up with Warner out I’d accept him being dropped on character grounds but we have been terrible with the bat only looking decent on a road against a Sri Lankan side with like 15 caps between them.

Bazal

Post Whore
I also want to be clear: I don’t want to pick Warner, I’ve just accepted that it’s a given.

Yeah I've picked more what I would pick (although like I said, it'd probs change in a day or two) than what I think they will pick

Bazal

Post Whore
We don’t have the depth to be snooty about Warner imo

Yeah he is a trackhead but he has also scored 24 percent of our test centuries since 2014. If someone stepped up with Warner out I’d accept him being dropped on character grounds but we have been terrible with the bat only looking decent on a road against a Sri Lankan side with like 15 caps between them.

On the flipside, we're not winning the Ashes anyway, and he has never scored a hundred over there, so why not make the cultural change?

Anyway that's just my opinion. Probably best to let it go before we summon Warners butt plug

The tests against a vastly understrength Sri Lanka matches have skewed, and maybe inflated real form lines. Although you couldn’t deny Burns and Head based on their tons.

While I reckon they absolutely must take Matthew Wade I don’t think they’ll pick him. It’s apparent he’s on the nose.

Re “all-rounder”....

I’d have Moises Henriques ahead of anyone such as stoinis etc.

I’m actually surprised we’ll only take 15. Form and potential injuries (eg bowlers made of crystal)

TheParraboy

Staff member
Are the test players all available for 2nd round of Sheffield Shield?

They should be, unless some are picked to tour india for the 5 game ODI series (and 2 x t20)
which is on a week after the BBL final

TheParraboy

Staff member
Would anyone care if Starc not in the squad? Tubby on the money again?

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cri...-wickets-at-manuka/ar-BBSZCGk?ocid=spartanntp

Australia's Big Three fast bowlers is on the verge of becoming a Big Two. Mitchell Starc's membership is in danger of being revoked.

This has not been a great summer for the big quick which is why it's so important he gets something out of the final Test of the season.

Starcy's numbers - 15 wickets at 36 - are not awful but they do not show how inconsistent he has been. His pace is still up but control is an ongoing issue. There were spells in Brisbane where he bowled on both sides of the pitch, just as he did at a crucial stage in Adelaide.

I no longer have him as a certainty for the Ashes, but as a probable. My issue with him in England is his inability to maintain pressure. He took a bag of six and five in 2015 but he leaked four to five runs an over in those innings and Australia lost comfortably. His higher run rate places extra pressure on the other two quicks to keep it tight.

His advantage is that as a left-armer he gives the attack a point of difference but some of Australia's express-pace quicks of the past, like Jeff Thomson, Brett Lee and Jason Gillespie, had higher averages in England compared to the rest of their career.

Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, if fit, will go. It's hard to leave out Jhye Richardson, who can bowl fast outswing.

I have Starcy in a battle with Peter Siddle, Dan Worrall, Chadd Sayers, Chris Tremain and Trent Copeland for the two remaining fast-bowling berths.

There's a spot for Starc because he can be a match-winner but it's time he became one again. The last spot should go to the bowler who can swing the ball the most.

Like Starc, Usman Khawaja needs to end the season on a high. It's hard to think he could finish the summer with doubts over his position.

I still have faith in Usman but I am concerned for him if selectors are worried about having three left-handers in the top three.

The return of Steve Smith will be a big boost to a middle order that is starting to take shape.

But I'm not convinced about Travis Head, particularly against pace. His footwork to the quicks is questionable but what I do like is his willingness to take the attack to the bowlers.

Short format here to stay
As a member of the Cricket Australia board which introduced the Big Bash League, it may surprise a few that Twenty20 is not my favoured format.

Tests and one-day internationals are more in keeping with the game I remember but then again I am 54 - hardly the target audience for CA.

I do not dislike the shortest form but my consumption of the BBL this season has been reduced to highlights here and there. I rarely watch a full match.

It's a snack-sized version of the game that is the perfect vehicle to attract newcomers to the game. My friends tell me their kids cannot get enough of the BBL.

I see the BBL as cricket's version of the home run derby. Some say it's flimsy, lacks substance and have bemoaned the quality but others love the entertainment.

Unlike the major football codes, cricket has been a top-down game in the sense that fans have traditionally been drawn in by the Australian team and will not have allegiances to the eight clubs. The kids of today, however, can come in via their BBL team just as rugby league or AFL fans fall in love with the sport through their club.

The BBL has been an undoubted success in its ability to put bums on seats, draw big TV ratings and put money back into the game. It's here to stay.

Mark Taylor played 104 Tests for Australia, 50 of them as captain, and is a former Cricket Australia board member.

Bazal

Post Whore
More entertaining question.

Which one of Head, Patterson and Burns will miss out because "we feel that Labuschagne offers options with the ball" or "we thought we needed an all rounder for conditions where three good quicks can take 17 wickets" ? ?

Eelectrica

Referee
More entertaining question.

Which one of Head, Patterson and Burns will miss out because "we feel that Labuschagne offers options with the ball" or "we thought we needed an all rounder for conditions where three good quicks can take 17 wickets" ? ?
Burns seems to be the answer, because in the selectors minds dropping Burns is the answer to everything.
Also Head can bowl his little... well whatever it is that Head bowls on occasion.

Latest posts