What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't rugby league get a crowd like that???

rabbitville

Swans vs Cats in this years finals was unbelievable....it was pretty sh!t game, but the last 15 mins was sensational.

Wait till Souths win a grand final, nothing will compare...

The rugby league has it's real (as far as the fans are concerned) as the origin and the real passion is there at those games. Go to Telstra or Suncorp for Origin and you'll get something a bit like Wednesday night. But I doubt you will ever see anything like last night for a while now.

Will be interesting to see how the Socceroos crowds react to them when going through Asia.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
simple answer to your question.

rugby league isnt as passionate as footbal. there is nothing bigger in modern sport than the world cup for football. i for one hope i can get cash together to attend what will be the event of a lifetime.

rugby league is an ant compared to the size of football internationally and never, will never be anything compared to it.

i love my league but need to pay respect where it is due. it is due.

the thing is, if rugby league is so popular in australia why do more juniour kids play football? (soccer)

Take it youve never seen any 0-0 dullsville games? So B-O-R-I-N-G!

Parraletic

Juniors
I'm a season ticket holder in the NRL, but wed night was the greatest sporting single sporting event this country has ever seen! Beat's the Olympics, thrashes the Melbourne Cup, & the Grand Finals in either code don't even come close! I have never been to anything like it & I never will as long as I live. you had to be there to understand & whether or not u follow soccer, you would be saying the same thing if you were there!

Go Australia!

Parraletic said:
I'm a season ticket holder in the NRL, but wed night was the greatest sporting single sporting event this country has ever seen! Beat's the Olympics, thrashes the Melbourne Cup, & the Grand Finals in either code don't even come close! I have never been to anything like it & I never will as long as I live. you had to be there to understand & whether or not u follow soccer, you would be saying the same thing if you were there!

Go Australia!

I'd like to back your comments up. I have been to GF's and Origins but Wedenesday nights Socceroos game was something special that will never be repeated again. It's very rare that 82000 fans vent there fury at the opposition team all in one go. It was an honor to be apart of and a night that i will never forget. Amazing!!

Red Bear

Referee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperdooper
simple answer to your question.

rugby league isnt as passionate as footbal. there is nothing bigger in modern sport than the world cup for football. i for one hope i can get cash together to attend what will be the event of a lifetime.

rugby league is an ant compared to the size of football internationally and never, will never be anything compared to it.

i love my league but need to pay respect where it is due. it is due.

the thing is, if rugby league is so popular in australia why do more juniour kids play football? (soccer)

Mums dont want their kids getting hurt in Footy. Look at the popular suport throughout Australia, its all League and AFL.

OVP

Coach
El Diablo said:
Bored me to tears. AFL is more entertaining and that's saying something.

Yeah but you are too stupid to appreciate anything except Fitzy's Vermin. I mean, you owned yourself ... what can i say ?

Schillaci

Juniors
"There's no other game in Australia that can generate that sort of patriotism and atmosphere than a game of football, you know. Especially when the Socceroos play. "
- Mark Viduka

Werd Mark :cool:

People on here laughed at me when I said the atmosphere at state of origins and nrl grand finals were poor. Go ask somebody who was at the game on wednesday night.

its not just a game its a religion

gaterooze

Bench
Then enjoy your 1 game every 4 years. I will too.

But like most "religious" people, you're discounting other "religions."

The celebrations in Newcastle in 1997 far outweighed anything from the other night. Every single person in the entire city was out on the streets all night. *250,000 people* turned out to civic park to cheer them (unlike the few hundred at the Domain for the Socceroos).

In North Queensland this year, *100% of the possible TV audience* watched them qualify for the NRL Grand Final, and you'd better believe there was passion to burn up there.

It's funny, for someone enamored with the "world game," you're terribly myopic.

Raider Ultra

Bench
gaterooze said:
The celebrations in Newcastle in 1997 far outweighed anything from the other night. Every single person in the entire city was out on the streets all night. *250,000 people* turned out to civic park to cheer them (unlike the few hundred at the Domain for the Socceroos).

Haha, I take it you didn't see the CBD or see Federation Square after the game. After Aloisi's penalty went in, people across the entire width and breadth of the country were celebrating, something rugby league will never, ever experience that. Those were single cities who were going for their first premiership (and dare I say it, the only noteworth thing either town has eve done), you'd expect celebrations like that. Soccer is the only sport that can truly galvanise the whole Australian sporting community.

JW

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Haha, I take it you didn't see the CBD or see Federation Square after the game. After Aloisi's penalty went in, people across the entire width and breadth of the country were celebrating, something rugby league will never, ever experience that. Those were single cities who were going for their first premiership (and dare I say it, the only noteworth thing either town has eve done), you'd expect celebrations like that. Soccer is the only sport that can truly galvanise the whole Australian sporting community.

You're raving on like it stopped the entire nation.

TV ratings would suggest otherwise.

gaterooze

Bench
Raider Ultra said:
Soccer is the only sport that can truly galvanise the whole Australian sporting community.

And yet less Australians watched it than any of the NRL GF, AFL GF or Union World Cup Final...

Tommy Smith

Referee
gaterooze said:
And yet less Australians watched it than any of the NRL GF, AFL GF or Union World Cup Final...
I thought mroe people watched it than the AFL GF? Something like 3.6 million? And that doesnt take into account the many, many thousands watching it at pubs across the nation like myself.

JW

Coach
Tommy Smith said:
I thought mroe people watched it than the AFL GF? Something like 3.6 million? And that doesnt take into account the many, many thousands watching it at pubs across the nation like myself.

Tommy, are you aware how ratings work and how they are collected?

JW

Coach
Exactly El D.

Tommy - you're quoting peaks for starters, I beleive. And in reference to your comment about people watching the game from pubs or clubs, you need to realise that these variables are factored into the final ratings results.

The statement that the WC Qualifier attracted a larger audience than both the AFL and NRL Grand Finals (and obviously State Of Origin) is absurd.

Across the 5 Oztam capitals, the Soccer WC Qualifier rated 2.197 million.

The '05 NRL Grand Final rated 2.5 million+, despite only being shown at a reasonable hour in 3 of the 5 OT capitals.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=104804&page=18&pp=15
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Grand-final-provides-TV-ratings-boom/2005/10/03/1128191644549.html

Per City:

Socceroos - NRL GF

Sydney: 797,000 - 1,267,000
Brisbane: 380,000 - 778,370
Melbourne: 637,000 - 514,000

Misty Bee

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
you have done research have you?
Yes, firstly as a soccer player who wasn't allowed to play league in the under 7's, so I dropped sport altogther - I was useless at soccer - never had the ball skills or the quick reflexes. So I never got the ball. So I quit, and took up other non sporting persuits.

And secondly as a junior soccer coach, seing a fair percentage of u 9's soccer players becoming u11 league players, when they got big enough to fall over and not cry, and big enough to argue with mum.

My boys all started playing soccer. Like dad, never terribly good, but they were better than I. After 2 seasons, they each decided to play League. Their own choice, not mine. I just helped them convince Mum. The point is that they could take a hit up, and with training, tackle well, so they got self esteem out of it. Constantly being beaten for the ball by smaller, quicker kids never gave them that.

BTW, I got enormous satisfaction as a soccer coach. Even reffed a few games, and loved that too.

sooperdooper said:
i would bet my arm and leg soccer jerseys would out sell NRL and AFL jerseys combined in Australia.

I hope you never have to scratch your arse while eating a hot dog.

sooperdooper said:
so you judge a game on how passionate it is on if people play with injuries?

these guys who played last night are world class athletes. som who play up to 50 or matches a year! plus training.

Yeah, playing with a broken bone is a sign of passion. Falling over writhing in pain because of a chipped fingernail doesn't equal passion.

sooperdooper said:
it being bigger does not make it more passionate? but how many sports in this world can have a genuine world cup? you could show a soccer ball to any kid in the world and they know what it represents, could you do that with a rugby league ball?

Rugby League
Cricket
Rugby Union
Netball
Hockey
Tennis
plus many more.

Cricket, at least, gets 4 continents excited. I hate the sport, but love it's international community. For one, it involves the subcontinent, therefore ONE country that is fanatical about it would dwarf the combined populations of the top 5 most populated soccer fanatic countries. (reckoned to be Brazil, Nigeria, England, France, Germany.)

sooperdooper said:
i think it is more passionate, due to the history, country representation, quality. and the diverse ethnic communities who live for the game, how many people in this forum say they live only for rugby league. doe our country revolve around league? do we depend on our teams to perform to live?

other countries do

So because a glut of countries without any economy play soccer, Australians have to be more passionate about it? Have a look around the world: Soccer is king in South America, and Europe. Africa - on par with Cricket. Asia: 3rd to Cricket and Table tennis. North America? Way behing Baseball, Basketball, Gridiron and Ice Hockey. Australia? Apart from one game every 4 years, it battles for popularity with Basketball.

Raider Ultra

Bench
On par with cricket in Africa? Are you taking the piss? Cricket is played seriously in one country. Soccer is played in every single other African country, with Africa arguably the third strongest confederation. Soccer is also the dominant sport in Asia, apart from the sub-continent. They are absolutely fanatical, even I was astounded by it.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I'd reckon Cricket in Sth Africa and Zimbabwe would make as big a mark as Soccer does elsewhere.

BTW, Asia INCLUDES the Subcontinent. So I rest my case.

Latest posts