What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are farts socially unacceptable?

perverse

Referee
A common fart lingers in the air longer, and is generally more offensive to the nostrils, than a common burp. Granted, particularly stinky burps can claim to be both as lingerous and smelly as farts... but I've found it to be the exception, rather than the rule.

There's also the thought of getting particles that were in someones arsehole in your mouth and nose that is particularly unpleasing.

Lambretta

First Grade
Because fully digested food stinks more than partially digested food

That and burps held in feel like a heart attack - a fart held in aint too much

Danish

Referee
Since when are burps more socially acceptable? Can't say dropping either at our work would be too pleasant

JoeD

First Grade
I think you're referring to the 'farticle'.

My question is - if you drop one, does breathing in deeply clean the air if these farticles thus saving others from the full brunt of the stench?

perverse

Referee
In theory I would say some farticles would stay in your nose, lungs and the rest of your respiratory tract... so yes.

El Diablo

Post Whore
In theory I would say some farticles would stay in your nose, lungs and the rest of your respiratory tract... so yes.

what if you had a bleeding nose and the farter had aids?

is it possible to then contract aids from an infected farticle?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
It appears that humans in most cultures have been conditioned to think that farts stink and faeces are dirty. In a child's developmental years, a parent will mention that "so and so" stinks and carry that with them for the rest of their lives because it's considered the "social norm".

Do other members of the animal kingdom think the same way? Maybe not.

How many times have you seen a dog roll in the faeces of another animal? Or any animal eat the faeces of another species?

It looks like that some time in the past, a person in a position of power decided that farts were nasty and the subordinates just followed suit.

Nuke

Staff member
I forget who said it (Alyssa Milano I think?), but recently on tv (on The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson) the chick being interviewed said there were two kinds of people in the world: Those that find farts funny, and those that don't.

I am definitely in the former.
Funniest thing I've ever seen on YouTube is The Farting Preacher.
http://youtu.be/me2H7Ja93Wg

The guy's a religious nutjob, but the simple adding of fart noises ... geez it's funny.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It appears that humans in most cultures have been conditioned to think that farts stink and faeces are dirty. In a child's developmental years, a parent will mention that "so and so" stinks and carry that with them for the rest of their lives because it's considered the "social norm".

Do other members of the animal kingdom think the same way? Maybe not.

How many times have you seen a dog roll in the faeces of another animal? Or any animal eat the faeces of another species?

It looks like that some time in the past, a person in a position of power decided that farts were nasty and the subordinates just followed suit.
Deep.

But I suspect that farts are not cool if you're upwind and being stalked by a predator. Consider this a a free tip just in case you find yourself walking in a primeval forest.