What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does every commentator shout all the time now?

DeeJ

Bench
I think it's a reflection of current society and media. Everyone loves heightened emotions - endless tears on reality tv or in interviews, reaction videos on YouTube. Even opinions change as everything has to be the best or the worst or be ignored.

Darrell Eastlake was an absolute force.

But many of the modern day commentators sound forced.

Eastlake was one of a kind. An absolute natural. But in the modern era, with new levels of media/social media - too many people think shouting/yelling/angry/outrage is the way to get attention.

Eastlake didn’t seek attention. He got it through drawing people in.

Those today are seeking attention from the next person shouting, so they shout louder and louder.

The Rosco

Bench
I'm going to say this. Matt Nable never shouted. Yet he got sacked.

Something wrong with the world.
No, matt Nable didn't get sacked. he was shot and died on Mr Inbetween.
I saw it with my own eyes.
Aside from that . . . you should try watching a game when you follow a shit team.
Like, I get that my stupid fkkn WT lose most games, but the bias and pre-emptive ejaculations that any of the merkins calling games spew out of their mouths, is indeed annoying.

typicalfan

Coach
Even worse is they decide to go away from being the play by play caller and become the colour commentator. Vossy and Smith are particularly bad at this.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's across other sports too. Does anyone else watch f1 ? David Croft shouts so much he would give Dan a run for his money

I guess some TV executives think fans like it but it's getting a bit old having some maniac screaming during sports. I do enough of that on my own at the Raiders

big hit!

Bench
It's across other sports too. Does anyone else watch f1 ? David Croft shouts so much he would give Dan a run for his money

I guess some TV executives think fans like it but it's getting a bit old having some maniac screaming during sports. I do enough of that on my own at the Raiders

The start of an F1 race with Crofty is annoying as f**k. He doesn't just shout, but the pitch of his voice rises three octaves as well. You need to have the right voice to be able to shout IMO. I don't know how Brundle handles it race after race. Maybe earplugs

Murray was much better

LineBall

Juniors

Yeah, Crofty does like to get shouty.

big hit!

Bench
Yeah Murray Walker was as quiet as a church mouse. Are you for real?

Nah he was better at it - took a breath and knew when the time was right. Croft will keep shouting non-stop for two laps at the start of each race and not even take a breath

Das Hassler

Bench
Yes....way too much yelling in an already too noisy world...I often listen to ABC radio coverage but even they have gone louder is better...the commentary team are good enough but the yelling hiphop noise orgy of an intro to their coverage goes on for a ridiculously long time...give it a rest fellas ...also..in regards their intro music choice. ...someone should mention that their kids ..or grandchildren's friends probably aren't listening to abc grandstand Saturday and Sunday afternoon ...if they are then they won't be too interested in your musings about Scott Tronk or Herman Hamilton...figure out who your audience is ...and isn't.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I can only think it's something that came down on high from fox sports to make games sound more "exciting"?

The tabloidisation of rugby league doesn't sit well with me. Fox sports has gone the way of every other murdoch gutter outlet.
I agree that some of the Fox League commentators ‘shout’, but Psaltis & Thompson are in the Ginnane category for that.