What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is a precedent set when it's one of ours?

This Year?

Immortal
Friz gets 2 matches for touching a ref, no other player gets charged with JT and other players touching refs after the rule was introduced without being charged.

McInnes gets penalised for passing into an opposition player in the ruck. No other player penalised ( I can't think of any other instance after the rule was changed).

JDB gets stood down for being on trial for alleged assault of a woman an off season where other players have made headlines for offences and have not been stood down.

Is the club and it's players being treated differently to others?

Friz gets 2 matches for touching a ref, no other player gets charged with JT and other players touching refs after the rule was introduced without being charged.

McInnes gets penalised for passing into an opposition player in the ruck. No other player penalised ( I can't think of any other instance after the rule was changed).

JDB gets stood down for being on trial for alleged assault of a woman an off season where other players have made headlines for offences and have not been stood down.

I might be mistaken, but I recall Segeyaro getting done for a pass into a player

BLM01

First Grade
I might be mistaken, but I recall Segeyaro getting done for a pass into a player

Was'nt his attempted Captain obvious flaunting of the rule was one of the ones that bought the rule change when he threw it over the sideline missing his mark. The Parra one where a player bounced it on the head of a player lying on the ground was laughable. I am sure McInnes was the 1st?

mxlegend99

Referee
Sam Mckendry copped a suspension in 2016 for that.

McKendry became the third player this year to be found guilty of touching a referee after Parramatta captain Kieran Foran and Brisbane speedster James Roberts had accepted early guilty pleas in the first three weeks. However, the NRL’s crackdown on contact with match officials came into question when vision of Mitchell Moses, Trent Merrin, Corey Norman and Jamie Soward touching referees surfaced however none was charged.
The inconsistency is ridiculous though.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I try to ignore it’s our player here, and think about what is right. Yes, if it was Cam Smith we all know it would be vastly different, but the situation is extremely serious so I u derstand the difficulty in deciding what to do...

Still, I feel uncomfortable about this.
- firstly, retroactive rulings like this that seem setup to specifically to affect a single player, but not others are concerning (11yrs seems set to specifically put the line under JDB but otherwise seems arbitrary, however I do not know the sentencing rules so there may be reasons to choose this level that hasn’t been made clear).
- without this change of rules, the player charged will suffer hugely once this is in the media, and if found guilty there career is done, their name dirt etc. Not to mention the gaol sentence.
- proving guilt is hard, as is proving innocence - by putting himself in the situation he has tarred himself for life, and may never play again. At best he is out of the game for 2 years it looks like.
- let me be clear, if he is guilty, I hope he is found guilty and sentenced to the max. (But I feel we will never know for sure)
- I kinda like the idea of enforcing a strong stance against this kind of behaviour, and fully support hardline sentencing by the courts. I also believe that public figures can be used to demonstrate the laws of society... they are paid well and must set a good rather than bad example
- However, I feel deeply concerned that an innocent person could suffer greatly. It’s easy to say that he put himself in the position ( and I think he did from what I heard), but it’s probably impossible not to leave yourself vulnerable
- imagine that approaching finals, a fan of one team creates a potential situation to setup a key player from another team... I am saying that it could be abused and the effect on that player could be huge, regardless of guilt. Yes, they need to be charged, but with planning this probably is far from impossible. ( there are also the regret situations that by the new ruling will force a different behaviour of players... )
- I can see that consistency WILL be a huge issue

So to finish up, i don’t think there is a good solution to this, and although I think player behaviour needs to be cracked down on, punishing prior to being found guilty is deeply disturbing to me. BTW is it not expedient to somehow fast track the case in the interest of public benefit? (Being such a public case) 2 years down the track, accused vs. Victims word isn’t better, and surely the evidence is rather clear already? It’s not like they need more time to determine the result. I realise that the rules should be the same for all, but this is such a public case that it is different...

understand the sentiment of the ARL.

Support setting high standards of conduct for players, officials and clubs.

Don’t support standing players down until they are proved guilty of a charge.

ARL and not Saints should pay JDB or ARL should provide our club with $600,000 compensation to sign another player.

Was'nt his attempted Captain obvious flaunting of the rule was one of the ones that bought the rule change when he threw it over the sideline missing his mark. The Parra one where a player bounced it on the head of a player lying on the ground was laughable. I am sure McInnes was the 1st?
Hmmm you just might be into something on that one mate

kit66

Bench
Didn’t the whole “6 tackle” thing come into existence because of the dragons?

I think you're right.
The 7 tackle, 20 mtr restart came from Soward's ploy of kicking the ball dead as well.

Edit : Just noticed Datramp said exactly the same thing. Sorry mate.

Last edited:

possm

Coach

I'd say we continue to have a weak Board and CEO that does not have the guts to stand up for our players.

Lewish33

Juniors
I don't give a toss who is starts with. Only that the NRL sets a clear precedent from now on. No more 'discretion' or grey areas. The league cannot afford another off season like it just had
The problem is the decision to only instantly suspend players charged with offences that could land jail time of 11 years or more, while having discretion over cases with a maximum term of under 11 years.
That'll go back to seeing certain people and teams having supposed favouritism.

This whole rule has obviously been made only with the intention of rubbing Debelin out, with no real thought into rubbing overall bad behaviour out. Eg domestic violence may still fall under discretionary powers