What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's Your team???

dimitri

First Grade
Like alot of people i don't like the Lions. It's mainly to do with all the bandwagon jumpers that started following them once they won a flag. They are so annoying! So is Akermanis.

thats how a lot of sydney siders feel about the swans

although they still havent won

:lol:

stevo

Juniors
I know a lot of people jumped ship to AFL during the super league crap. Both the Lions and Swans attendances went up during that period.

I heard micheal gardener will be back for west coast this week. Yay, i like him. He's a great player.

dimitri said:

hahaha

the storm have never gotten crowds like that in melbourne

no matter how bad the weather
no matter what bullshit the vic press spin up
no matter what AFL game has been played next door

That's the stupidest thing that has ever been posted on this forum.

The Swans has turned a profit every year since 1996 except one (2002) - plus this year for all the panic they made st the start of the year, their dramatically improving gate receipts has put them back very close to the black line this year as well.

Since 1996 there hasn't been a single year when the Swans' average crowd has slipped below 20k, and they've had a few very ordinary seasons.

The Storm on the other hand, get worse by the year. They are losing large amounts of money and quesitons are being asked. They are averaging about 8k at home, and not getting any better.

In all fairness they are about where the Swans were in 1993. If not slightly worse - at least AFL never shrank in Sydney, something that has happened noticeably to grassroots league in Melbourne over the last few years.

Anyway, back on task. I'm a Western Bulldogs supporter. It's easy when you grow up as a Souths fan to sympathise with the scraggers.

stevo

Juniors
The Dogs are one team i can not stand. They may have had the great E.J Whitten (i think that how you spell it, sorry if it's wrong) but Libba distroyed any chance of me liking the team. It also doesn't help when i follow the Eagles and our teams have a bit of a disliking to each other.

I must agree with you on the storm thing. The AFL still pulls good crowds not matter what the weather conditions. The storm, recently have had trouble getting a good crowd. It's a pity. It would be good to see Rugby League as national as the AFL.

The AFL understands how to market itself.

If the NRL wants to actually be national it has a lot of work to do, and the AFL's marketing and development plan is probably something they could copy -

The AFL spends $20 million annually on NSW and Queensland, with about 70 full-time development staff. The NRL has one guy in Melbourne.

And so, the number of people playing club AFL in NSW has risen to about 20,000 - compared with about 150 playing rugby league in the entire of Victoria. Plus the kiddies get loaded up with free stuff each week at Auskick clinics and told they're brilliant.

The AFL understands how to bend the networks over, demand or no demand. The NRL, unfortunately, is run by a media magnate. As opposed to the people who run the AFL, whose business relies on broadening the AFL's market and raw consumer base, News Ltd only cares about making money in. It's easier to make money showing AFL in the southern states than league - they don't make any money showing AFL in the northern states, but the AFL won't give them southern states rights without that stipulation.

stevo said:
They may have had the great E.J Whitten (i think that how you spell it, sorry if it's wrong) but Libba distroyed any chance of me liking the team. It also doesn't help when i follow the Eagles and our teams have a bit of a disliking to each other.

Teddy Whitten was every bit as bad as Libba, just that there's less footage. I can remember a couple of times seeing bits of channel 7 coverage from the 50s with EJ rubbing dirt into some guy's face in the behind the action...

stevo

Juniors
All i know about Whitten was that he was a great player, coach and was very passionate about his footy. He seemed like a nice bloke and the telly, whereas Libba still came across as a arrogant prick.

My Fav Dog was Dougie Hawkins. He was a legend, not quite sure how good he was at fooy but he was a top bloke, still is. I used to love watching the footy show when he was still on it.

EJ Whitten was a fantastic bloke - just you didn't cross him on the field. He wasn't dirty so much as hard, in the vein of blokes like Jack Dyer.

He definitely broke a few bones through the course of fifties and sixties VFL.

Doug Hawkins is a dumbarse, but he is a nice enough bloke as well. He was a phenomenal footballer when he was younger.

Dougie

Juniors
"See the bombers fly up, up, to win the premiership flag,
Our boys who play this grand old game,
Are always striving for glory and fame

See the bombers fly up, up
The other teams they dont fear
They all try their best,
But they cant get near, as the bombers fly up!"

Does that answer your question :D

CyberKev

Staff member

I'd wish happy reading to Biggy Flop & Natarsha, but I'm not entirely sure that they can and don't want to appear insensitive...

No wucks, I'm sure there'll be plenty of full colour red & white photos for the tragic twosome to peruse at their leisure :twisted:

CyberKev

dimitri

First Grade
No game this week, but a tonne of coverage for the Swans throughout the media for the next couple of weeks.

i will be turning those pages withot reading them

timmy!!!! said:
dimitri said:
No game this week, but a tonne of coverage for the Swans throughout the media for the next couple of weeks.

i will be turning those pages withot reading them

and yet you spend your spare time in an AFL board.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It just shows how parnoid you are about AFL potentially taking over league in Sydney.
IF YOU CAN'T BEAT 'EM (AFL) JOIN 'EM!!
...and..GO THE SWANS dimitri !!! :p

Latest posts