What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why wasn`t Hayne penalised for a strip

coolsteve

Juniors
When Hayne stopped Big Sam from scoring, why wasn`t he penalised for a 2 on 1 strip? Obviously was someone around Sams legs. I`m happy with the result , just wondering

Canard

Immortal
I think there's an exception to that rule if the player is in the act of scoring a try

There definitely is.

That's why I still don't understand why QLD were penalised for doing the same thing to Greg Bird when he attempted to score in the lead up to the Hodgkinson try?

Did the ref call something else, that I missed at the pub?

watatank

Coach
There definitely is.

That's why I still don't understand why QLD were penalised for doing the same thing to Greg Bird when he attempted to score in the lead up to the Hodgkinson try?

Did the ref call something else, that I missed at the pub?

He was tackled short of the line.

Danish

Referee
The ball came lose because Thaiday tried to extend his arm over the line. Clearly a loose carry.

If he'd kept a firm grip on the ball a slight glance by Hayne's hand would not have dislodged it and he'd had scored.

betcats

Referee
Similar to the Lewis one in game 1, he wasnt in the act of scoring but Inglis sticks his hand in hits and dislodges the ball and its a NSW knock on.

If they said Hayne stripped it then it has to be a QLD try.

Sime_11

Juniors
thaiday loses posession (thru Hayne is the legit way of saving a try) as Hayne touches etc, comes a knock on. fair call from me.

however do agree that Qld should not have been penalised for Bird attempt in 2nd half. same result shoulda happened (Qld scrum, possession of the ball)

nick87

Coach
Did hayne actively strip the ball?
I hate that in this game we have no onus on the ball carrier to secure possession

if the fullback coming across trying to make a ball and all tackle, can make contact with the ball and jar it free, that's a loose carry and should be a knock on. It was called as such here and is ruled that way in the process of scoring a try but it shouldnt matter where it is, if minimal contact on the ball is all that's needed to dislodge the ball, you shouldn't be rewarded

Joker's Wild

Coach
Similar to the Lewis one in game 1, he wasnt in the act of scoring but Inglis sticks his hand in hits and dislodges the ball and its a NSW knock on.

If they said Hayne stripped it then it has to be a QLD try.

Not quite. The rule is the ball has to be regathered before touching the ground. At best, Thaiday regathered at the same time as the ball touched the ground which technically would not have been awarded

Canard

Immortal
I wasn't that "controversial" to be honest, its a fair enough decision. Similarly if it went the other way,I wouldn't be that fussed.

Make no mistake though, that was a game winning play from Hayne. Thaiday scores there QLD wins, no doubt.

betcats

Referee
Not quite. The rule is the ball has to be regathered before touching the ground. At best, Thaiday regathered at the same time as the ball touched the ground which technically would not have been awarded

If Hayne strips it then it is a NSW knock back and play on, the ball hits the ground and thaiday grounds it, unless you are saying Hayne stripped it and then thaiday managed to knock on after the strip, which I just cant see.

IF thaiday is ruled to have dropped it then yes he has to regather possesion before the ball touches grass, but if they had of ruled Hayne stripped it then it should of been play on and the next thing that happens is thaiday lands on the ball.

I am happy for it to be called a loose carry and knock on.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
If Hayne strips it then it is a NSW knock back and play on, the ball hits the ground and thaiday grounds it, unless you are saying Hayne stripped it and then thaiday managed to knock on after the strip, which I just cant see.

IF thaiday is ruled to have dropped it then yes he has to regather possesion before the ball touches grass, but if they had of ruled Hayne stripped it then it should of been play on and the next thing that happens is thaiday lands on the ball.

I am happy for it to be called a loose carry and knock on.

Hmmm true. Originally I thought it touches Sams fore arm after being knocked out but having another look its hard to say that happened.

However, isnt their a new rule that the ball has to be grounded with control? Id have thought that having the ball come loose by any means would require more than Sam just falling onto it and grounding it with his chest

God-King Dean

Immortal
Hmmm true. Originally I thought it touches Sams fore arm after being knocked out but having another look its hard to say that happened.

However, isnt their a new rule that the ball has to be grounded with control? Id have thought that having the ball come loose by any means would require more than Sam just falling onto it and grounding it with his chest

The moment it left Thaiday's hands, it was no try, according to the new rules.

Before, all you need was downward pressure if it came loose.

betcats

Referee
Yeah that^ is case because the ruling was he dropped it or a loose carry.

If they had of ruled that hayne played at it and stripped it, then the ball hits the ground and is play on, thaiday doesnt have to catch it from a Hayne Knock back, he can ground it after it hits the ground Its like putting your hands on a grubber and scoring.

coolsteve

Juniors
Steve, suck it up buddy, the shields in its rightful place in NSW.....
er, yes . I follow NSW. But was just wondering how if Hayne stripped it and sam fell on it , why no try? Back in the day when I played, the coach would have torn strips of you for not keeping a tighter grip on the ball,lol. anyway, happy with result