What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whos in the 2019 15 man ashes squad? OFFICIAL SQUAD Announced 26/7

So who is better than Starc, keeping in mind he now has 200 wickets to his name and has done so in all sorts of conditions?

Worrall? Tremain? You're seriously going to pick one of these over Starc?

Richardson? Promising but you can already see that his lack of height is going to be an issue at test level as he's not quick or skillful enough to really worry top batsmen.

Starc had issues with his accuracy which can be fixed.

In the right conditions some of those names can be better than Starc, yes. (Joe Mennie would be my choice)

Look at Starc’s record at Edgbaston, 5 wickets in two tests. I guarantee you it’ll be the same story again.

Also Richardson is quick comparatively to other bowlers around the world. He can bowl 140+.

I think you’ve got this classic Aussie mindset that pace is everything. Our best seam bowler of the last 30 years wasn’t particularly quick, accuracy has its place.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
In the right conditions some of those names can be better than Starc, yes. (Joe Mennie would be my choice)

Look at Starc’s record at Edgbaston, 5 wickets in two tests. I guarantee you it’ll be the same story again.

Also Richardson is quick comparatively to other bowlers around the world. He can bowl 140+.

I think you’ve got this classic Aussie mindset that pace is everything. Our best seam bowler of the last 30 years wasn’t particularly quick, accuracy has its place.
I don't have any mindset. You've missed the point with Richardson - the gun says he's 140 but he's a skidding bowler because of his height. 140k skidding bowlers without the ability to move the ball significantly are not going to threaten top draw batsmen.

Mennie a better option than Starc?

We'll leave it there because it's just getting silly now.

I don't have any mindset. You've missed the point with Richardson - the gun says he's 140 but he's a skidding bowler because of his height. 140k skidding bowlers without the ability to move the ball significantly are not going to threaten top draw batsmen.

Mennie a better option than Starc?

We'll leave it there because it's just getting silly now.

You’re totally ignoring Starc’s record at Edgbaston. Also other inaccurate bowlers records in England.

Mennie would only be a better option than Starc at a few select grounds, 95% of the time Starc is a better option by a country mile.

simmo1

First Grade
Steyn and Marshall were pretty handy short, skiddy bowlers. Likewise there's been several tall, quick Windies bowlers be successful in England.

Not against going with Richardson over Starc if the conditions suit. But the likes of Mennie or Siddle are a class below.

Timbo

Staff member
My pick in English conditions would be Sayers personally.

Pace and bounce are not everything and do not win you games in England. Just like how their swing bowlers struggle here.

Steyn and Marshall were pretty handy short, skiddy bowlers. Likewise there's been several tall, quick Windies bowlers be successful in England.

Not against going with Richardson over Starc if the conditions suit. But the likes of Mennie or Siddle are a class below.

Pace isn’t the real problem at certain English grounds, it’s inaccurate bowling. If you can bowl quick in a consistent spot then that’s gold.

I just doubt Starc is capable of bowling the accurate overs needed for some of the grounds.

simmo1

First Grade
Pace isn’t the real problem at certain English grounds, it’s inaccurate bowling. If you can bowl quick in a consistent spot then that’s gold.

I just doubt Starc is capable of bowling the accurate overs needed for some of the grounds.

All depends which Starc shows up, I guess. If he gets it right he's a threat on any ground which is a big if considering his form the past 12 months.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You’re totally ignoring Starc’s record at Edgbaston. Also other inaccurate bowlers records in England.

Mennie would only be a better option than Starc at a few select grounds, 95% of the time Starc is a better option by a country mile.
Yes I am ignoring it because its irrelevant. 2 tests or whatever it is over 2 tours isn't a big enough capture to drop him for Joe Mennie.

What's Mennie's test record at Edgbaston?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That’s alright. I’m sure Davey will score those big 2nd innings runs when we are 300 behind on the first innings and it will be all sweet
Lol still reaching and twisting.

Where did the bad man Warner touch you???

I was hoping we never had to go back to Warner but the total shitness of the other batsman on offer means he unfortunately just has to come back. It’s as simple as that.

Last edited:
Looks decent enough in England, Lord's aside which is where you said you'd play him. Edgbaston not great, but hardly alarm bells either.

Tbh I thought he’d played at Edgbaston twice, he’s only played once. But other stats from the ground show fast, inaccurate bowlers don’t do so well there.

My main point of that post was there’s clearly wickets he doesn’t do well on. No harm in identifying that & playing others if they’re more suited, Cricket is behind the eight ball on analytics.

Last edited:
Yes I am ignoring it because its irrelevant. 2 tests or whatever it is over 2 tours isn't a big enough capture to drop him for Joe Mennie.

What's Mennie's test record at Edgbaston?

Then look at overall records at Edgbaston, accurate/seam bowlers do the best. Lee & Johnson both struggled on the northern wickets too.

It’s not a coincidence they’re starting the tour up there, it’s exactly like us starting at the GABBA. They know we don’t do well on the seaming wickets.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Then look at overall records at Edgbaston, accurate/seam bowlers do the best. Lee & Johnson both struggled on the northern wickets too.

It’s not a coincidence they’re starting the tour up there, it’s exactly like us starting at the GABBA. They know we don’t do well on the seaming wickets.
Lol, Northern and Southern grounds. Its about 200ks from London to Birmingham. It's not like your traversing continents.

Alright let's play Mr Accurate Mennie on the northern grounds instead of Starc who gets dropped because of one performance in a well beaten side 4 years ago.

This might surprise you, but inaccurate bowlers don't do well anywhere.

simmo1

First Grade
Tbh I thought he’d played at Edgbaston twice, he’s only played once. But other stats from the ground show fast, inaccurate bowlers don’t do so well there.

My main point of that post was there’s clearly wickets he doesn’t do well on. No harm in identifying that & playing others if they’re more suited, Cricket is behind the eight ball on analytics.

It's a reasonable point and I'm not against a horses for courses approach. However Mennie, Sayers and Siddle do not pass the eye test at test level, and I couldn't pick any of them to play over someone with Starc's record.

Bird or Richardson, perhaps, but it would be a brave call imo.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Starc will be there first test - no question as will Haze and Cummins IF ALL ARE FIT

Just hope and prayer Starc doesnt screw up the new ball like he did time and time again in our summer

Should be a cracker of a series. I reckon Smith is gonna be epic

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Starc will be there first test - no question as will Haze and Cummins IF ALL ARE FIT

Just hope and prayer Starc doesnt screw up the new ball like he did time and time again in our summer

Should be a cracker of a series. I reckon Smith is gonna be epic
Bingo. The issue with Starc this summer was that he was automatically getting the new pill and spraying it around when Cummins was killing it and not getting a look in.

Eelectrica

Referee
I think the point remains though that we need someone out side of Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins. Richardson has put his hand up, still need more depth than that. And I don't mean Stoinis and MMarsh or even Lab.

The second half of the shield season they're playing with the Dukes ball so gotta think the best performer outside the current squad gets a ticket to England.

Latest posts