What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why GI Chose Queensland

Vee

First Grade
Just finished a book by journalist Joe gorman called Heartland - How RL Explains Qld. Traces the history of RL in Qld from the bad old days pre-Origin to the end of 2015.

He documents how Qld always had more indigenous players and how that pulled the whole state together while, he argues, NSW kooris were never held in the same esteem south of the border. It was a murri boy's way out of the gutter and garnered respect not otherwise available in good old racist Qld.

Reckons this caused a lot of kooris to support Qld because a man's football ability was all that counted. Says that was the biggest factor when GI had to tick a box. Yes, his Storm mates played for Qld and that made it easier but the black perception was a big part of it.

Anyone able to comment on one way or the other?

Definitely worth a read. Qlders will get it and nod sagely, Blues will reject it en masse as more Qld bs I guess.

The_Frog

First Grade
Just finished a book by journalist Joe gorman called Heartland - How RL Explains Qld. Traces the history of RL in Qld from the bad old days pre-Origin to the end of 2015.

He documents how Qld always had more indigenous players and how that pulled the whole state together while, he argues, NSW kooris were never held in the same esteem south of the border. It was a murri boy's way out of the gutter and garnered respect not otherwise available in good old racist Qld.

Reckons this caused a lot of kooris to support Qld because a man's football ability was all that counted. Says that was the biggest factor when GI had to tick a box. Yes, his Storm mates played for Qld and that made it easier but the black perception was a big part of it.

Anyone able to comment on one way or the other?

Definitely worth a read. Qlders will get it and nod sagely, Blues will reject it en masse as more Qld bs I guess.
I think he said as much himself, didn't he?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sure, but where is he was born is in NSW?

Cannot say I know the traditional names but he is from NSW, Kempsey we call it.

Not from any tribe in Qld, again do not know the correct for name Wavell Heights.

But as you say he chose QLD.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Greg's mob is Dhunghutti - Mid North Coast of NSW roughly from Kempsey up to the Nambucca. For those not overly familiar with those areas, it's north of Port Macquarie and South of Coffs Harbour...most of his life growing up was in Bowraville
Cheers for the info, I like to learn something everyday. Not QLD

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The issue I have is that he chose who he wanted to play with. Basically everyone else has rules determine who they are eligible to be selected for.

Didn’t NSW have Gasnier and Cooper as SOO centres. Were seen as long term players. NSW didn’t give a shit and just said ‘yeah, let the kid play for Qld if they’re that desperate to play him, we don’t need him’?
Even if not true or there’s a semblance of truth, sounds like the stupid shit NSW would do.