What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's the biggest salesman in the game?

firechild

First Grade
Watmough is not necessarily a grub, (on the field)... he's just a complete goose that feels the need to help the ref in his decision making.

Even someone of Watmough's intellect can work out the refs need a little assistance.

firechild

First Grade
Matai. Always sells injuries that are non extistent. Actually he is just a hypercondriac..

Two possibilities here; either you're a fool or the team of surgeons that operate on Matai each off season are fools. I'm going to have a stab here and say it's probably the former.

thorson1987

Coach
Two possibilities here; either you're a fool or the team of surgeons that operate on Matai each off season are fools. I'm going to have a stab here and say it's probably the former.

Oh noes, someone said something about a Manly player.

StormHi

Juniors
Jono thurston poor bugger rarely gets a trick from the refs though poor bastard is on their most hated list IMO lol

I used to love watching Laurie Dailey telling the refs how to judicate I even remember in one game he grabbed the ball from the ref told the ref the ruling then promptly took the tap even tho the ref had ruled in favor for the other team play wasn't stopped and the ref just went with it haha.

Sticky was a bit like that as well.

Last edited:

no name

Coach
Jono thurston poor bugger rarely gets a trick from the refs though poor bastard is on their most hated list IMO lol

I used to love watching Laurie Dailey telling the refs how to judicate I even remember in one game he grabbed the ball from the ref told the ref the ruling then promptly took the tap even tho the ref had ruled in favor for the other team play wasn't stopped and the ref just went with it haha.

Sticky was a bit like that as well.

Yeah, sure that happened.

StormHi

Juniors
Yeah, sure that happened.

Shrug don't really give a shit if you believe or not but it most certainly did. Ref blew he whistle and made he call. Dailey blew up grabbed the ball tapped and the ref just stood there and let play continue.

Was awesome.

Weird stuff happens in this game al the time. Been a fan since the tits came around huh? ;-)

LESStar58

Referee
Ennis by a mile especially after the way he was in the refs' ears in the GF and week one of the finals last year. Whining maggot.

Sleep

Juniors
Ennis. Rarely is he at dummy half without his hands in the air whinging for a penalty and he's been sooking like crazy whenever a penalty is given against the Dogs this year.

no name

Coach
Shrug don't really give a shit if you believe or not but it most certainly did. Ref blew he whistle and made he call. Dailey blew up grabbed the ball tapped and the ref just stood there and let play continue.

Was awesome.

Weird stuff happens in this game al the time. Been a fan since the tits came around huh? ;-)

There is no way in hell DALEY over ruled the ref.
And no, I've been involved in the game for longer than when the Titans came in.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Hayne is always good at dropping to the ground like he got shot if there is a hint of a high tackle.

Bird also seems to have almighty whinges mid-tackle as well.

It's quite funny to watch.

no name

Coach
Hayne is always good at dropping to the ground like he got shot if there is a hint of a high tackle.

Bird also seems to have almighty whinges mid-tackle as well.

It's quite funny to watch.

Yeah Bird does it quite a lot. As a Titans fan I would rather he just play to the whistle, he's a good enough player, without needing to milk penalties.

firechild

First Grade
Hard to find a captain that doesn't look like a sook but Ennis and Smith seem worse than others. Gidley also has quite a reputation.

hardbaby

Coach
Cam Smith is an absolute master. Always gets what he wants and does it without pissing off the refs. Genius bullshit artist. Impossible to penalise. The perfect captain.

Jamie Lyon is up there, he spends close to half the game with his hands above his head.

Yes Lyon is my No.1 but man he's great at it, he always keeps the refs on their toes

No.2 Michael Ennis is a pest and is always on the refs toes. However Lyon sells it better as he sugar coats Refs by saying thank you sir to gain respect and then hammers them with pressure about certain calls, Ennis just nags and has no respect for the refs

No.3 Jarryd Hayne - I remember when he dived on a game against our Warriors and the marker jsut pulled him up by the scruff and said play the ball sonny :lol:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Darius Boyd does it just about every play the ball. Infuriates me when Newcastle are on the attack and he takes forever to stand up and play it- completely knocks the wind out of the sails. I could understand if he was regularly awarded penalties, but it rarely seems to happen.

Yeah that sh!ts me too mate. It hinders our go forward and for no reason as the penalties don't ever come.

eozsmiles

Bench
All of them are salesmen or scammers and the ones that are a bit savvy are good at it. And it comes about through the overall attitude towards officialdom in our game. They are trained to do it. You can't get in trouble for influencing the refs or even intimidating them. In most cases the punishment for cheating is just a penalty.

First of all the players are a virtual protected species in their dealings with the refs. If Cam Smith tells the ref to f**k off then he'll get 10 metres for back chat. The ref tells Smith to f**k off and he'll get stood down. So the players are already encouraged to be little prima donna's and argue the toss.

The captains know that the refs are miked and they can therefore put pressure on them. The ref has to pretty much cop it. What would you do at work if someone like JT came running up to you waving his arms and swearing? I'd tell him to shut the f**k up and start behaving like an adult if he wants to discuss a problem with me. Ref's can't do that, they'll get hammered for not showing respect. The player will be said to have shown a bit too much passion in a close contest.

So what do we get?

Every player will flop at least once a game when they are playing the ball in the hope of getting a penalty. Some do it all the time. Some players do it at the right time ie when they know they will get it. Others just look like they are milking. If they don't get the penalty they will shake their heads and swear because they have been taught that milking penalties and influencing the ref is a normal part of the game.

Every dummy half knows to put their hands in the air and complain about play-the-ball speed.

Every captain questions nearly every call. They know what the penalty is for and they know they can't get it changed. They just want to stop the game and make a scene to intimidate the ref.

Players try to cheat and they lie. They claim tries they know they didn't get. They strip the ball in tackles then claim they didn't.

The list goes on. We have already seen what the savvy players are doing with the obstruction rule. Don't try to make a tackle, just get run over by a decoy. It's against the spirit of the game. So was the Storm try from the scrum the other night. It was a set move based on illegal play. This is the level of respect the players show the game.

They are more than salesmen, they are running a scam.