What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are Sydney Clubs so Insular?

Perth Red

Post Whore
In recent times we have had the CEO's of Brisbane, Gold Coast and Melbourne speak out in favour of a Perth team. Why is it that you never hear a Sydney club CEO talk of expansion? Are they all afraid it may be their place a Perth team takes?

Nuke

Staff member
Agreed. If you knew your neck was on the chopping block, you wouldn't go about talking about the positives of expansion either I guess.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Self preservation would be the #1 reason.

Sydney clubs are struggling to survive while Non-Sydney clubs are flourishing. Some CEO see a Perth club as a threat to their spot in the comp based on all the rationalisation articles and discussions over the past 6 months.

Introduction of a Perth based club is yet more competition for Sydney clubs. A WA club would likely have a greater turnover of revenue than Sydney based clubs and prove to be a strong competitor both on and off the field.

Winning a premiership can often be seen as sign of a healthy and successful club both on and off the field. Since first grade Rugby League truely expanded to become a national game in '88 with the inclusion of the Broncos and Knights, Sydney clubs have won only 8 of the past 21 premierships (a remarkable figure when you consider the number of Sydney clubs in the competition). Melbourne and Brisbane alone account for 5 of the past 10 premiership wins since the NRL was formed.

Alehana

Juniors
i can see why the nrl is putting expansion on hold for a while, get their own backyard sorted out first, if a new team came in, it would be 1 step clopser to 1 or 2 sydney clubs going, but they should hurry up, its so slow this process, more talk than action.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't expect one straight away, and don't think Perth has been primed enough anyway. What we should be getting is an announcement that Perth is being looked at and a plan from the NRL to prime it ready for 2013. As it stands we will get to 2012 and still no action from the NRL.

dimitri

First Grade
I don't expect one straight away, and don't think Perth has been primed enough anyway. What we should be getting is an announcement that Perth is being looked at and a plan from the NRL to prime it ready for 2013. As it stands we will get to 2012 and still no action from the NRL.

Sad but true :(

LeagueXIII

First Grade
All this talk Sydney clubs are struggling is BS. It's just a smokescreen so News can justify no growth which means they don't have to pay more. Look every other sport is growing and as a result getting more money. However we have NO plan.

I'll bet you though after the next deal is signed which will take us through to 2017 which is what News want (that's the 20 years they wanted to get their money back). Then I think things will happen. Currently News is creating a perception league is struggling and AFL is all powerful. Unfortunately perception is reality and this is what the media creates ie. perception.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
i can see why the nrl is putting expansion on hold for a while, get their own backyard sorted out first, if a new team came in, it would be 1 step clopser to 1 or 2 sydney clubs going, but they should hurry up, its so slow this process, more talk than action.

The clowns that are runing the NRL are nothing but geniuss helping to destroy a great game. How much longer does the game have to wait to expand another 200 years:lol:. Just get rid of these Neville Nobodies now and the game just might grow.

Latest posts