What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are many Aussies so narrow minded ?

Green River Eel

Juniors
Why do most Aussies dislike soccer and call it gay?
Do you think its because of the constant bad sportsmanship and diving/acting?
Or do you think its because most Aussies arnt cultured enough?
I'm also sick of people calling Mediterranean_Descendant ball, as a person of lebanese decent i find that offensive.
When will bogan aussies grow up?

Cheers and go Crystal Palace

Last edited by a moderator:

saint.nick

Coach
It's a combination of both reasons you gave. Some are just bogans that are intolerant of culture that isn't purely Aussie, and soccer is a game that they associate with Europeans- 'w.o.g.s'

Then there are some Aussies- who are Mediterranean as well sometimes- that dislike soccer because of the amount of diving and play-acting that goes on, hence why they call it gay.

No idea. But I bet some of their future children will either play football or be fans of it. The game has grown so much in this country in the last 20 years.

I've said it many times, but in 94, if I saw someone in the street wearing a football jersey, I would be excited to see someone else wearing something football related, it was very rare, especially if it was something other than a Man U jersey. Now, football is everywhere.

I used to go along to Brisbane Strikers games with 4000 people, now Brisbane Roar are getting 15-20k every game. It's small steps, but it's grown massively and it's still going. As much as League/AFL fans dismiss Football as being nothing in Australia, they are seriously shitting themselves.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I love soccer/football, but let's be honest - some matches can put you to sleep.

I watched the Wanderers play to a nil-all draw at Pirtek against someone a few weeks ago and, even being a Wanderers fan, the match was insanely boring.

That, combined with the diving, and strikers carrying on like twats when they miss a scoring opportunity (I saw a striker take a shot, have the ball deflected by the keeper and - while the ball was still in play - the striker was down on his knees with his hands on his head bemoaning a missed opportunity) puts people off imo.

It's a wonderful sport that has grown immensely in Australia, which is brilliant for the code.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure Aussies haven't embraced it more so over the last 10 years, it's certainly more accepted now than it was 10 years ago.

COYS

Haffa

As much as League/AFL fans dismiss Football as being nothing in Australia, they are seriously shitting themselves.
I don't even think that the fans of either are shitting themselves. Most people I know support both and considering the clash is minimal its not that big a deal.

The AFL hierachy are always scared of football though.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Football will be the dominant code in Australia in 50 years time, quite possibly sooner.

I'm unbiased and not a deluded 'socca' fan, I follow all 4 football codes in Australia and can see where their strengths and weaknesses lie and am pretty confident where they are heading.

I'm Anglo in my mid 20s and played soccer and League as a kid but only really started to follow soccer around 06 with the Socceroos making the WC, since then they have made 2 more WC's the A-league has been spawned and is going from strength to strength. Most blokes I associate with who are around my age follow both the EPL and the A-league to some degree, some are Anglo and others come from ethnic backgrounds, most though follow at least one of the other football codes also.

I still follow League and always will but the sport has been around for over 100 years and hasn't grown one iota...It is still going strong in Sydney/QLD but for 100 years or so they never had any REAL competition in those areas. AFL has always been there but has never really had any support or potential there, vice-versa with the Rugby codes in Victoria/SA/WA...

One-eyed bogan league supporters will say oh but it's played in Victoria now and it's played by and growing in all the Pacific Island countries, but let's be honest the Storm have been there 15 years and not made a dent despite being arguably the most dominant team in the competition during that period (even if they were cheating). While most of the pacific island countries have no idea what 'League' is.

All these 'baby steps' football is taking are getting closer and closer together, little things that have happened over the last decade or so just keep growing the sleeping dragon. A little thing like getting Becks out here to play 2 games was massive, then getting teams like Man U/Liverpool/Juventus out here for preseason was almost unthinkable 10 years ago, now even more unbelievably we are actually hosting a international tournament which includes Real Madrid next year.

Kids growing up getting the opportunity to witness superstars of world sport in their own backyard is a massive boost- Inglis/Franklin/Folau will never compete with Cristiano Ronaldo.

Don't want to sound harsh but as the older old school 'Mediterranean_Descendant-ball' generation die out or become less relevant in the mainstream media that's when the real potential for it to become the dominant game in Australia. That older generation is the one that sees it as a 'soft' sport and tease it for diving etc and fair enough too, nothing shits me more than watching that crap but I don't think in Aus/Eng the diving will ever get to Asian/South American levels.

Football is the world game and it doesn't have a roof for growth, Australia is just playing catch up.

Lol just lol .

Get back to me when your sport moves back to winter to take on RL & AFL.

It has the start of its season to itself ,no competition ,& that's when fans like you talk it up ,,sleeping giant,RL is dying ,BLAH blah .
Then the cricket starts & AL gets absolutely smashed back into obscurity.

It's the same every yr ,
The same mantra chanted .
It's a yearly laugh watching it nosedive after the BBL starts .

Remember last yr ,when DG claimed that soccer was more popular than cricket..
Lol how did that go .
They went head to head on FTA.
Cricket outrated it 10 to 1.

strong_latte

Juniors
Why do most Aussies dislike soccer and call it gay?
Do you think its because of the constant bad sportsmanship and diving/acting?
Or do you think its because most Aussies arnt cultured enough?
I'm also sick of people calling w.o.g ball, as a person of lebanese decent i find that offensive.
When will bogan aussies grow up?

Cheers and go Crystal Palace

People call it gay because it's a soft sport for kids with over-protective mothers. Pretty simple really.

I personally can't stand the game for a few reasons, but aside from the on-field stuff which I reckon is about as exhilarating as watching paint dry and less masculine, I also find Aussie soccer fans utterly insufferable. They're the most sanctimonious self-satisfied wankers of any supporter group. They carry on like following a team owned by a billionaire kleptocrat from the other side of the planet that has zero connection to them some how makes them cultured, when in reality they're no different from those wannabe kids I went to school with in the 90s who trade NBA basketball cards and wore Chicago Bulls singlets everywhere. They're mostly just pretentious losers who weren't ever any good at Australian sports.

So no, not liking soccer has nothing to do with a lack of "culture" - in fact what we have in Australia is a genuine indigenous sports culture, whilst most Euro and South American countries are the sporting equivalent of countries where StarBucks is the only place you can get an espresso based coffee - i.e. they have nothing genuinely local and are merely franchise outposts for the "British game" of soccer.

Look at it this way, in Australia we have an almost entirely indigenous sport, and two codes of Rugby that have evolved to become markedly different to the british origins largely because of Australian and NZ intervention.

Soccer meanwhile has remained static and British, and its incarnations in other countries isn't representative of culture any more than having a Maccas "Aussie Burger" makes Maccas "cultured". What's worse, it's run by a cabal of astonishingly corrupt officials that operate like the mafia and have literally signed the death warrants of 4000 people to secure dodgy money funnelled through dark pools to their personal accounts. The lot of them are below scum and frankly should be brought before the ICJ.

To argue that soccer's international footprint equates to "culture" is akin to saying that non-English speaking countries AREN'T cultured because they insist on using a non global language. Basically it is symptomatic of a failure to grasp what culture actually is.

Last edited:

strong_latte

Juniors
To add to the above post, Australian soccer fans also tend to be ignorant as f**k and also incredibly arrogant in their demand to be called "football" above the other codes. Seriously, the amount of times I've had to educate some geniused EPL bandwagoner about where the word "football" actually comes from is just not funny. Mostly they're just people who think that liking soccer is some sort vaguely anti establishment thing or maybe even anti american (given they all think soccer is an American word for some stupid reason), and generally aren't particularly educated on sport.

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
I don't know how it is you can have a thread that effectively accuses Australians of being narrow minded for not liking soccer... that's like me accusing European countries like Spain and Germany of being narrow-minded for not having any other major football codes in spite of League and Union being close by in England.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Lol just lol .

Get back to me when your sport moves back to winter to take on RL & AFL.

It has the start of its season to itself ,no competition ,& that's when fans like you talk it up ,,sleeping giant,RL is dying ,BLAH blah .
Then the cricket starts & AL gets absolutely smashed back into obscurity.

It's the same every yr ,
The same mantra chanted .
It's a yearly laugh watching it nosedive after the BBL starts .

Remember last yr ,when DG claimed that soccer was more popular than cricket..
Lol how did that go .
They went head to head on FTA.
Cricket outrated it 10 to 1.

Brosef did you even read my comment lol? You my friend are one of the blasé League supporters I mentioned.

I would be more than happy to place a substantial bet with you that by the year 2064 Football will be the biggest code in the country.

Brosef did you even read my comment lol? You my friend are one of the blasé League supporters I mentioned.

I would be more than happy to place a substantial bet with you that by the year 2064 Football will be the biggest code in the country.

I'm sitting here in my Liverpool jersey watching my beloved Liverpool like I do every week and I'd take that bet for as much $$$ as you like. No chance of happening.

& you are one of the mindless sokka fans who continually talk up your sport in this country.

How's it going this yr ..started good ....no competition .
Cricket starts .bammmmm ..nosedive .

You my friend have been reading DT & Slothfield .

What you fail to understand is these facts .

While it is a long way off top class Sokka ,the AL will never surpass the other 2 big codes ,for the simple reason ,that people are not watching the best ,the elite ,as they go overseas for the big $$.
You also assume that people will flock to watch sokka(lol the yearly mantra chant) ,well here's some news .some people like physical sports ,the brutality ,the gladiatorial aspect .

Just as some see Rl as just that ,& don't like the brutality ,others do & find sokka as boring as watching grass grow .

You are one of the brainwashed masses ,who big note about how the future will be. Sokka sokka sokka .
& have the hide to criticise me about being one of Those RL supporters .

I accept that sokka is a long way ahead participation wise ..many parents start their kids out .
But it does not transfer into popularity as a mainstream sport ,competing for tv $$$$$.
As much as the sokka mob bleat ,sleeping giant....RL is dying ....we will take over ,there is no proof that this is happening or going to happen .

Just look at your tv ratings ..

But I'm sure in true cultist style you will tell me how it will happen ."..
So if you would like to compare ratings v RL,Cricket ,AFL. Please do .
That should be a good start as to where the sports sit in the popularity stakes .
Lol

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So TV ratings are all you have to go on because it may suit your argument ?

If you want to talk about Soccer you should probably learn how to spell it first.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
& you are one of the mindless sokka fans who continually talk up your sport in this country.

How's it going this yr ..started good ....no competition .
Cricket starts .bammmmm ..nosedive .

You my friend have been reading DT & Slothfield .

What you fail to understand is these facts .

While it is a long way off top class Sokka ,the AL will never surpass the other 2 big codes ,for the simple reason ,that people are not watching the best ,the elite ,as they go overseas for the big $$.
You also assume that people will flock to watch sokka(lol the yearly mantra chant) ,well here's some news .some people like physical sports ,the brutality ,the gladiatorial aspect .

Just as some see Rl as just that ,& don't like the brutality ,others do & find sokka as boring as watching grass grow .

You are one of the brainwashed masses ,who big note about how the future will be. Sokka sokka sokka .
& have the hide to criticise me about being one of Those RL supporters .

I accept that sokka is a long way ahead participation wise ..many parents start their kids out .
But it does not transfer into popularity as a mainstream sport ,competing for tv $$$$$.
As much as the sokka mob bleat ,sleeping giant....RL is dying ....we will take over ,there is no proof that this is happening or going to happen .

Just look at your tv ratings ..

But I'm sure in true cultist style you will tell me how it will happen ."..
So if you would like to compare ratings v RL,Cricket ,AFL. Please do .
That should be a good start as to where the sports sit in the popularity stakes .
Lol

You keep talking 'this year, this year' bro I'm looking at the stone cold facts of growth 50 years down the track. You also keep saying I'm only talking up sokka as 'my sport' dude I'm an Eels member, I attend at least 4-5 Waratah games a season and ditto the Swans.

When I go to the A-league I see a lot of young kids between the ages of 6-20 following their team, in 50 years time their children/grand children are the generation who I am looking at.

Has the NRL got any bigger/better in the last 20 years? Where can it potentially grow? The crowds are aging man, people are losing interest.

The AFL will offer stronger resistance but it also isn't a truly national game and will eventually become number 2.

Also I'm not solely speaking about the A-league becoming the biggest competition in Aus, I'm speaking of the sport itself, kids will be following international competitions as well. As Aussie players get better they will go overseas and will be supported. The Socceroos will become the most important national team in all codes.

You think I'm deluded and I'm sure the majority share you're view, hey even if I had of said this to myself 5 years ago I would of said I was crazy but I can see it happening. 20 years ago people wouldn't even be having this conversation... It's a sporting evolution and it WILL happen

Lol you are deluded.
We have been hearing the same thing yr after yr ...not just this yr .

& no matter how much spin you put on it the sport nosedives when a competitor comes along .
Well nosedive is being kind .

& your assertion that kids kids kids. Only go to sokka is laughable .

I go to as many RL games as I can & there are many many under 20 ,many many kids under 10 .

You keep giving your opinion as fact ,when there is absolutely nothing to back up your argument ..

Let's take The WSw hype ..
Sprouted by all as the biggest most popular team in WS .
Absolute bullshit .
Parra had more members
Higher WS crowd average .
TV ratings many times that of WSW.
& that is parra who are terrible ,winning wooden spoons ,& not won anything for nearly 30 yrs V a top of the table championship winning team .
You my friend have fell for the hype ,the over the top Bullshit .

So TV ratings are all you have to go on because it may suit your argument ?

If you want to talk about Soccer you should probably learn how to spell it first.

No .
I concede that participation wise it is miles ahead of anything else,
But does that transfer to popularity in the Aleague .
No .
See my post above .

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No .
I concede that participation wise it is miles ahead of anything else,
But does that transfer to popularity in the Aleague .
No .
See my post above .

yeh I did

you talked about growth, didn't Adelaide and Perth used to have NRL teams ?

Haffa

Isn't that the same as saying "Didn't Nth QLD and Gold Coast used to have A-League teams?".

Last edited: