What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did this fail?

applesauce

Bench
See title.

canterburyleaguesdevelo.jpg

Matchball

Bench
Also, this was just before the Olympics and after they saw what happened to the Hombush centre and said NO.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Finally, the paymaster walks

By Matthew Thompson, Kate McClymont, Anne Davies and Stephen Gibbs
August 27 2002

"I have never acted improperly or unlawfully in any position I have held" ... a defiant Gary McIntyre, centre, at the Bulldogs Leagues Club yesterday. Photo: Steven Siewert

The Oasis-salary cap scandal claimed further heads yesterday when the Bulldogs Leagues Club president, Gary McIntyre, resigned and the Liverpool mayor, George Paciullo, stood aside.

The ICAC commissioner, Irene Moss, also announced that she would not be involved in the inquiry because of her husband's position as head of Macquarie Bank.

Macquarie, which was initially involved in the controversial $900 million Oasis project, is suing the Bulldogs-Liverpool Council joint venture vehicle over banking fees.

On the steps of the Bulldog Leagues Club, a defiant but drained-looking Mr McIntyre resigned as president after a week of damaging publicity about his involvement in the club's million-dollar breach of the NRL's salary cap over the past two seasons.

He had already resigned as chairman of the Oasis joint venture vehicle.

Proclaiming his innocence, Mr McIntyre said: "I have never acted improperly or unlawfully in any position I have held ... I am confident that any inquiries or investigations ... will clear me of any wrongdoing."

He also denied reports that the new football club chief executive, Steve Mortimer, had asked him to go. Instead, his decision was made to preserve the reputation of both the Bulldogs Leagues Club and the Bulldogs Football Club and was not a concession of guilt.

In response to the Herald's revelations about payments to him from Bulldog-related companies, Mr McIntyre claimed that all money received by him from the leagues club was in the annual financial accounts, and therefore circulated to members. "What my company earns elsewhere in unrelated entities is not relevant."

The outgoing president also demanded to remain involved in any investigations to be held into the salary cap scandal, the Oasis project, or other related matters.

"I have made it a condition of my resignation that I be permitted to participate in any investigation ... in[to] the affairs of the Club or the Oasis project," he said.

The nature of this right to "participate" was left unclear, as at the end of his statement Mr McIntyre was immediately ushered back into the club.

Councillor Paciullo yesterday bowed to pressure from Liverpool Council's general manager, Brian Carr, to stand aside as mayor while ICAC inquired into possible misuse of council funds.

Last night a statement prepared by Cr Paciullo, who was not present, was read to a packed council meeting. Cr Paciullo, who has kept a low profile as the Oasis scandal has unfolded, said he was happy for ICAC "to look into allegations against my character" and that he would wait "for the umpire to hand down their [sic] decision".

He also said that following allegations about his travel "I will be asking the ICAC to assess these claims, and will offer them full assistance in their inquiries".

Mr Carr told the meeting that the council had resolved to take control of the Oasis development. (Before this, the council had no members on the joint venture vehicle, which was run by Mr McIntyre).

"Council officials have been in talks with the Bulldogs to restructure the foundation's board and make its dealings more transparent," he said.

To achieve this, three council staff, three respected local citizens and an independent chairman would be appointed to the foundation, said Mr Carr, who will act as interim chairman until a replacement is found.

Meanwhile, the ICAC deputy commissioner, Kieran Pehm, will preside over its inquiry following Mrs Moss's decision to step aside. Mal Brammer, a former assistant commissioner of the NSW Police, will run the investigation, which will begin with Liverpool Council officials today.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/26/1030053035396.html

Bulldogs' extra pay hidden in Oasis project, court told

March 10, 2004 - 3:14PM

Payments made to Bulldogs players in breach of the NRL salary cap were disguised as costs related to the so-called Liverpool Oasis project, a Sydney court was told today.

The Bulldogs League Club is being prosecuted under the Registered Clubs Act for failing to correctly record the payments as being made to players.

Instead, the payments were recorded as being made for "professional services" relating to the Oasis project and other developments, the NSW Licensing Court heard today.

After admitting in 2002 to breaching the NRL salary cap by $1 million over two years, the Bulldogs were fined $500,000 and stripped of their competition points, relegating the club to the bottom of the ladder.

Prosecutor Ian Lawry, for the Director of Liquor and Gaming, told the court today that, in the year ending October 31, 2000, the club breached the cap by $300,000, and by $750,000 the following year.

In 2002, the players were paid $120,000 above the cap, breaching the salary cap by a total of $1.17 million over three years, Mr Lawry said.

The prosecution alleges the club fabricated invoices from two companies, International Sports Design and International Sports Marketing, totalling about $1.5 million between December 1999 and June 2002.

But the invoices were "actually for payment to the players of the Bulldogs football club", documents tendered to the court said.

The league club has admitted to 17 of the 19 complaints levelled against it, relating to $500,000 paid to players.

But it disputes that it failed to disclose payments to players of $300,000 and $750,000, saying they were grants made by the league club to the football club.

Mr Lawry said the prosecution would seek to impose a $100,000 fine on the league club and to have its general manager, John Ballesty, banned from holding office for two years.

The Oasis project - a 35,000-seat football stadium, indoor basketball stadium, ice rink, water park, apartment complex and a leagues club - was to be a joint venture between Liverpool Council and Canterbury Leagues Club.

The Bulldogs pulled out of the $900 million development in Sydney's south-west in April, 2002 but Liverpool Council struck a deal with Macquarie Bank for a revamped version of the original plan, renamed Liverpool 2020.

AAP
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/10/1078594415604.html

Diesel

Referee
It's a missed opportunity but now looking forward Parea will be the new 30,000 western Sydney stadium

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Its a shame because Liverpool could really have used this.

All that extra building to graffiti on. Its a real wasted opportunity.

Stagger Lee

Bench
It was a shame that this project did not go through it would have been great for the future of RL with that stadium being used by the Dogs and no doubt other clubs as well. I could well see Tigers and Saints playing some of the bigger games there at least.

Would Jubilee Oval have been fully rebuilt if the Oasis stadium was around? possibly not.

Last edited: