What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why the end of season losing-streaks?

Dazzat

First Grade
Well it's become a pattern now. Any theories as to why this is continuing to happen?

slava

Juniors
cos wayne doesn't coach the modern way. he thinks he can still win by teaching them the old school ways

Dazzat

First Grade
Did you hear the the press conference after the Storm game where Bennett said that he doesn't coach his players to slow the play the ball down. Other coaches do. If you notice the Broncos forward - Webke, Civ, Thorn etc - never dive on the ground looking for quick play the balls. Instead they struggle and strive for every metre.

I reckon, when it comes to the business end of the season, other teams begin getting desperate and try anything to win games, and do things such as slowing down the play the ball, diving in tackles. The Broncos don't, and that's why they struggle toward the 'business' end of the season.

Frankly, I take my hat off to them. On Saturday night, it was obvious that the Storm were slowing down the play the ball by getting off the tackle player one-at-a-time. If there were three in a tackle, the top guy would get off, then the second, then the bottom, when in fact, they could all get off together. On the other hand, the Broncos would all get off together.

And as we saw in the Orford no try incident, the officials are fairly easily fooled.

broncoman

Juniors
as i said in the other thread i think losing in Origin has something to do with it. The confidence of our players gone down and club form has suffered. The players have talent and wayne still knows how to coach, i cant see any other reasons...
perhaps we are training too much, too hard too early in the season and we just are wrecked before the season ends...

slava said:
cos wayne doesn't coach the modern way. he thinks he can still win by teaching them the old school ways

To me there is a little truth in this. I think the big athletic mobile forwards of some teams in Sydney is a better formula than our size only method.

Mr Saab

Referee
broncoman said:
as i said in the other thread i think losing in Origin has something to do with it. The confidence of our players gone down and club form has suffered. The players have talent and wayne still knows how to coach, i cant see any other reasons...
perhaps we are training too much, too hard too early in the season and we just are wrecked before the season ends...

losing origin has nothing to do with it.
In 2000 they lost 3-0 to NSW, including the game 3 smashing...Brisbane went on to win the comp.
In 2001 they won the Origin and slumped
In 2002 they drew/retained Origin and slumped

I have NFI why they do it. Some yrs like 2003/4 they had injuries at the back end, but this yr they didnt have as many excuses as the slump started even with a full strength team

It is our 5th tackle options, the kicking game in general, and our wingers.

Seymour hasn't been the revellation people claimed he would be. He is solid, but isn't prepared to take control when Lockyer is there. All the good sides have both halves contributing.

Dazzat

First Grade
Agree with that about Seymour. He has ability, but because Lockyer's there he hasn't been 'put under the blow-torch' yet, where the team win's and loses on the back of his plays. I was impressed with how he played earlier this year when Lockyer was gone.

And, there's no connection (a-la Walters/Langer) between Seymour and Lockyer. They very rarely interplay and put the other side in two minds ... it's either Seymour or Lockyer ...

Yep, good point.

Seymour needs to back himself a bit more and stop playing in Lockyer's shadow and step up. There have been glimpses of what he is capable of over the year, but he needs to do it more.

realredhillboy

Juniors
hate to bring this up but it could be the "lang park curse" with lang park being built of a cemetary.
case: broncos didn't win a premiership till they moved from lang park
case 2: broncos havent won a premiership since returning to suncorp
case 3: sth qld crushers died while based at suncorp
case : brisbane srikers died while at suncorp [correct me if i'm wrong}
it'll be interesting to see what happens with queensland roar...
thats just a "spiritual " reason for the broncos slump. they are a good team with talented players and a talented coach... even though i detest them.. this seems "too" out of charachter for the broncos

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I think that part of the problem is the way the bench is used (e.g. usually thaiday has to wait till the last 20mins no matter how the teams going), and the fact that young players (in particular forwards) are often brought along at a really slow pace. Take saints, they have a lot of eager young players who's exuberance rubs off onto senior players. When penrith won a few years back they had the same thing,and when parra won everything except the trophy in 2001 they did it on the back of exuberance and energy.

abdogg_85

Juniors
realredhillboy said:
hate to bring this up but it could be the "lang park curse" with lang park being built of a cemetary.
case: broncos didn't win a premiership till they moved from lang park
case 2: broncos havent won a premiership since returning to suncorp
case 3: sth qld crushers died while based at suncorp
case : brisbane srikers died while at suncorp [correct me if i'm wrong}
it'll be interesting to see what happens with queensland roar...
thats just a "spiritual " reason for the broncos slump. they are a good team with talented players and a talented coach... even though i detest them.. this seems "too" out of charachter for the broncos

The strikers died at perry park which is where they played last year and before that they were at ballymore. The roar are the only soccer team to play at suncorp.

jimmy_pop

Juniors
The losing streak happenes cos of injuries. this year we could've won some of the games that were lost. But Bennet decided not to play key players and save them for the 1st final, which we lost anyway. THose injured keyplayers didn't have enough time to play in the games leading up to the finals and couldn't hadle it when the time came around.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think it comes down to the backline, personally. In 2000, you've got:

1. Lockyer
2. Tuqiri
3. De Vere
4. Carroll
5. Sailor

and the halves Ikin and Walters. Look at this year:

1. Hunt
2. Bott
3. Berrigan
4. Hodges
5. Minto

The halves Lockyer and Seymour. To me, that is a huge difference - particularly on the wings.