What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't rugby league get a crowd like that???

sooperdooper

First Grade
simple answer to your question.

rugby league isnt as passionate as footbal. there is nothing bigger in modern sport than the world cup for football. i for one hope i can get cash together to attend what will be the event of a lifetime.

rugby league is an ant compared to the size of football internationally and never, will never be anything compared to it.

i love my league but need to pay respect where it is due. it is due.

the thing is, if rugby league is so popular in australia why do more juniour kids play football? (soccer)

Misty Bee

First Grade
the thing is, if rugby league is so popular in australia why do more juniour kids play football? (soccer)

Mums worried about kids getting hurt. These same soccer playing kids follow NRL & AFL clubs in prefernce to soccer.

Misty Bee

First Grade
rugby league isnt as passionate as footbal. there is nothing bigger in modern sport than the world cup for football. i for one hope i can get cash together to attend what will be the event of a lifetime.

Just because it's bigger doesn't mean it's more passionate. I can't reecall a Soccer player defying a broken limb to keep playing. Looking at the fairies last night they'd be pleading for morphine if they'd chip a nail.

I also reckon there is plenty of Olympians that would disagree with your statemnt as well.

taxidriver

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Just because it's bigger doesn't mean it's more passionate. I can't reecall a Soccer player defying a broken limb to keep playing. Looking at the fairies last night they'd be pleading for morphine if they'd chip a nail.

I also reckon there is plenty of Olympians that would disagree with your statemnt as well.

then they would be wrong.

Look at the ratings, the World Cup totally demolishes the Olympics time and time again.

It IS the biggest event on the global sporting calendar

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty,
You got what you deserved. You tried to be complementary to these soccer girls and they have turned on you. Serve yourself right,

ouwet

Bench
Giallorosso i agree mate... I was at the game last night and it was f**king awesome! I will never forget it for the rest of mylife! I have never experienced anything like it... Siply awesome... I still have goosebumps all over my hands just thinking about it. That was my first ever game of Soccer... Never been before but now i'm pumped to go to Germany and probably will (Money the biggest issue), and i will go to a few A-League games now!

Rugby League the Greatest Game Of ALL!!!! Rugby League is my passion always has been always will be... GO YOU SOCCEROOS!

That game last night reminded me of why i don't follow soccer in Australia...BORING! You know how in a rugby league match when a team scores alot of points early on in the game you think of it as 'the points scored vs the clock' (eg: it's 16-0 after 12 minutes) - the same thing applied to that game last night but with penalties instead of points...even Rugby Yawnion is more fast-paced then that...and thats saying somthing!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Same reason the English crowds went nuts when they won the ashes
when your THAT long between drinks it makes the moment that much better
the cronulla fans will go wild too if they ever win a comp... all 20 of them

Palms

Juniors
I hope there wasn't too many flies landing on the uruguays' when they arrived..there would of been broken bones everywhere they are that soft!

panthersballboy

Juniors
I've been to quite a few SOO games at Telstra and the atmosphere would equal last night. I see what you mean about internationals though. I was at the 1st tri-nation game and the crowd was pretty bad. The ARU could have marketed the game a lot better. But I can see what people are saying as we see these players every week in the NRL, whereas how often do we get to see the top Aussie soccer players live. Still I think instead of bagging the soccer (it'll never be known as football here), Aussie Rugby league fans should go support the kangaroos and get the atmosphere pumping like it was last night.

taxidriver

Coach
panthersballboy said:
I've been to quite a few SOO games at Telstra and the atmosphere would equal last night. .

I've been to at least half a dozen SOO matches and even if you combined the atmosphere at all of them it wouldn't get to within a whisper of the atmosphere last night.

sooperdooper

First Grade
panthersballboy said:
I've been to quite a few SOO games at Telstra and the atmosphere would equal last night. I see what you mean about internationals though. I was at the 1st tri-nation game and the crowd was pretty bad. The ARU could have marketed the game a lot better. But I can see what people are saying as we see these players every week in the NRL, whereas how often do we get to see the top Aussie soccer players live. Still I think instead of bagging the soccer (it'll never be known as football here), Aussie Rugby league fans should go support the kangaroos and get the atmosphere pumping like it was last night.

the atmosphere at a SOO would equal last night? mate last night made SOO look like a game of golf

sooperdooper

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Congrats to the Socceroos - anyone not proud of 'em wouldn't know an Anzac from a jar of vegemite.

Having said that, for the first 100 minutes the game was like a wierd combination of chess and ballet. Boring tactical ball movemnet interspersed every 60 seconds with someone writhing in pain from the faintest of taps like a ballerina after a miss timed prance. It was like a game of Union - 300 penalties and the game decided by goals, although all the players looked thin and fit.

I was hoping for some wierd juxtaposition of sports and nationalities to occurr, so Nigel Vagana could come on and snot on of the Uraguayan fairies like they were Paul Deacon!

the uruguayians play like that, thats why they lost.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Mums worried about kids getting hurt. These same soccer playing kids follow NRL & AFL clubs in prefernce to soccer.

you have done research have you?
i would bet my arm and leg soccer jerseys would out sell NRL and AFL jerseys combined in Australia.

panthersballboy

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
the atmosphere at a SOO would equal last night? mate last night made SOO look like a game of golf

That is rubbish the crowd was loud for the first 10 minutes, after we scored and during extra time and the penalty shoot out. During Origin the crowd is loud the whole game, because lets face it league games give the fans more action to cheer about.

Raider_69

Post Whore
TBH when watching the only part that truely excited me was the shootout and when we scored
even ET i was never edge of my seat, cause goals are such a rarity i assumed the shootout was coming, and i was right

the shoot out thou was tense as!!

I'm a diehard league fan no question. But,

I was at my local hotel last night and the vibe was like nothing else I have ever experienced. Probably 1000 people packed the joint. When we won, Winning the Olympic Games was the only time I can recall something similar.

As for why league doesn't get that vibe, all the reasons have already been given in this thread. That doesn't mean League fans aren't passionate, no way at all.

If us winning last night didn't bring (at the very least) a smile to your face then you can't call yourself a true australian.