What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support the team that you do.

Kaz

junior
Just wondering the reasons if any why or how you picked your NRL team.

Well before my team the Broncos came into the comp I followed Manly . :twisted:

I just liked the players. (Hey I was young then)

Then this team called the Brisbane Broncos were allowed to play in the comp & I didn't know who to go for (being a QLD'er). And they were playing my team Manly in their first game

I only decided go for the Broncos at kickoff & have been a fan ever since.

Roosterphin

Juniors
Roosters when I was small.....because my best friend did

Then the Steelers when they came in because they were my local team when I was growing up. But after being taken over by the dragqueens I couldnt support them anymore so back to the Roosters.

Moved to Brissy many years ago but could never bring myself to support the ponies. But do support the Mighty Dolphins.

Newcastle because of the hometown factor. Didn't have a team before that in the NSWRL competition. I had a Dragons football, but it didn't mean anything.

In the Newcastle league I've always been a fan of Lakes. But over the past few years I've come to befriend a few players from the Scorpiens, Butcher Boys and now the Rosellas. So I more or less see everyone play here.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i was a youngen and was watching football and green was my fav colour, then when i saw Daley and Stuart run around i was a raiders fan

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Living in the St George area....i knew i couldnt support a team wearing practically all white...looked a bit queer :? and i use to love going to canberra when i was young (im not a freak) and Watchin meninga, stuart and daley play is unforgettable.

When I was young I supported Newtown and when the NSWRL removed them in 1983. I decided wherever John Ferguson goes to that's who I will go for. So since 1984 a Rooster. Also get out to see the Jets at Henson when possible. But the passion is for the Roosters now. I was only 11 when Newtown were gone.

brook

First Grade
Most of my family are saints supporters

I was raised in Balmain though and happened to be baptised by one of the few men I've ever met who could give laurie nichols a run for his money in terms of his dedication to Balmain - Old Father Murphy who was the parish priest at Balmain at the time.

He made my mother swear to raise me as a tigers supporter and (not wanting to lie to a priest) she did. Add that to going to school in Balmain in the 80's and I never had a chance - there couldn't have been any other team for me.

Now as I look back I consider it divine intervention ;-)

DIEHARD

----
Broncos since 88, was the biggest fan of them. But have gone very cold on them in the last few years due to them becoming over commericalised. I see very little left to support except the players. Change their colours, logo and jersey every 30 seconds. I still see Broncos colours as Maroon, white and gold not friggin blue. And their jerseys are ridiculous. At some point you just have to realise that you are being taken for a ride.

Hence Ive started supporting the Rabbitohs, they may suck but they offer what I want a club not a franchise. I can wear my Rabbitohs jersey and colours with pride.

Im looking forward ultimately to a 2nd Brisbane club, hopefully based on the northside, representing northern suburbs, shires and the sunshine coast. A cross town rival to the broncos. A prospect I think would benifit each club and rugby league greatly in Brisbane.

I'm very very excited at the prospect of the Gold Coast joining the NRL. I just hope they are more club than franchise. When they come in, they will be my #1 team. Years ago during Super league I used to go to every Broncos, Crushers and used to travel to the Gold Coast to see the Chargers play.

I also like the Cowboys, Melbourne and Penrith.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Raiders 2004 said:
Living in the St George area....i knew i couldnt support a team wearing practically all white...looked a bit queer :? and i use to love going to canberra when i was young (im not a freak) and Watchin meninga, stuart and daley play is unforgettable.

If not choosing a team because of Colour.

I think Thats Queer LOL.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

I know who you are. You spoke to me after the raiders dragons game along princess highway, Near Red Rooster, with your face painted.

Is that You..??

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
The brisbane thing sounds like what happened with the raiders...became too corporate...but now the club has been giving back to the fans...the tradition and colours are back and the club is stronger than ever!! 8)

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:

I know who you are. You spoke to me after the raiders dragons game along princess highway, Near Red Rooster, with your face painted.

Is that You..??

No. I refuse to speak and associate with dragons fans.
Oh plus the fact St George were hopeless....92-93... :roll:

Rustay

Juniors
I go for Cronulla because my dad did. Now i am a bigger fan than him. Living in Perth there was not a local team to follow so i stuck with Cronulla. When the Western Reds came in i went for them too, but only because they were local.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Raiders 2004 said:
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:

Is that You..??

No. I refuse to speak and associate with dragons fans.
Oh plus the fact St George were hopeless....92-93... :roll:

So your one of those Dorks that follows teams that win grand finals when your deciding who to support. So your fickle. Like most roosters. Not surprised your not following them then.

My brother in law follows the broncos as does another mate, and my best man is a raider.

Non of them come from these places. They only followed them, because when they were growing up, that's who were winning.

As for my brother in law, he can not handle losses, so he changed to the broncos from a Rooster LOL.

I honestly, NO OFFENCE, don't have respect for Traitors, who can not handle Down times.

Success goes in circle my freinds. Raiders, wont see any of that for a long time.

The Colonel

Immortal
I have been a Parramatta supporter since pre-school in 1978 because my best mate at the time wore a Parra jersey most days which I really liked.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Raiders havent won anything since 1994, and they have had low years...and guess what...im still a supporter. That's me being a Raiders fan for for Over 14 years. I've supported Canberra since i've been able to understand league. Big deal, i dont like st george because they wear white...personal preference. You think i have respect for the Dragqueens. Your probably one of those ppl that go for the dragons because they won watever amount of premierships in a row. When i was young, i never liked league, but i use to watch it here and there, and use to be in awe watching how Ricky Stuart played. Call me a bandwagon supporter or watever u want...Carefactor is zero.
And as for Raiders not seeing any success for a long time...lets see 1982 to now...
Raiders Premiership Success vs Dragons Premiershup Success...

The only good thing dragons have done in recent times is lose Grand Finals. #-o

Parki

Bench
I used to be a Sharks Fan, then in 1996 I was albeit briefly, a Roosters Fan. Then, in 1997 my hometown team won the ARL, and I saw everyone go nuts about this team called the knights. I jumped on the bandwagon and dont intend to get off anytime soon. I attended my first serious knights match in 1998, and have been to nearly every home game since. In the last 2 years ive been to nearly every away game as well.... Something about this team, i dunno.... id like to think its the pride of the hunter

Oh I also support the mermaids too, because they are just so fine I cant help but be jealous....our cheersquad up here is good, but they dont have anything on the mermaids