What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the St. George-Illawarra Dragons chokers?

The Dragons are finished. Humiliated today by Canterbury-Bankstown, the former competition leaders are dropping to 5th or 6th. They have little chance of making the Grand Final, let alone winning it. The Broncos or Warriors will thrash them in the finals. It is clear that the Dragons are chokers.

Is it because the team has recently been without star playmaker Gareth Widdop?

Or is it because they have as coach a man named Mary?

Last edited:

McLovin

Staff member
Good question, Albert. I don't think asking here is wise as 9/10 posters simply have zero to minimal knowledge of the game. You will get alot of witty one liners but not much insight as to why they are falling in the standings.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
It's got to be a combination of burnout and mentality. You can't tell me this team has the quality across the park to dominate the comp early on, only to fall in the most embarrassing heap come August because of a lack of good players. For any team that is serious about the title, the last thing you need is to be a deer in the headlights at the pointy end.

Good question, Albert. I don't think asking here is wise as 9/10 posters simply have zero to minimal knowledge of the game. You will get alot of witty one liners but not much insight as to why they are falling in the standings.
It’s the coach.

That bloke doesn’t know how to build team momrntum over the course of a season.

He gets them pumped up to perform early with little regard for the longevity of his pack over a long season. The idiot doesn’t rest blokes or build young forward strength giving them a go.

McIdiot needs to go

mozza91

Coach
The downfall has been remarkable. I went and watched them play against us in Wollongong in Round 4 and they were as impressive as any team I’ve seen over the last few years. Forwards dominant, outside backs strong and the halves were brilliant.

It’s mind boggling and it’s not as simple as just blaming the McGregor or Hunt either.

The downfall has been remarkable. I went and watched them play against us in Wollongong in Round 4 and they were as impressive as any team I’ve seen over the last few years. Forwards dominant, outside backs strong and the halves were brilliant.

It’s mind boggling and it’s not as simple as just blaming the McGregor or Hunt either.
Not to be a merkin here but none of the backs even make your side

mongoose

Coach
their ball movement is slow, no support runners, no decoy runners, they just suddenly look clueless in attack. Maybe they're missing Widdop but I reckon its the coaching...